canadian running game anyone...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

flychucker
prospect

looks like we may have a shot at an all Canadian running game. Lee, Harris, Greene and now Jerome Messam. I know we haven't even hit training camp yet but we seem to be aquiring alot of non import talent and would it not open up for another import elsewhere? Any thoughts?
OV - 54:40
Champion

Ummm, no - very improbable with Wally IMO - ZERO evidence of him employing Canadian RBs as feature or even change of pace backs in all his time in the CFL.
flychucker
prospect

yes I do agree with you on the low prob. of Mr Buono changing his way of thinking except this year he has already broke tradition by grabbing more free agent signings this last off season then in the previous 2 or three years combined. Lee may turn out to be comparable to an import running back (panthers training camp and very athletic) and Jerome Messam played US ball...essentially an import running back that can run like a deer and put defenders into the hospital (240lbs) and 4.5 speed but is a non-import. Wally does now have depth in non import talent and maybe can use the import to plug another hole such as linbacker or especially OLine...(got to keep Casey on his feet and not on the ground looking for chicklets or its going to be a long season)
In Ur Face
prospect

Im sorry guys who are interested in seeing more of a nonimport RB. After seeing Dean's reel he looks like the next
Logan but bigger built with speed and toughness. He has catching ability in the back field, Throwing the ball to recievers
and can do some nice blocking. This kid is full of talent, strength, agility and elusiveness when he's running the ball.
If he can produce the same at camp. Watch out he'll take the number 1 spot for RB. What I've seen so far from this kid.
He's one amazing player. Check for yourself.

MICKEY DEAN #23
5'10 220lb [/b][/size]

David
Team Captain

So we finally signed Mickey Dean The Touchdown Machine. :beauty:

This was rumoured months ago. After watching his moves on the highlight film, I'm not sure if he's actually a running back or escape artist and illusionist. Has anyone seen him chained up in a dunk tank before?

Wow. :thup:

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rick James
Legend

Wally did use Mark Nohra at one point before he blew out his knee. I don't think there is any prejudice on Wally's part. I think the lack of Non-Import talent was the major reason behind him not using Canadians at RB. You need at least two good quality Non-Import RB's to make a go of it.
joe kapp22
Legend

Anyone think Messem will be the new Fullback?

And keep in mind, with Mallet and Smart and Grice Mullen gone there is a large opportunity to see some playing time.
Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things. As if it were a straight road mapped out on the ground ... These things cannot be explained in detail. From one thing, know ten thousand things. When you attain the Way of strategy there will not be one thing you cannot see. You must study hard.
Champion

Rick James wrote:Wally did use Mark Nohra at one point before he blew out his knee. I don't think there is any prejudice on Wally's part. I think the lack of Non-Import talent was the major reason behind him not using Canadians at RB. You need at least two good quality Non-Import RB's to make a go of it.
??? - when did Wally have Mark Nohra and play him at tailback plenty? - i could be wrong but i thought Nohra played for the Esks (some pretty decent production as a part-time starting tailback, including some huge games) and then later for the exapanison Gades (played little as an actual tailback) - did he play some for BC after Ottawa?. And if Jamall Lee , for example, won out as the best tailback in the Lions' TC - why do they just HAVE to need another NI tailback as the back-up? - couldn't that be Robertson or Davis or TD Dean?

And I suppose Messam certainly has the size for a pro fullback, but wether he's got the blocking skills is another matter - doesn't come automatically for guys whose main experience is at tailback. Lee has pretty decent pro size at RB too - Obie said last year in talking about Lee - pre-draft - that NI backs should get looked at as fullbacks in the CFL.
Champion

JohnHenry wrote:Obie said last week he'd only sign Lumsden as a FB, but wasn't interested because they already have their FB's for camp.

Mark Nohra came back to BC after Ottawa for a season, but got injured. He only had half a dozen carries with little production in his second go-around with BC.

I frankly don't believe Wally has much confidence in Lee or Harris. Harris had zero touches in preseason last year and was switched to safety at practice. Lee missed training camp and had 3 touches last year including 1 catch and 1 rush in the Eastern Final, both resulting in a loss of yardage. It's really doubtful we could rely on them as starters without more seasoning, Messam likely too. Only with Lumsden could we legitimately go with an All-Canadian backfield as we know he can play. But there is little upside for using Canadians, as well-seasoned RB's are so plentiful from the NCAA. And one of Dean or Davis will likely make the roster as a returner anyways.

Having been burned by two consecutive rookie RB's leaving after one season, the Lions might want to limit Mickey Dean's touches and platoon him with other backs, if only to keep his stats down and discourage the NFL bloodhounds who seem to keeping a keen eye on the Lions roster.
Lee as a slotback project then? - why trade-up for and burn a 1st round/3rd overall pick on a player who you don't see as a legit guy to compete at his position? Lee - CIS rushing leader, sets CFL E-Camp 40 record, gets signifigant reps in NFL exhibition games - requires more "seasoning" than the likes of Dean or Davis who've never played a down in Canadian football before ??? "Upside"? :hypno:
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnHenry wrote:Lee missed training camp and had 3 touches last year including 1 catch and 1 rush in the Eastern Final, both resulting in a loss of yardage. It's really doubtful we could rely on them as starters without more seasoning, Messam likely too.
I wouldn't put much stock in Lee's lack of production in 2009 as an indicator of his future. He didn't sign until mid to late September. By that time some guy by name of Mallett was firmly in place as BC's TB in what is always a single back offence when it comes to RB touchs. They also had a vet in AJ Harris on the depth chart. Coming down the stretch with the exception of the blowout embarrasment at the hands of Edmonton every Lion game was crucial in their battle for playoff positioning. Prior to the Eskimo game BC's 5 previous games were all decided by 3 points or less. It's tough for any new player to come into a stable situation late in the season and get reps unless either injuries or lack of productivity opens the door.

This year Lee comes in at the start of camp with everybody else and has part of a season's familiarity with the offence under his belt. If there is one thing Buono has shown in the past 4 years it's that he is not afraid to make changes at TB if somebody shows they can be more productive than the incumbent. Despite the signing of Jamal Robertson I believe the competition for starting TB is open to any player who can seize the opportunity. As OV said BC wouldn't have traded up to get him if they didn't think he had a future as a running back. Teams don't trade up into the blue chip spots to make the player a project at another position. Certainly Carolina wouldn't have kept him around until the final cuts if he wasn't showing them something in that regard too.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Has anyone noticed that one of the two Lions radio commercials currently airing on the TEAM stations features a simulated play-by-play call by Rick Ball in which Printers hands off to Lee on third and goal from the Montreal two yard line? If the marketing department talked to the coaching staff before producing that commercial, it's a good sign for the Canadian running game.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

LU's story on Messam's signing.

Could Green's job actually be in jeopardy? I think we have gone into the last 2 or 3 camps hearing this.
Gill pegs Messam to be a star, while Geroy was on the TEAM yesterday predicting Harris will be the biggest surprise of camp. Meanwhile we get to see what Lee can do with a full training camp underneath his belt, while Robertson and Dean are the import options.

This is where I wouldn't mind seeing a 3rd pre-season game to give all these guys a decent look but it's not going to happen in two games with plenty of 5-receiver sets.

'Bad choices' behind Messam?; Latest signing at running back presents risks, but the raw talent is undeniable

Lowell Ullrich
The Province
It seemed at times, Jerome Messam suggested, as if all he's done in life is run, which is not a bad thing if you are a running back but not good if you are trying to outrun your past.

That stopped, the 25-year-old from Brampton, Ont., said emphatically, when he signed a minimum two-year CFL contract with the B.C. Lions on Friday.
A rookie non-import signing won't knock hockey off the front page but Messam has been a topic of discussion among CFL teams for some time, drawing attention for reasons other than comparisons made to Sean Millington because of his 6-foot-2, 247-pound frame.
Though fielding scholarship offers from Arizona State and interest from the likes of Southern California and Florida, Messam tried enrolling at Rutgers but was ruled academically ineligible. In terms of school choices, it's been downhill ever since.

A low point came as a junior when he declared himself eligible for the 2008 NFL draft while at Graceland University, which is not a school devoted to the teachings of Elvis Presley but a liberal arts NAIA institution located in Lamoni, Iowa.
Messam predicted he would be a third-round pick in the draft but only the New York Giants were takers, giving him a mini-camp tryout that ended with a hip injury.
That came after Messam had been kicked out at the North Dakota College of Science and arrested for trespassing on campus.
Despite big rushing totals against inferior foes and bigger speed testing results, teams were running away from Messam.
And the Lions, who only two years ago had to part ways with Josh Boden, felt no differently until Canadian scouting director Mike Benevides met with him last weekend prior to attending a prospects game in London, Ont.
"We got to speak about things in my past I'm not too proud of. Most of the things that happened to me were because I was young, misguided and stupid, basically making bad choices," said Messam, who had returned to Graceland.
"But football is my passion and it's what I want to do for the next 10 years of my life."
In relative terms, that's roughly the same length of time since the Lions put him on their negotiation list, the 35-man roster which establishes signing protocol for CFL free agents.
"I'm glad to finally get him off that list," said personnel assistant Neil McEvoy, who brokered one end of the deal for the Lions.
Darren Gill, the agent representing Messam, was more emphatic. "Messam is going to be a star, mark my words," he wrote in an email.
At the very least -- after a winter where their backfield prospects looked positively bleak following the NFL departures of Martell Mallett and Rolly Lumbala, plus the release of Ian Smart -- non-import special teams depth has been improved.
"The talent [Messam] has is freakish," Benevides said.
Though import Jamal Robertson would figure to get the bulk of the running work initially, Messam will split time with Jamall Lee and Andrew Harris, and conceivably could make a full-time car salesman out of veteran Lyle Green, who took a part-time job with a White Rock car dealership in January.
Mickey Dean, who was Mallett's backup at Arkansas-Pine Bluff, also signed last week following a tryout with the New York Jets. The Lions this week will announce the signings of seven of their nine picks from the recent Canadian college draft, giving them 34 non-imports, as well as a quarterback to replace released third-stringer Zac Champion. B.C.'s first full camp training session goes June 6 in Kamloops.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Don't know what Wally is doing collecting all these NI running backs. Not sure if Wally does either. In other words, based on his decisions throughout his career, I have doubts he will feature an NI running back.

And yet, Jamall Lee might be the short yardage back. Who knows? And a lot of us would like to see Andrew Harris carry the ball against CFL defences. And Jerome Messam is a rare talent. If these guys are not going to get to run the ball with the Lions, then Wally is just wasting time, getting false hopes up, and misleading fans who would like to see an NI running back with the Lions.

Meantime Mickey Dean looks like an ideal CFL running back. Different style than Martell Mallett, but likely to be just as effective. He has a bow-legged, crab-like running style but looks very, very elusive and strong.

Re: Jerome Messam. I hope the Lions have made a practical judgment on his attitude, and not just been swayed by that athletic talent. Otherwise the disappointment comes later, when the team has to give up on the player. How often do people really change? So I hope their vote of confidence in him is justified.