Mallett signs with Philly Eagles

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MacNews
Team Captain

:dizzy:

Why don't we just adopt an NFL team and cheer for them...they have more CFL players then we have now...
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

I guess Jamal Lee gets a good look at RB next year.
korey&dante4ever
Champion

*sigh*... like what's going on here...
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
ik17
Rookie

Nothing wrong with having a starting Canadian running back though, Jamall Lee can do the job. Helps our ratio.
Big Time
Champion

Add this to yet another tremendous blunder by Wally to allow Mallett to try out in the first place. Wally gambled and lost big time here. I know he feels the RB position is the easiest hole to fill, and has a good track record in this regard, but you can only play with fire so much on this before you get burned. You can't hope to find a Smith/Logan/Mallett every year. We just lost another top offensive player for no reason, and he was under contract on top of that. What's the point in signing any players to contracts, or even using your first round draft picks, if all you're going to do is let them walk away for nothing. Our top players are leaving all over the place and we're left to hope is that they become training camp fodder and early cuts from the NFL halfway through the CFL season. It's disgusting.
squishy35
Legend

ik17 wrote:Nothing wrong with having a starting Canadian running back though, Jamall Lee can do the job. Helps our ratio.
I think FA season is about to get very interesting..... given that the Lions have some specific needs at DE (if Foley doesn't re-sign) and perhaps at LB.....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

How long is Jamall Lee signed up for? I expect he will get another look when his contract allows.

This is f***ing annoying as hell.

By the way, Martell looks awesome in the video. It almost looks like the Lions video guys did it up for him. LOL Nice. Doin' right by Martell. Lettin' the NFL guys know what we have here. Yeah, and let's let him go early too. After all, it's doin' right by the player. The fans won't mind, will they?

Martell has such great, instinctive moves as the defenders try to line him up. They don't get clean shots. He runs bigger than his listed weight of 210. And he is one of those guys who plays even faster than his listed 40.

I'm thinking I might as well get back into watching our local high school football teams. The Lions seem like a team in constant, rapid transition. Hard to identify with.
Big Time
Champion

I am absolutely pissed about this. There was absolutely no reason for Wally to do this. It's just like when he let Carter walk to the Ticats for nothing. He seems to have no problem cutting guys when they are no longer of use to him. Why can't he then hold on to guys who are of use?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Anybody thinking about the Mallett 35 jersey in the wardrobe?

Well, you may soon be able to get an Eagles jersey with his name on it now. Just as good, right? We'll root for him just as much, right?

And we don't know who our starting running back is, but that don't matter. These guys come and go.

Well, fans have come and gone before too. A team needs stability. Some fans, myself included, want stability. The players have to do more than have a quick cup of coffee here, before moving on to greener pastures.

Very pi***d off.

Are you listening, Lions' management? Anybody home? Hello ......
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Big Time wrote: You can't hope to find a Smith/Logan/Mallett every year.
I'm upset as the next guy, but it seems we have found these guys every year.

Unless you're willing to sign unproven talent to more than a 1+1, this is going to happen. The Holy Grail for most if not all US born players is the NFL, and certainly that dream doesn't die after 1 or 2 seasons in the CFL. Although we have may have been lucky to replace these players, where it stings is with identity with the fans and moreso with the really loyal fan base.

I have had 5 jerseys over the last 4 seasons, Printers, Dickenson, Murphy, Wake and Lumbala....lol and I was considering a Mallett jersey :bang:for this season. I feel sad for the younger fans who are looking to follow a player, ie Geroy, for a number of years. I wish that the CFL team supplying the player could be compensated financially if he is to sign south of the border.

Sad to see him leave, but best wishes Martell.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

But that's just the problem we face now with no other leagues to take the pressure off of the CFL.

You can't deny someone a chance to better themselves; you just can't. I for one commend Wally for being supportive. I wish these players well. Perhaps this is just what the CFL needs, more exposure down south by way of good players getting a chance to play. Maybe more will see the CFL as a good opportunity.

The onus is on Wally and his staff to find replacements. If it makes you feel any better we never thought someone wouldcome in and fill Logan's shoes..but Mallet did. Go find another one Shivers.
Big Time
Champion

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:
Big Time wrote: You can't hope to find a Smith/Logan/Mallett every year.
I'm upset as the next guy, but it seems we have found these guys every year.
True, but sooner or later this strategy is going to bite them.
West Coast Blue Fan wrote: Unless you're willing to sign unproven talent to more than a 1+1, this is going to happen. The Holy Grail for most if not all US born players is the NFL, and certainly that dream doesn't die after 1 or 2 seasons in the CFL. Although we have may have been lucky to replace these players, where it stings is with identity with the fans and moreso with the really loyal fan base.
Tell me what exactly the problem is with signing unproven talent to more than a 1 + 1? In fact, why the hell are they signing anyone to anything LESS than a 2 + 1? It's not like these deals are guaranteed. If a guy doesn't work out, you cut him, it costs you next to nothing and you move on. Seems to me to be a win for the team and the fans. But as long as Wally let's guys go whether they are signed to a 2 year deal or not, I guess it really doesn't matter. I'm just frustrated by how we are losing so much talent for no reason.
West Coast Blue Fan wrote: I have had 5 jerseys over the last 4 seasons, Printers, Dickenson, Murphy, Wake and Lumbala....lol and I was considering a Mallett jersey :bang:for this season.
Wow, you are practically a kiss of death. Do us all a favour and buy Burris, Ray and Durant jerseys, will ya? :tease:
David
Team Captain

As upset as I am about losing yet another player to the NFL, in a way it speaks to the level of talent in this league and shows the non-believers that there are a lot of players up here that can compete in the best sports league in the world....it's just that we seem to have taken a bigger hit than most.

On the plus side, I have no problems cheering for an all-Canadian backfield of Jamall Lee and Andrew Harris. Maybe Wally will not want to turn Harris into a safety any longer. Personally, he showed me more at camp last year than virtually every back we had. This could be an exciting opportunity for two young Canadians.

[youtube][/youtube]

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
ziggy
Legend

It would be interesting to see how much league support you would get for changing the way initial contracts are structured. It would have to be league wide or players would simply sign with Canadian Teams that offered easier options to leave for the NFL. I'm not convinced all the teams are feeling as plundered as we are, so I'm not sure there is a lot of support (or sympathy) for our position. Seems you have to either sign players that aren't good enough to garner NFL interest, yet good enough to play up here, or hope the guys who leave don't stick. Given the number of football players coming out of college every year, I think we will always be able to find new players. Given we are the only other real football league other than the NFL for new players to show their stuff, I think we can expect that some of our players will prove just as good a those drafted in the NFL and therefore will attract NFL attention.