Lulay to start against Bombers

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

As per Lowell Ullrich, tweeting from practice:
At #bclions practice: your new starting qb, according to the head coach: travis lulay, at least for this wk anyway.
Buono: short leash on printers would not work.
Rammer
Team Captain

I think that is a mistake, Lulay is going to have very little time with the rush the Bombers front 7 have been applying lately. I wonder where JJ stands in all of this from Wally's perspective.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Better hope yonus rips some big returns. Our offense may not reach 200 total yards with lulay running things. Jarious should have gotten the start
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Wally is sending a message to his quarterbacks to protect the ball. At least three games have been lost this year as a result of crucial late turnovers. He's also sending a message to the defence and special teams that he believes they're good enough to win games if the offence just manages the game.

Lulay is a better scrambler than Printers, and more likely to head upfield when the protection breaks down. He has 140 rushing yards in limited action, to Printers' 63. He has a better completion percentage but has thrown fewer TDs and more interceptions than Printers.
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Hmmm. I see the Bombers racking up about 6 sacks and holding the LIons to 150 yards passing with Lulay playing.
truth-hurts
Rookie

Wise decision, Wally, for pulling Printers and giving Lulay a chance to shine. I personally would prefer Jackson to be called upon but any of the 2 QBs would be the better choice at this point in time. I'm not quite sure why Jackson isn't even considered to start next weeks game. I've always been a big fan of his, especially after his great 2007 season.(He holds the record for the most games WON in a single season and won the CFL QB's Challenge in Hamilton.) Since then Jackson has been under appreciated and has been left for dead after Printer's arrival. Last year's season with the "must-play-Pierce-because we paid him a huge contract" mentality didn't help him get much playing time either. Let's not forget his shoulder injury. Tough break. But now he's healthy (Yes, I know this for a fact.) and he is left again in the shadows. The Riders game he started wasn't his fault BC lost. The team was still trying to gel (We still are!) We need a QB that knows how to be a leader and WIN no matter how tough the situation. I believe Jackson can be that QB. If he was given the same amount of chances that Pierce and Printers have been given after their terrible games then Jackson would have been our solid QB a long time ago.....
Last edited by truth-hurts on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rammer
Team Captain

truth-hurts wrote:Wise decision, Wally, fo pulling Printers and giving Lulay a chance to shine. I personally would prefer Jackson to be called upon but any of the 2 QBs would be the better choice at this point in time. I'm not quite sure why Jackson isn't even considered to start next weeks game. I've always been a big fan of his, especially after his great 2007 season.(He holds the record for the most games WON in a single season and won the CFL QB's Challenge in Hamilton.) Since then Jackson has been under appreciated and has been left for dead after Printer's arrival and last years season with the "must-play-Pierce-because we paid him a huge contract" mentality. Let's not forget his shoulder injury. Tough break. But now he's healthy (Yes, I know this for a fact.) and he is left again in the shadows. The Riders game he started wasn't his fault BC lost. The team was still trying to gel (We still are!) We need a QB that knows how to be a leader and WIN no matter how tough the situation. I believe Jackson can be that QB. If he was given the same amount of chances that Pierce and Printers have been given after their terrible games then Jackson would have been our solid QB a long time ago.....
Time to bring out the Willie Beaman tapes for Casey, he needs to just go out and play and not think so much.
Gary
Starter

truth-hurts wrote:Wise decision, Wally, for pulling Printers and giving Lulay a chance to shine. I personally would prefer Jackson to be called upon but any of the 2 QBs would be the better choice at this point in time. I'm not quite sure why Jackson isn't even considered to start next weeks game. I've always been a big fan of his, especially after his great 2007 season.(He holds the record for the most games WON in a single season and won the CFL QB's Challenge in Hamilton.) Since then Jackson has been under appreciated and has been left for dead after Printer's arrival. Last year's season with the "must-play-Pierce-because we paid him a huge contract" mentality didn't help him get much playing time either. Let's not forget his shoulder injury. Tough break. But now he's healthy (Yes, I know this for a fact.) and he is left again in the shadows. The Riders game he started wasn't his fault BC lost. The team was still trying to gel (We still are!) We need a QB that knows how to be a leader and WIN no matter how tough the situation. I believe Jackson can be that QB. If he was given the same amount of chances that Pierce and Printers have been given after their terrible games then Jackson would have been our solid QB a long time ago.....
Jarious has had plenty of chances to start. Of the QB's who have started games for the Lions in the past five years, he has been the most wildly inconsistent. He played very poorly in the one game he started this year. And yet, the truth is, he may well be the best choice to start this week. His stats from last week's game look better than Lulay or Printers (yes, I know he didn't play).
It probably doesn't matter which QB plays. Our offense has big problems with pass protection, and whichever QB is in is going to feel a lot of heat.
joe kapp22
Legend

Well, I'd favor JJ, but if it is Lulay, I just hope we see Robertson/Messam/Davis running behind Lumbala's lead block.

Wally is really rolling the dice hear, if we sweep the Blue Bombers that would go along way to not only making the playoffs, but maybe moving up a bit in the pecking order.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Tighthead
Legend

This is consistent with Wally's risk averse style. He generally plays not to lose, as opposed to playing to win. Lulay looked pretty marginal, but didn't turn the ball over.

That is more observation than criticism.
Rammer
Team Captain

Tighthead wrote:This is consistent with Wally's risk averse style. He generally plays not to lose, as opposed to playing to win. Lulay looked pretty marginal, but didn't turn the ball over.

That is exactly my criticism of the seasons on Wally when the Lions should have won at least two more GC's.
Tighthead
Legend

JohnHenry wrote:Wally did say late last season that he would start Jarious over anybody, when healthy. But Jarious has played only one game since. Lulay has shown flashes of brilliance and it only makes sense at this point to give Travis the start.
I think our definitions of flashes and brilliance are very different.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
Tighthead wrote:This is consistent with Wally's risk averse style. He generally plays not to lose, as opposed to playing to win. Lulay looked pretty marginal, but didn't turn the ball over.

That is exactly my criticism of the seasons on Wally when the Lions should have won at least two more GC's.
:whs: but, IIRC, there was a short video piece on TSN during the Calgary game last weekend where Wally said he doesn't do this. Maybe thats how he sees it but it sure seems like it, IMO.
truth-hurts
Rookie

It's a official...Lulay is starting next week AND Printers is the backup. What the F***! I can't believe Wally didn't consider JJ for the backup!!! After Printers' performance after the last 2 games AND he still gets the nod to be the backup?! He shouldn't even be allowed to be the water boy!!! Are you serious? JJ has it bad this year. Overshadowed by all the Printers hoopla, shafted to 3rd stringer after his FIRST game back after his shoulder surgery against the Riders where Wally tried to put the loss on him instead of putting it on the WHOLE team's disfunction on the field, and now again he's been pushed aside by "Printers the Great". What the heck is Wally thinking? JJ, if I were you, I would go to a team that would appreciate your leadership, your professionalism, your talent, your commitment to winning, and your positive energy you bring to the game, to your fans and to your teammates. Since your break out season in 2007 you have been overlooked time and time again. If you were treated like Printers (even Pierce for that matter), given chance after chance after chance, you wouldn't have been shanked to 3rd stringer after your game against Saskatchewan. You would have started the next game so that you had the opportunity to redeem yourself. But that wasn't the case. QBs have their share of bad games. But JJ very rarely got the chance to play through them. He was always pulled shortly after a terrible play/game and was never given the "consistency" like Pierce and Printers. JJ should at least be the backup for next weeks game. That would be the fair thing to do. Printers had his opportunity to shine, let someone else get the chance for a change...even if it's just the backup role!