Jackson and Browner fined for TD celebrations

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

jim604
All Star

I saw the Browner one coming...

TORONTO -- Some over-exuberant touchdown celebrations cost a pair of CFL players Tuesday.

Slotback Paris Jackson of the B.C. Lions and defensive back Brandon Browner of the Calgary Stampeders were both fined undisclosed amounts by the CFL for excessive celebrations in games last week.

Jackson removed his shoes and danced as if his feet were on fire after hauling in a 15-year touchdown pass from quarterback Jarious Jackson in the Lions' 40-22 win over the Edmonton Eskimos on Thursday. He earned the CFL's top Canadian player of the week honours.

Browner intercepted a Kerry Joseph pass and returned it 25 yards for a touchdown in the Stampeders 44-9 win over the Toronto Argonauts on Friday night.

In a release, the league said it encourages players to enjoy the touchdown moment but "excessive celebrations that include the removal of equipment or the use of foreign objects that delay the game will not be tolerated."
http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=285284
Gerry
Legend

Fine with me. I hate that stuff.
Enough is enough.
Rammer
Team Captain

Gerry wrote:Fine with me. I hate that stuff.
You hate beer? j/k
Entertainment value = an all time low
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

I can see where the league is coming from. Obviously, this is a page of out the NFL book. I'm not saying that the CFL is the baby brother to the No Fun League, however, having said all that, and it could be possibly mis-construed as being hypocritical but, I have no problem with Geroy's superman pose. It's quick and simple.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Canuck_4_Life wrote:I can see where the league is coming from. Obviously, this is a page of out the NFL book. I'm not saying that the CFL is the baby brother to the No Fun League, however, having said all that, and it could be possibly mis-construed as being hypocritical but, I have no problem with Geroy's superman pose. It's quick and simple.

I too see this (not the Geroy pose unless he did it to the opposing teams bench - which he doesn't).

What I find funny is the CFL bafflegab and rationale - use of foreign objects - laughable. Why not just say - while this is an isolated incident the CFL has cautioned teams, players and coaches that players are not to accept anything handed from the stands. No fine but this will not be tolerated in future.

As far as that dance by Paris Jackson maybe his head is all fogged from smoking them cigars- that dance was brutal and he needs no fine for that. The league should simply say that no fine is being assessed as the player will have to live with that embarrassing moment the rest of his life.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy