Game Day Thread - Lions @ Stampeders - October 22, 2010

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Game Day.

Just another big test. Against probably the top team in the CFL.

Wally broke the bubble of Hufnagel's mastery over him last game. We won decisively. That can give us hope. If I recall, Yonus Davis was key in that game.

Travis Lulay has shown good progress as a young QB in this league.

Our O Line IMO can run block well. They seem to have done better in pass protection also. However, I would expect the Stampeders to blitz a lot, in attempts to rattle the line and also Lulay.

IMO we might be a bit thin on the D Line once again. This could be troublesome in view of the running game featuring Joffrey Reynolds.

Looking forward to a good game. There is not too much on the line ... jobs, for example.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm excited for a big test. The Stamps have so many weapons on the ground and in the air, and they have Nik Lewis, who didn't play the last time the teams met. I expect Burris to try to attack David Hyland and Stanley Franks. Last time the Lions confused Burris with their pass defence. If they can prevent the big play through the air, the Lions have a good chance.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:IMO we might be a bit thin on the D Line once again. This could be troublesome in view of the running game featuring Joffrey Reynolds.
Agreed…this is a key turning point Joe, where you can be sure that Hufnagle and his DC will have been studying long hours of last week’s game film on our tendencies to defend the run, and our propensity to slate only four D linemen to play tonight , which has been our undoing in a number of late season games to date.

Here's hoping Wally's done his homework. :pray:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
joe kapp22
Legend

4 dlinemen again would be a really bad idea, Calgary won't be fooled by Travis running the ball again, if our Offence cannot hang onto the ball and burn some clock it could be a long evening.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.calgarysun.com/sports/footba ... 81906.html
Usually defensive players do whatever possible to hide their coverages, but the Calgary Stampeders don’t bother with that.

When asked who he will be covering Friday night against the B.C. Lions, Brandon Browner gave a straight answer: “Paris Jackson.”

So what about you, Dwight Anderson: “Manny Arceneaux.”

It’s novel to get a honest answer, but it also shows the level of confidence the Stampeders cornerbacks have for Friday’s meeting with the Lions (8 p.m., TSN) at McMahon Stadium.

“There’s nothing to disguise,” Anderson said.

“This is our fourth game against them. We know what they got. They know what we got. It’s just a matter of playing ball at the end of the day.”

Every week, the Stamps defensive coaches come up with a plan to neutralize the top opposition receivers.

In the past month, it’s been a matter of taking the most physical DB (Browner) and putting him on the biggest slotback (Jamel Richardson and Andy Fantuz against Montreal and Saskatchewan).

The player most fitting in that description on the Lions is Jackson, a former wideout who moved inside last season.

Anderson then takes the speed guy on the outside, so that means he will face Arceneaux in this crucial matchup.

The plan is different every week and, with all five members of the secondary moving around, Anderson and Browner aren’t even corners anymore. They are rovers.

“When we come in to start the week, the matchups are up there on the board,” Anderson said. “You don’t know what it’s going to be. The scheme of the defence changes every week to the team we play.”

Unlike a week ago when Fantuz was seemingly taken by surprise that Browner would face him, Jackson is ready for the challenge.

They’ve had some duels in the past, and the eight-year Canadian slotback knows what to expect.

“He plays in your face for 60 minutes,” Jackson said. “When we talk about playing 60 minutes, Browner is a guy that plays for 60 minutes.

“He does that every game.”

In the first two meetings between these teams, Arceneaux went over the 100-yard mark in both.

Anderson is pumped for this battle.

“In the first game I played against him, I got a feel for what he does,” Anderson said. “I will be in his face.”
Tighthead
Legend

JohnHenry wrote:Perhaps Wally has been reading Lionbackers? The Lions will dress 5 DL with the activation of Jones as a backup. Hunt has been returned to the injured list. Last week we had no backup DB's other than safeties, now Muamba and T. George are listed as backup cornerbacks. With Hyland starting on the corner and LaRose's injury, we only have Arakgi backing-up Crawford at safety. I'd like to see what Arakgi could do back there.
I could see Arakgi as the type to often arrive late, but arrive angry and hard. That has been known to lead to alligator arms.

I still wish we had found or would find a role for Arakgi on D, even a situational role.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Usually defensive players do whatever possible to hide their coverages, but the Calgary Stampeders don’t bother with that.

When asked who he will be covering Friday night against the B.C. Lions, Brandon Browner gave a straight answer: “Paris Jackson.”

So what about you, Dwight Anderson: “Manny Arceneaux.”

It’s novel to get a honest answer, but it also shows the level of confidence the Stampeders cornerbacks have for Friday’s meeting with the Lions (8 p.m., TSN) at McMahon Stadium.

“There’s nothing to disguise,” Anderson said.
It's an interesting concept. I don't know another team that plays man defence the way Calgary does. It's also a high-risk, high-reward defence that can be vulnerable to big plays.

Last week vs. Saskatchewan, Brandon Browner held Andy Fantuz without a catch. In their previous meeting, Fantuz had 10 catches for 255 yards.

The Calgary secondary has given up the most big passing plays in the league this year (tied with Montreal at 33). The Lions have given up the fewest at 19.

With his speed, Arceneaux thrives on a steady dose of man defence. Here are stats for B.C.'s receivers in the three games against Calgary this year:

Arceneaux: 14 catches for 266 yards
Simon: 13 catches for 173 yards
Jackson: 10 catches for 149 yards
Wilson: 3 catches for 22 yards
Black: 0 catches (one game only)

Calgary has also given up the most big kick returns in the league. That was a big factor in the Lions' victory in their last trip to McMahon. The key to beating Calgary is simply to make more big plays than they do on offence and special teams. It's tough to march the ball down the field with success on the Stamps but speed can kill them. For Arceneaux and Davis, it's another great opportunity.
joe kapp22
Legend

JohnHenry wrote:Perhaps Wally has been reading Lionbackers? The Lions will dress 5 DL with the activation of Jones as a backup. Hunt has been returned to the injured list. Last week we had no backup DB's other than safeties, now Muamba and T. George are listed as backup cornerbacks. With Hyland starting on the corner and LaRose's injury, we only have Arakgi backing-up Crawford at safety. I'd like to see what Arakgi could do back there.

Hopefully not, if Wally B read Lionbackers he would have fired the whole staff save for Stubler, then fired himself.. :roar:

Defence has been wearing down in the 4th qtr, that is a part of the reason why we have lost back to back OT games, the fellas looked exhausted.

And can we stop Nik Lewis? Davis Sanchez even with the dummy penalties was still having a great season, without him..
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

ed_lunsford wrote:
Defence has been wearing down in the 4th qtr, that is a part of the reason why we have lost back to back OT games, the fellas looked exhausted.
Very observant ed…the collapses have been commented on in fourth quarter statistics, but no one has accounted for the reasons behind why until now IIRC.

Maybe the offense can pull their fair share of the load for a change, and pull this one out tonight for us? :cr:
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

It's getting aweful quite in here with only ten minutes left to game time...

Feel like I'm talking to myself again

I hope you guys are not getting a case of the nerves, and turning into superstitious canabals on me, yeah? :shock:
Last edited by PigSkin_53 on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Holy cow, Hamilton is laying an old fashioned ass kicking on the Als
zark
Champion

" we're the Lions of this town, watch us how we take you down, we'll chew you up and spit you up, 'cuz that's what footballs all about!!!!
C'mon and Roar you Lions Roar!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :beer: :beer: :beer:
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
the-real-hugo
Rookie

Well, Hamilton clearly wants that last playoff spot. It'll be interesting to see what the Lions bring tonight!
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Well this is it...try and keep your heads Lions, coaches, fans!