Danny Maciocia an OC in BC?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

tigerrr22
Starter

Anyone think that Danny Maciocia would be a good fit in BC as the next Offensive Co-ordinator for the Lions. He's unemployed and the Lions need to shake things up on offence. Also Maciocia is well connected to the offensively talented and experienced players in Edmonton who could be looking for a new start in football in 2011. (The Eskimos appear poised to be a similar disaster in 2010.) Ricky Ray or Jason Maas in BC in 2011? A competitve training camp that sees Ray or Maas, Lulay, Printers, Jackson and any other QB recruits all competing for three jobs under Maciocia's lead on offence. Be good to hear some views about Danny Maciocia and whether or not he would be a good OC fit in BC as soon as this season.

Dominic in Vancouver :beauty:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

No, Dominic.

Personally, I do not think Danny Maciocia would be a good OC for the Lions. Not now. Not ever.

Sorry.

He would be as unloved by the fans here, as he was by the fans in Edmonton.

To use that old phrase, we would be going from the frying pan into the fire.

We will have to disagree on this. And there are no persuasive things on his behalf that you could say to bring about my agreement on it.

And I won't attempt to justify my position on it, although there are many reasons, which I will not go into.

You asked. And I have answered. We can agree on many things, but not this.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:No, Dominic.

Personally, I do not think Danny Maciocia would be a good OC for the Lions. Not now. Not ever.

Sorry.

We will have to disagree on this. And there are no persuasive things on his behalf that you could say to bring about my agreement on it.

And I won't attempt to justify my position on it, although there are many reasons, which I will not go into.

Perhaps we could pry away Nussmeier from UW?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

There is no way that Ricky Ray is going to wind up in BC
2AdEPT
prospect

He was a poor coach and a worse GM. HE has been the laughing stock of the CFL and thankfully helped kill the Edmonton Eskimos winning tradition. Many fans in Edmonton canceled their season tickets until he left. I like your optimism, but Wally and Shivers have never been desperate for finding players. Chapdeliane can be replaced with someone Wally can work with but if you take Macocia, Wally would have to do three jobs then....

No thanks.
tigerrr22
Starter

Right on, guys. Be good to hear some more views to get a complete consensus. Looks like it could be a 100% negative landslide for Maciocia! (A Grey Cup winning coach.)

Dominic In Vancouver :beauty:
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

tigerrr22 wrote:Right on, guys. Be good to hear some more views to get a complete consensus. Looks like it could be a 100% negative landslide for Maciocia! (A Grey Cup winning coach.)

Dominic In Vancouver :beauty:
Do you honestly think that DM would go from GM pay to OC pay? I dont think so. If he worked he would have to settle up with the Eskimos and likely get not much to get out the contract they have to pay him for not working.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
The_Pauser
Legend

Sorry.

Would you care to share your reasons why? Because I'm absolutely baffled by this.

Sure DM wasn't that popular in Edmonton during his final years there, both as head coach/OC and GM. But at the same time he did win 2 Grey Cup's there (one as the OC and the other as the Head Coach). Plus looking at it from this perspective: he's a fresh face here, shakes things up and perhaps brings a new philosophy....could he really be any worse than the crap we're dealing with now under Chapdelaine?
Roar you Lions roar!
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

I think we're done with Edmonton's castoffs-unless they want to cast off Arkee Whitlock ;)
Real women wear orange!!
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:

Sorry.

Would you care to share your reasons why? Because I'm absolutely baffled by this.

Sure DM wasn't that popular in Edmonton during his final years there, both as head coach/OC and GM. But at the same time he did win 2 Grey Cup's there (one as the OC and the other as the Head Coach). Plus looking at it from this perspective: he's a fresh face here, shakes things up and perhaps brings a new philosophy....could he really be any worse than the crap we're dealing with now under Chapdelaine?
Is it necessary to debate the merits of Danny Maciocia? Not for me. He's been trashed enough in Edmonton.

You like him as OC. Fine. I don't. Leave it at that for now.

If Wally was about to make such a move, then I would voice some opinions. If Wally removes Jacques as OC, then it would be a matter to discuss and debate: the qualifications of Danny Maciocia as a potential OC.

You could play Devil's Advocate yourself: draw up a list of reasons why Danny Maciocia should not be OC for the Lions. And then challenge each item.

I'm not interested at this time. He's been through a hard time.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

DM won Grey Cups with the Eskimoes the same way Brian Burke won a Stanley Cup in Anaheim (Pardon the NHL example, I know some abhor this)....he inherited much of his good fortune.

He's not coming here....ever. He'll be in Ottawa if Tillman doesn't take it.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Rammer
Team Captain

Maciocia isn't an upgrade over JC, and the Lions can ill afford that now.
Entertainment value = an all time low
tigerrr22
Starter

Very interesting thread guys. I agree that DM will probably end up in Ottawa. (Should call them the Rough Riders too. Retro "R" logo and classic uniforms too.) But I don't see many other people out there that are high profile enough for the OC position should it become available this season. We'll probably see all of the issues unravelled in BC during the next off season. Maybe Braley will sell the team to Aquilini or other interested parties this winter or spring too. May be what has to happen first before any changes do get made re: 2010 agonies.

Good points re: winning the Grey Cup like Burke won the Stanley Cup. DM did inherit a gold mine of a team at that time in Edmonton. I think he'd be a better play caller, on offence, than what we see today with the Lions too. Especially with a QB he has worked with in the past. Any other views about Maciocia as BC OC are most welcome too! Right on guys!

Dominic In Vancouver :wink:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Nope, no merit to have a failed GM and if you look at how the Esks have done since his tenure at coach and GM began, it has been all one direction - Down! It would be one thing if he was coming from a long tradition of leading teams to success, but he hasn't exactly done that has he. No, I would keep JC if that is the choice until the end of the year and then go after DDickenson or one of the the other coaches that might be available at the end of the season. There has to be a coach out there somewhere looking to become an OC, maybe a step up from Receivers coach or something like that.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

tigerrr22 wrote: I agree that DM will probably end up in Ottawa.
Gee, thanks, I think. :wink:

I don't think he will wind up in Ottawa. That job is Dan Rambo's to take or pass on.