Jim Robson - 1964 Grey Cup Post Game

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

AC/DC Rocks
Champion

Always good to hear Robsons voice,
and I thought he just did hockey,
nice find, very nostalgic.
Bighill is Badass
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Jim Robson was also the voice of the Vancouver Mounties of the Pacific Coast League .
AC/DC Rocks
Champion

that was a bit before my time
but I have probably heard that on sports talk before
Bighill is Badass
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

Excellent.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Jim Robson was also the voice of the Vancouver Mounties of the Pacific Coast League .
He used to broadcast baseball games from a studio in Vancouver that were played in other studios reading the ticker tape of balls and strikes so there was a bit of a delay. I can't find a story on that but they added in sounds like the crowd and the crack of the bat on a hit to make it sound real.

Good write up of him here. http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=542570

I met him in 1994 or 95 at a breakfast roast for Arthur Griffith and was seated next to him as I was a last minute stand in for our CEO. He is pure class. He was aware that I arrived at the breakfast thinking I was giving out an award only to find that it was a progression of roasters including Jim himself and that that was what I was supposed to do but had not been told. I lucked into some good jokes that fit and got a lot of laughs and an invite from Arthur and his family for photos after. But what blew me away was when I came from the podium back to the table at the front of the room was that Jim Robson stood up and shook my hand. Robson is one of the most decent, friendly genuine guys of all time and a guy who set the standard for quality in sports broadcasting.

I thought he retired too early and like so many of that older generation of sports guys he has been missed.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Thanks for this little gem of 1964 Vancouver radio jcalhoun

I remember the guys going both ways very well in the Championship game that year for I was only 11 years old then, and a very young and impressionable lifetime CFL fan at the time.

Although most of the guys were Americans the Canadian game paid a lot more than in the US then, and they were very happy to play our game as I think even in that day it was a much more exciting and challenging game than the “two yards and a cloud of dust” league.

There is a kind of polite and reserved demeanor that both Jim Robson and the BC Lion players had in those days…a kind of quite class held over from after the post WWII era.

Anyway it sure does easy the frustration of the end the truly painful season of 2010 for our older Lion fanatics.

Have a happy ending Leos 2011
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
1greatmysticbushape
Champion

PigSkin_53 wrote:Thanks for this little gem of 1964 Vancouver radio jcalhoun

I remember the guys going both ways very well in the Championship game that year for I was only 11 years old then, and a very young and impressionable lifetime CFL fan at the time.

Although most of the guys were Americans the Canadian game paid a lot more than in the US then, and they were very happy to play our game as I think even in that day it was a much more exciting and challenging game than the “two yards and a cloud of dust” league.

There is a kind of polite and reserved demeanor that both Jim Robson and the BC Lion players had in those days…a kind of quite class held over from after the post WWII era.

Anyway it sure does easy the frustration of the end the truly painful season of 2010 for our older Lion fanatics.

Pigskin - I'm and old dog too - (but the 64 grey cup isn't in my memory - were you there for it live?) but we have seen lean times 20 years at a stretch. All I used to ask is that the team tried its best. And they always satisfied me. Don't you think this years team did that in spades and entertained us like never before. Its always painful to lose but its almost euphoric the emotions they put us through this year - what more can we ask.

Be Happy Now.
nelson95
Legend

The. Best. Ever.
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Anglophone
All Star

Thank you for posting this!

I haven't heard this before, and actually don't know much about our first GC win.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:He used to broadcast baseball games from a studio in Vancouver that were played in other studios reading the ticker tape of balls and strikes so there was a bit of a delay. I can't find a story on that but they added in sounds like the crowd and the crack of the bat on a hit to make it sound real.
They were called re-creations. To the average fan, they sounded just like live broadcasts. A lot of the details had to be made up. That took amazing skill. It's a lost art today.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Toppy Vann wrote:He used to broadcast baseball games from a studio in Vancouver that were played in other studios reading the ticker tape of balls and strikes so there was a bit of a delay. I can't find a story on that but they added in sounds like the crowd and the crack of the bat on a hit to make it sound real.
They were called re-creations. To the average fan, they sounded just like live broadcasts. A lot of the details had to be made up. That took amazing skill. It's a lost art today.
I screwed up my sentence. It meant to say he did this for games played in US cities but did them in Vancouver. He made it like it was real.

I cannot find an article on it but I know they are out there.

In those days those sports guys could and did do multiple sports. It is only a recent thing where they get so specialized. Rick Ball can do more than football though.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I grew up in Hamilton and was at that '64 Grey Cup game with my dad as a 16 year old TiCats fan.

I liked the interview with Bill Munsie where he mentioned knocking down Hamilton's Garney Henely as this was the Lion's key to victory in that game.

Throughout the 1960's free safety Garney Henely was the fastest and most talented defensive player in the CFL and he also saw spot duty at WR. In most games, Henely was so good at supporting the run defense that he would have as many tackles as the middle linebacker. But not in this game as the Lions had a blocker or two on him on every play.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

PigSkin_53 wrote:Thanks for this little gem of 1964 Vancouver radio jcalhoun

You were an eleven year old lifetime fan?
David
Team Captain

What many may not realize is that football was king in Vancouver in those days and the Leos were the talk of the town. We actually had TWO radio stations broadcasting the same game - CKNW and CKWX. There was an actual sound byte on the internet a year or two ago with Jimmy Robson calling the play-by-play. I think it was a Kapp to Fleming touchdown call at a home game.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar