More details on the move to Empire

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

From yesterday's Sun:

Today's Province reports the temporary stadium at Empire will cost $10 million to build. Still can't believe PavCo has agreed to pick-up the entire cost unless the Lions have it somewhere in their lease they must be provided an alternate venue.

Right now leaning on putting my season tickets in hiatus for the Empire option but will attend a few games.
Lions like move to old Empire site; BC Place renovations force switch in 2010
Vancouver Sun
Gary Kingston

Moving to a temporary 30,000-seat facility on the old Empire Stadium site for the 2010 CFL season will be a great opportunity for the B.C. Lions to celebrate the club's heritage and tradition, says vice-president/business George Chayka.

The Lions, who played at Empire from their inception in 1954 until 1982, will have to vacate BC Place Stadium in 2010 to allow for construction of a retractable roof.

The 32,375-seat Empire Stadium was demolished in the early 1990s and served as a parking lot for the Pacific National Exhibition for several years before the property was converted to soccer and ball fields.

"There's a ton of opportunities," Chayka said of tying promotions and game-day activities to the Lions' early years outdoors in the By Bailey-Willie Fleming-Joe Kapp era. "It really is a chance to create a celebration of the past, present and future."

The B.C. Pavilion Corp., which operates BC Place, has included the costs of a temporary stadium in the $458-million retractable roof project that was confirmed on Friday.

Long-time Lions' season ticket holder Doug Kingston of Aldergrove said he likes the idea of watching games outdoors next season. "It would be great. It would be like a mini-[Seattle] Seahawks stadium. But I wonder what it will be like going back in the dome [in 2011]. They run the risk everybody will like it so much that they'll complain about going back."

Chayka said he didn't think that would be an issue.

"With the retractable roof, we're going to have the best of both worlds in an updated and fresh BC Place Stadium. It will be an exciting move and an exciting transition."

A formal announcement on the particulars of the temporary stadium is still a few weeks away, but Chayka said he hopes capacity will be close to the club's current average attendance of just under 30,000. He suggested the majority, if not all, of the grandstanding could be covered and current season-ticket holders should be relocated as close as possible to the yard line on which they're currently seated.

Temporary washrooms and concessions would also be installed on the site, which sits in the shadow of the PNE Playland's classic wooden roller coaster.

"The type of stadiums that can be constructed on a portable basis are quite impressive," said Chayka. "[PavCo] are in discussion with companies that are very familiar with that kind of work."

He said no final decision has been made on whether the field will be natural grass or turf, although the latter "is the more durable surface."
Bosco
Team Captain

Sammy Greene - I'm curious if other season ticket holders plan on taking the same route as yourself. My initial thoughts are to renew, but I'll be be curious in what the Lions have to offer / prices, etc.

Throwing it out there...how many other season ticket holders think they may not renew in 2010?
Rammer
Team Captain

Bosco wrote:Sammy Greene - I'm curious if other season ticket holders plan on taking the same route as yourself. My initial thoughts are to renew, but I'll be be curious in what the Lions have to offer / prices, etc.

Throwing it out there...how many other season ticket holders think they may not renew in 2010?
I will wait out the season, see what is going to shake down with the players like I always do, and then purchase my ST. :lol:
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Bosco wrote:Sammy Greene - I'm curious if other season ticket holders plan on taking the same route as yourself. My initial thoughts are to renew, but I'll be be curious in what the Lions have to offer / prices, etc.

I'll be there, rain or shine. I can barely get through a seven-month offseason without football. There's no way I could sit out a season. And I look forwad to a return to the Empire site, where I got my first season's tickets in 1967.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

I am so at Empire. I've only been to one truly outdoor game in my life and I loved it.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Ive got a bit of a drive from the burbs but Ill give it a try on those days Im not woking. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
hwgill
Legend

Right now, I'm thinking to not renew for next year...however, what I may do is renew, and then give the tickets away to others to go to the game. I am not interested in being outdoors in the fall...nor am I interested in searching for parking down there. I'd rather stay at home and watch the game on HD.
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Full circle for me. Started watching the Lions while they were at Empire Stadium and now they're returning. Wonder if the pigeons and sea gulls are still there.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

Will we get our seats back at bc place after?
2012 Season Ticket Holder
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:

I'll be there, rain or shine. I can barely get through a seven-month offseason without football. There's no way I could sit out a season. And I look forwad to a return to the Empire site, where I got my first season's tickets in 1967.
:whs:

I can't wait. Those of you who know me have had to put up with me going on and on about a return to outdoor football. Now I finally get my wish. :wink:

I think we stand to attract many new fans who never went to BC Place because they heard it was cavernous and sterile, or that it was a suana in the summertime, attracted the wrong element etc. This is like a fresh start. I'm counting on those fans becoming hooked and purchasing season tickets for a completely refurbished BC Place in 2011. I also think the more intimate experience will work to the club's advantage. A full stadium of 32,000 fans on a warm summer night is going to be an incredible experience. :rockin:

I'm pretty sure priority seating in 2011 will be given to those who renew next year, so it may not be as simple as "I may just pass on next year and come back in 2011." The seats you're used to sitting in might not be available.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

David wrote:I think we stand to attract many new fans who never went to BC Place because they heard it was cavernous and sterile, or that it was a suana in the summertime, attracted the wrong element etc. This is like a fresh start. I'm counting on those fans becoming hooked and purchasing season tickets for a completely refurbished BC Place in 2011. I also think the more intimate experience will work to the club's advantage. A full stadium of 32,000 fans on a warm summer night is going to be an incredible experience. :rockin:
By the same token, we could lose some fans if the location proves inconvenient due to lack of nearby parking/rapid transit. I don't pretend to speak for everybody, but in my case this is going to add about half an hour of travel each way to get to and from the game, through a neighbourhood I'd just as soon avoid, so I can't say I'm completely enamoured with this stopgap measure. Let's hope 2010 doesn't prove to be the wettest summer/early fall this town sees in ±25 years.
I'm pretty sure priority seating in 2011 will be given to those who renew next year, so it may not be as simple as "I may just pass on next year and come back in 2011." The seats you're used to sitting in might not be available.

DH
They ought to provide some post-2010 incentive for people to get STs for 2010, I do agree with you there. We'll find out in the next month or so.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
.G.
All Star

I'll probably pass at renewing for my 3rd season, but I'm concerned about losing my seats at BC Place, I'm curious to see how they'll work all that out.
MABEY!
xon100
Starter

The move to Empire has some good things, hopefully with more parking there can actually be some tailgating now. At the same time, it really forces a lot more people to have to drive to the game, its a lot longer walk to the nearest skytrain station. For now I am a maybe for renewing. For the summer it will be nice to be outdoors, but rainy October is not as fun. I much prefer -5 or -10 and dry then +8 and soaked. But then again that is only for watching football, the rest of the time I'll take the +8. Really for me it will depend on the type of seating and the cost. Some temp seating can really suck.
Sometimes nothing is a real cool hand.
Big Time
Champion

If it's anything like my experience parking yesterday at the Giants game, you can count me out for next season. Empire stadium is really inconvenient for me to get to because I'm forced to drive rather than take transit. The parking situation is terrible around there, not to mention the traffic after the game. I may go to one or two games in the summer but as as far as sitting out in the rain during a game, sorry but I'll watch it at home in HD.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Is there a skytrain to the PNE?

I'm curious as to how it will affect the club seats that Braley said has saved the Lions financially this year with the drop in season ticket holders (made up with the difference in the price of the club seats).

Can't see me picking up season tickets again. Kids are just getting too active anymore for me to make the long drive in. When they were younger it was easy to justify and get in to town. Now with less saturday night games and the kids being involved in more things, makes it too tough. Can't see that changing anytime soon, my youngest is now getting into soccer.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??