Eric Tillman’s CFL resurrection - Cam Cole

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The only time an absolute discharge is granted is if the facts are not in dispute and the defendant mans up and accepts the blame. In this case the Crown did not oppose the defence seeking a discharge which would not be the case if there were issues and facts were not agreed upon. If the judge felt the Crown should have contested and opposed a discharge you can bet the judge would have ripped the Crown prosecutor big time!

The other factor is that the judge did not hesitate in imposing sentence immediately after the guilty plea. If he had any reservations about this case and feeling that the defendant might not accept the seriousness etc he would have asked for a pre-sentence report.

That this plea agreement of sorts happened just before the trial is typical of the justice system where prosecutors overburdened with cases only get the file back out in the few days before the trial date. Often defence counsel are in the same situation and mysteriously the case takes an unexpected turn. Most civil litigation ends on the court house steps not at far earlier stages which is another huge issue for the courts but another topic.

The loopy out of character behavior no doubt contributed to the judge's ruling for a complete discharge and also the recognition that his reputation as a well known and high profile person was damage enough.

But if the defendant was saying he was innocent and not accepting, he very likely would not have got any sort of discharge let alone one that is absolute.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Till ... story.html
EDMONTON — Eric Tillman is among the considered candidates to fill the hole as Edmonton Eskimos general manager after the Canadian Football League club fired Danny Maciocia on July 31.

The three-time Grey Cup champion winner would not confirm as much but did tell The Journal late Tuesday night that: “Across the league, this opportunity is viewed as a very special one, given the Eskimos’ rich history, and the passion their fan base has to enjoy success again. As to who the candidates are, and what has or may unfold in the coming days, I believe it’s best for there to be one voice and to let Rick speak regarding the process.”
It is a tough call. Would you hire him?

His credentials as a football GM are very, very good.

Does hiring him tarnish your team? Unfortunately I think it still does. I would think he would be better off going to a college team in the American Southeast.
Tillman was referring to Eskimos president and CEO Rick LeLacheur, who he is said to have interviewed with last week for the position. Tillman, who helped guide the B.C. Lions, Toronto Argonauts and Saskatchewan Roughriders to CFL titles in 1994, 1997 and most recently 2007, respectively, stepped down from his post with the Riders in early January after pleading guilty to the sexual assault of his 16-year-old babysitter, an incident that occurred inside his home in August of 2008.
Tillman was given an absolute discharge by Regina Judge Murray Hinds, who stated at the time that Tillman was “genuinely remorseful” for his behaviour.

“In this case, there’s no suggestion that Mr. Tillman is not generally of good character,” Hinds said. “He has no prior criminal record. His behaviour towards (the teenage girl) on Aug. 6 appears to be an aberration fuelled by his consumption of two non-prescription drugs, which he used for sleep and pain relief.”

The judge’s decision meant Tillman is still considered guilty of the offence, but he would not have a criminal conviction, nor meet any sentencing conditions. Tillman, 52 at the time, then apologized outside the courtroom.

“While I’m very pleased, obviously, with the decision today, I want to make it very, very clear that a mistake was made, and I, as I said yesterday, I assume full responsibility for it,” Tillman told reporters. “Although it was without an ounce of malice or intent, it’s a regret that I’ll take to my grave. As I said yesterday, I am profoundly sorry.”

Tillman stood up in court and tearfully apologized to the victim, his and her families and the Roughriders organization and its fans. He was then forgiven by the teenager’s family.

The former CFL scout, who also worked as a TV analyst for TSN and Sportsnet, then resigned from the Roughriders, telling reporters he wanted to remain in Regina but that he didn’t want to tarnish the football team, which he had come to love, any more than he already had.

“There was no question this was the best thing for the club, without a doubt,” he said at the time. “The ‘S’ on the helmet stands for Saskatchewan, and (the team) is bigger than all of us.”

The Riders’ board of directors unanimously accepted Tillman’s resignation.
Forgiven by the family. That is big.

“There was no question this was the best thing for the club, without a doubt,” he said at the time. “The ‘S’ on the helmet stands for Saskatchewan, and (the team) is bigger than all of us.”

If it is good for the Riders to have him separated from their team, by his own declaration, is it also good for the Eskimos to stay away?
The Esks approached the Calgary Stampeders for permission to speak to director of player personnel John Murphy, but they were denied. With the organization likely to name a replacement, possibly as early as later this month, Murphy is also out of the picture. Tiger-Cats assistant GM Marcel Desjardins and B.C. assistant GM and player personnel co-ordinator Neil McEvoy’s names have also been mentioned as possible candidates.
Forgiveness is one thing. Damage to your team is another. Just IMO ... Not violently opposed to Tillman on any moral grounds, especially in view of the forgiveness by the family. One minute of lunacy can destroy a career.

Neil McEvoy does a ton of work for the Lions. If he left, Wally would be spending more hours on the job.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Despite what happened in Regina, Eric Tillman would be an asset to any organization.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

despite what happened in regina, tillman is still a pissant.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

More importantly, opinion about Tillman is still strongly divided among members of the football community (includes fans). Bringing in ET would only be a new act in the circus that has become the Edmonton Eskimos. Nope, they can't afford to take the chance with him that he would be a huge distraction on a team that is hardly sound to begin with. Maybe on a solid team that is performing well, that might be one thing or maybe in the off season but at this moment in time, the BOG in Schmoland would be absolutely insane to consider him. Don't forget that this is a fan base that "never really embraced" DM. How much embracing are they likely to do with ET given his current situation.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Turning that franchise around and winning a Grey Cup like what he did with the Riders would certainly make a lot of Edmontonians forget about his past.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I sure hope they don't hire him. Just my views.
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:More importantly, opinion about Tillman is still strongly divided among members of the football community (includes fans). Bringing in ET would only be a new act in the circus that has become the Edmonton Eskimos. Nope, they can't afford to take the chance with him that he would be a huge distraction on a team that is hardly sound to begin with. Maybe on a solid team that is performing well, that might be one thing or maybe in the off season but at this moment in time, the BOG in Schmoland would be absolutely insane to consider him. Don't forget that this is a fan base that "never really embraced" DM. How much embracing are they likely to do with ET given his current situation.
100% agree Sir P. They are losing fan interest now, they don't need to distance more fans for another potential legitimate reason.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lionheart wrote:I sure hope they don't hire him. Just my views.
I share your views. But does the Eskimo organization value winning on the field enough to offset the damage Tillman's hiring would cause to the club's reputation in the community? I wouldn't bet against his hiring.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
I share your views. But does the Eskimo organization value winning on the field enough to offset the damage Tillman's hiring would cause to the club's reputation in the community? I wouldn't bet against his hiring.
You are reading into Lionheart's post, he didn't give out his reasoning on the hope he has for the Esks not to hire Tillman, it may well be due to another direction.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
You are reading into Lionheart's post, he didn't give out his reasoning on the hope he has for the Esks not to hire Tillman, it may well be due to another direction.
Perhaps he was referring to Tillman's lackluster performance over 4 years in Ottawa?
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Rammer - :roar:

Tillman is a very good GM. He would be able to turn that sunken ship around.. and this my Lion friends is not what I want... enjoy the glory of empire destruction here a little longer; makes me feel kinda giddy. :popcorn:
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

If I was the private owner of a team in need of a GM I would give Tillman a serious look. But not if I am the president of a community owned club. While some fans of either team may have issues with Tillman, a private owner can take responsibility for the decision and take the heat that comes from some fans. If Tillman succeeds likely all is forgiven, if he fails he probably gets fired much quicker than a GM with less baggage. Either way the buck stops with the owner. Not so with a community owned team. You risk alienating the people who not only support the team at the turnstile, but actually own the franchise as well.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:Turning that franchise around and winning a Grey Cup like what he did with the Riders would certainly make a lot of Edmontonians forget about his past.
Problem is that it would take time for that to happen and the here and now is the problem. Having done a bit of lurking around Esksfans at the time of the ET resignation, I read more than a few naysayers to the concept of ever having Eric Tillman as GM for the Esks. Granted time will quieten such points of view but there certainly hasn't been much time past since the whole issue went down. Don't forget, the fan base has been disenfranchised with the Leadership of the BOG in regards to DM for some time. If they have any sense about them at all, they won't be looking for more of the same trouble. They have enough problems as it stands. Maybe they can coax Hugh Campbell out of retirement for the remainder of the season. That would likely buy them some breathing room to look for the proper replacement.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.