Canucks 2011 Playoff Run

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Ravi wrote:Any chance that the Canucks will turn to their backup goalie for Game 6? Also, does anyone else think that Luongo was injured at the end of the first period of Game 4 and is trying to play through it (unsuccessfully)?
Luongo's 12 year multi million dollar contract dictates that he is the starter for game 6. Had Schneider shown any better, perhaps the change would have taken place, but he hasn't been lights out either.
however, if we can only keep one next yr, I would go with Cory, as I beleive he is younger, cheaper, and would stay longer, as well as looking just about as good a player, possibly might be better some day.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Rammer
Team Captain

KnowItAll wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Ravi wrote:Any chance that the Canucks will turn to their backup goalie for Game 6? Also, does anyone else think that Luongo was injured at the end of the first period of Game 4 and is trying to play through it (unsuccessfully)?
Luongo's 12 year multi million dollar contract dictates that he is the starter for game 6. Had Schneider shown any better, perhaps the change would have taken place, but he hasn't been lights out either.
however, if we can only keep one next yr, I would go with Cory, as I beleive he is younger, cheaper, and would stay longer, as well as looking just about as good a player, possibly might be better some day.
What will you offer me for a goalie earning $6M+ for the next dozen seasons with a no trade contract for 5 years or so, that is only gently used in playoff mode?
Entertainment value = an all time low
Ravi
Legend

I guess that it is Luongo or bust in Game 7.
Rammer
Team Captain

Ravi wrote:I guess that it is Luongo or bust in Game 7.
If there isn't a round two for the Canucks in 2011, don't expect to see any Luongo busts out here.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

As Yogi Berra said: "Deja vu all over again."

I hate the Blackhawks. Starting with Toews. Then Bolland. Then Kane. Then Quenneville.

And I would like to have Toews on my team. Although he has not contributed scoring, he has been the leader we saw last year.

Did the Blackhawks expose weaknesses on the Canucks, as Toews suggested they had not done as of game 3?

I can't help but think our Canucks need more of that gritty Canadian leadership, of the type provided by Jonathan Toews, Duncan Keith, Dave Bolland and Brent Seabrook.

Our guys are good, especially in the regular season, but we do not know yet if they have the intestinal fortitude that is required to win 16 games in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, the toughest championship in sports.

We could still win game 7, but the results of games 4, 5 and 6 give much cause for concern. We did play better in game 6 than we had in the previous 2 games.

I think these comments are reasonable, and I do not intend to insult the most die-hard of the Canucks fans, some of whom do not want to hear any criticism.

IMO ...
Rammer
Team Captain

WCJ, don't bother to patronize to the members who find your viewpoints "negative", reality bites every now and then. :beer:

Does anyone else find it funny that the Canucks announced that Luongo is starting tomorrows game? Schneider looks like he will be recovering for some time to me after that monster shift on the penalty shot.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
Rammer wrote: Luongo's 12 year multi million dollar contract dictates that he is the starter for game 6. Had Schneider shown any better, perhaps the change would have taken place, but he hasn't been lights out either.
What will you offer me for a goalie earning $6M+ for the next dozen seasons with a no trade contract for 5 years or so, that is only gently used in playoff mode?
still puzzling over what exactly you are saying or asking?? However, if you are describing cory, then I offer you luongo. I think.

I thought the canucks had a good chance to win this series with cory. Now, with luongo, I dont.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

BIG GAME - ENJOY. I'M GOING DOWN WITH THE SHIP.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Canu ... story.html

Mike Gillis complains about the uneven, unfair refereeing in the series.

Sometimes the refereeing in the NHL makes me sick.

So much of the outcome of a game depends on it.

It seems to me it is more of a factor in hockey than in any other game. The penalty kill and power play seem to be the difference in so many games.

And in this series I can't help but think that the refereeing looks very biased. Disgusting. It makes the game a sham.

'Nuff said.

Busted. Disgusted. Referees can't be trusted.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

don't let the man get you down.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Iffy call on Burrows in OT. Keith went down on a feather touch. AB should not have touched him. Toews to Sharp on their fave play. Keerist.

Luongo was excellent. Crawford was even better, keeping the Hawks in the game, and also last game.

The rookie finished with 36 saves in what Hawks coach Joel Quenneville called, "one of the greatest goaltending performances in a clutch situation you're ever going to see." I agree, and I hated to see it.

How do you slay a dragon? How do you exorcize a demon? It ain't easy.

Toews. Bolland. The ghosts of Buffy the Vampire, Burish, Ladd and Versteeg. Gawdddd. Tough to drive stakes through all those hearts.

But our guys did it.

And that sunuva Toews has some weird magic about him.

Anyway we finally slayed them.

"We're not going to be sore losers," Toews said. "You have to show some respect for the team that beat you. We've had some good series in the past, but I have to say, that has been the best one. It was back and forth and who would have thought we'd be one goal away from a 3-0 comeback?"

Higgins has played great. Lapierre also. Great, great pickups at deadline.

Raymond has his game back.

Kesler and Burrows great together again.

Finally some semi-gracious comments from Toews.

Any heart attacks out there? Not easy to watch games like that. Harder than the Olympics.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Watched both the Montreal and Vancouver series tonight. Hard on the old ticker. Alex Burrows was both good and bad tonight. Good: scored the first and winning goal. Bad: missed a penalty shot, turned over the puck which lead to Toews' tying goal and took a stupid penalty in overtime which could have ended the Canucks' season.
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

HOLY MOLY.
Rammer
Team Captain

Won the series in about 3 more games than necessary. Best part is that the Canucks came out of round one relatively injury free, just a little more wear and tear on the body than they should have. Very nice to win that series, however they can't have the mental letdown going into the Nashville series with the victory over their nemesis on an emotional level.
Spud387
Champion

Rammer wrote:Won the series in about 3 more games than necessary. Best part is that the Canucks came out of round one relatively injury free, just a little more wear and tear on the body than they should have. Very nice to win that series, however they can't have the mental letdown going into the Nashville series with the victory over their nemesis on an emotional level.
Agreed as Salo being day to day is better than expected. He hsa a career avg of being injured every 16 games :)