Outdoor Attendance a Concern?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

lullrich wrote:B.C.’s game against Montreal Friday was the worst home draw for the Lions since Aug. 6, 2004, and new club president Dennis Skulsky recently said the team barely reached a reduced target of 17,000 season tickets.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/footb ... story.html

A purrfect night, a top team, and a Empire Stadium that isn't full. Lions have to be concerned, although perhaps a few wins would go a long way to putting bodies into those empty seats.
Entertainment value = an all time low
almo89
Legend

I think there's a few reasons. Number is obviously because we aren't winning and both losses at Empire haven't been exciting games either. The other is that people know there's only 27k tickets. The usual walk up probably thinks that there aren't many tickets available and rather watch it on TV since a lot of ppl have HD now and blackout was lifted for both games. Back at BC Place, there were always tickets available. The casual fan would walk up and know they won't have to worry about not getting a ticket. Remember when they closed the upper bowl for one season at BC Place? There were similar issues. As long as they win, these issues will slowly disappear. I'm all for closing the upper bowl when the new roof is installed at BC place
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Some reasons:
• Too many stinkers at home dating back to last season.
• For the most part, BC Place is convenient to get to (Skytrain/Canada Line). Empire is not, never mind the high parking costs.
• No discounted tickets. Last year 7-Eleven seats were 2 for $39.95. 2-for-1 student vouchers also were issued to LM elementary students for summer games in 3 price categories. Now those same end zone seats cost $70 and actually closer to $80 for a pair.

LU makes a valid point, however, as you couldn't have asked for much more last Friday, given the opponent and the weather. Hell, the Lions were 1-1 too. But they better start delivering a more entertaining product for the casual fan to make the effort to go to Empire.

Unless the team completely falls off the rails, I believe they will lift the blackout for every home game as they must maximize their exposure before heading back to BC Place. Besides with TSN HD not being impacted, I'm not sure how effective the blackout really is anymore.

Also I can't say enough how important it is to be playing well at this time of the year when the media spotlight will not be any brighter.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Boring football and too many losses. Winning and exciting football will bring the fans back.
nelson95
Legend

Not the Canucks
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
QB Club 63
All Star

This sounds like a chimpy thread. :wink:
Rammer
Team Captain

QB Club 63 wrote:This sounds like a chimpy thread. :wink:
His threads wore thin and exposed him for his one dimensional agenda, where hopefully I have a little more to offer. :ref:
Entertainment value = an all time low
tigerrr22
Starter

Offense sells tickets and defence wins championships. Remember the difference before and after Doug Flutie got here? They nearly packed the dome for Rocket Ismail and the Argos in week four of the regular season (indoors) because the Lions offence was so explosive. Shootouts every week. There is way too much offensive talent on this team for so many two and outs, interceptions & fumbles. I still say every fan should go to Empire Field at least once before it's too late to relive the Old Empire days. September 11th against Toronto is a 1pm kickoff on a Saturday. Sunny weather is likely too. The team will be in 1976 retro uniforms! But this team's offence has to be a "marketing strategy" to sell tickets back at BC Place in 2011 as much as an immediate solution to save this 2010 season. The defence has given the offence every opportunity to win this year! You've got to consider a change at the Offensive Co-ordinator's position right now. NFL cuts can follow if the team is still stuck struggling to score TD's on offense later.

Dominic In Vancouver :beauty:
nelson95
Legend

Esks had 32K+ for an 0-4 team with dubious weather

They have an NHL team (sometimes)

They place in a stdium with a track

We should accept the fact that the Lions will never draw crowds > 35 unless they sign the Sedins
Give the ball to LeeRoy!
Centrum22
Starter

The Eskimos consistently get the highest attendance on average.

By the way, a sold-out Commonwealth Stadium with about 65,000 should make for an exciting Grey Cup atmosphere this year.

Would'nt it be hilarious if, in the end, the Lions and Eskimos make it to the Grey Cup this year (one team via the cross-over)?
cromartie
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:Attendance dropped 16% last season at BC Place from the previous season. I think many fans were upset last year about losing players like C. Wake and S. Logan and voiced their displeasure by staying away. This season at Empire, nearly the entire sideline seating has been pre-sold to season ticket and luxury box holders. Anyone wanting 2 or 3 tickets together must choose the corners or endzone, so some fans may choose to stay home instead.
Did they sell all of the hospitality suites?
Centrum22
Starter

JohnHenry wrote:
It could be an eastern team crossing over this year...
If Toronto beats Edmonton next week, that scenario starts to look more likely.