Empire Field transit and parking information

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions, TransLink and the PNE have come out with some transit and parking options for 2010 games. Transit users can purchase a 10-game pass valid for transit all day on game days for $58.78 per person ($5.88 per game). The recommended SkyTrain/bus connection is the No. 28 bus to and from the Gilmore Station on the Millennium Line.

Parking is less of a bargain. There are just 1,300 available stalls on the PNE grounds at a cost of $30 per game or $270 for nine games (excluding the Aug. 27 game during the PNE) and the spots are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
The BC Lions are excited to announce three new transportation options to help get you to the games this season at Empire Field.

PUBLIC TRANSIT
Through a partnership with TransLink, we are pleased to offer Lions Season Ticket Holders a 10-game transit pass for savings of more than $30.00 during the season.

Use your pass for the entire game day, regardless of the route you take or when you begin your trip. The deadline to order your season transit pass is Friday, May 14th.

PARKING
This season, the PNE is offering Lions Season Ticket Holders the opportunity to reserve season parking at one of three convenient parking lots located close to Empire Field. Spots are limited and are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

RIDESHARE
The BC Lions have teamed up with PickupPal, a rideshare program, to help fans connect with each other by carpooling to and from BC Lions home games.

Use this service to share the costs of driving, reduce traffic congestion, and help the environment.
Full details
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I think I will purchase a season parking pass for Lot 8 then buy a transit pass to get to the stadium from there. Man, that will be quite a hike for $25. :shock:
kacbru
prospect

I sure hope they plan on including shuttles from the skytrain. Otherwise the one bus that comes every 15 min might be a bit congested. Any rental car places near Renfrew Stn? Maybe the lions could negotiate a deal there too.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

This is the only part (getting to/from the stadium) I'm not looking forward to in terms of Empire Field. I walk to games at the Dome. I guess this will provide the small minority of local residents a few more days of letting people park on their front lawns!
zark
Champion

Is this the end of tailgating?
"'Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Groucho Marx
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Well, according to Google Maps, we're in for a helluva trip on the way home. I wanted to see roughly how far it was from Empire Field to Tsawwassen Ferry terminal, and here's what it gave me:

Directions Please!

Ohhhhhhkay.....

Obvious glaring error notwithstanding, there IS no Horseshoe Bay-Swartz Bay ferry! So add about an hour and a bit driving from Nanaimo to Swartz bay to that estimate!

:surrender: :shock:

Now THIS is more like it (I switched directions):

The Right Way
Real women wear orange!!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Given what traffic can be like getting from Tsawassen into Vancouver proper travelling from Victoria to Empire via Horseshoe Bay may not be that far fetched depending on what part of Victoria a person lives and what time of day a person would be trying to get through Vancouver.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Given what traffic can be like getting from Tsawassen into Vancouver proper travelling from Victoria to Empire via Horseshoe Bay may not be that far fetched depending on what part of Victoria a person lives and what time of day a person would be trying to get through Vancouver.
That wasn't the farfetched thing! All I was looking to do was go to Tsawwassen from Empire. It had me take the Horseshoe Bay ferry, to Nanaimo, drive to Swartz Bay, get back on the ferry, and over to Tsawwassen. :rotf:
Real women wear orange!!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Has anyone committed to a $270 parking pass yet? I'm planning to do so, but $30 per game is more than the price of my seat.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:Has anyone committed to a $270 parking pass yet? I'm planning to do so, but $30 per game is more than the price of my seat.
Parking for the Giants games and Hastings Park is $8 so what gives?
Must be part of the lease deal Pavco has cut with the PNE to use the land but talk about price gouging. There will be some happy home owners around the stadium that will be getting a lot more money for their carport or backyard space than what they are use to seeing.
Spud387
Champion

SammyGreene wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Has anyone committed to a $270 parking pass yet? I'm planning to do so, but $30 per game is more than the price of my seat.
Must be part of the lease deal Pavco has cut with the PNE to use the land but talk about price gouging. There will be some happy home owners around the stadium that will be getting a lot more money for their carport or backyard space than what they are use to seeing.
Its to encourage ppl to use transit and b/c Giants games attract 7-10k not 22+k. Think of downtown and how impark jacks the price of many parking lots on Canuck game days.

I bought a pass, but that's b/c I go with a group of 5 ppl every game and we carpool.
Last edited by Spud387 on Wed May 12, 2010 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Simple supply and demand. I believe there are 1300 parking spots at the PNE. Giant attendance for most regular season games fluctuates between 6000 and 9000; 1 parking spot per 5 to 6 fans. I'm guessing Hastings Park attendance is considerably less? Aside from Giant playoff games they likely don't fill the lots to capacity. Compare that to football with 1300 parking spots for 27000 football fans; 1 spot per 21 fans. Parking will be at a premium.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Spud387
Champion

JohnHenry wrote:
Has anyone committed to a $270 parking pass yet? I'm planning to do so, but $30 per game is more than the price of my seat.
The Lions and fans should complain loudly about this price gouging. It is a public park in a residential area. I could see paying $15 or $20 to park downtown at a major event, but $30 to park in that location is outrageous. If it was a private company doing the gouging, that's one thing, but our tax money built the stadium and the park and for the city to engage in this usury is unacceptable. Of course, fans have the option of parking elsewhere, like on somebodies lawn for $10 (I hope) but the city should be taken to task over this. :thdn:
Some ppl complain too much over this. If they made parking cheap as #$^% then everyone would drive to the game, turning the area into a clusterf%@k. If you are going to drive, pay the premium. If they didn't discourage driving by jacking parking then you'd all be whining over how the Lions were so under prepared for handling the traffic and should have done a better job....