Another big CFL name bites the bullet, JJ Armour Released

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=282569

He must be enjoying that GC ring today....strange to cut him at this timeline, IMO.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Hmm, makes you wonder about Jamal Johnson? Could they be making room for him?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There may be more to this than his abilities as a linebacker. Allen Cameron of the Calgary Herals has this report in his blog:
Stamps release JoJuan Armour By alcameron 06-22-2009 COMMENTS(0) Stamps Insider

The Calgary Stampeders have released veteran linebacker JoJuan Armour.
The team made the announcement on Monday, a day before their pre-season finale Tuesday in Regina.
Armour, 32, was involved in an on-field incident during the Stamps’ practice on Friday that prompted Stamps coach and GM John Hufnagel to end practice early. He was entering his second season in Calgary.
With Armour gone, that opens the door for Lemarcus Rowell and rookie Tray Blackmon to replace Armour in the middle of the linebacking corps.
Hufnagel was going to address the issue after practice today.
Link
Rammer
Team Captain

Didn't he also have off-field issues last season *Edit*? Combine the two situations and you have to think that he was becoming more work than reward. IIRC Hufnagel had a zero tolerance last season for practice fights, looks like this is his example by fire.

Edit:
Armour has been charged with resisting arrest in connection with a fight and stabbing in his hometown of Toledo, Ohio, according to Thursday's Hamilton Spectator.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:IIRC Hufnagel had a zero tolerance last season for practice fights, looks like this is his example by fire.
Zero tolerance for practice fights. Interesting.

I tend to agree with that approach. Fighting with a teammate is self-indulgence, not a good way to build self-control or discipline. Plus it does not prove anything except that you are a hothead, and easily frustrated.

Not the biggest deal. Wally seems to tolerate some fire at practice, within limits. Depends on the coach, and successful coaches make different approaches work for them.

Hoping the Stampeders don't scoop up Jamall Johnson. That would be just their style. Hufnagel seems to have had everything going for him in his brief head coaching career in the CFL.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Rammer wrote:IIRC Hufnagel had a zero tolerance last season for practice fights, looks like this is his example by fire.
Zero tolerance for practice fights. Interesting.

I tend to agree with that approach. Fighting with a teammate is self-indulgence, not a good way to build self-control or discipline. Plus it does not prove anything except that you are a hothead, and easily frustrated.

Not the biggest deal. Wally seems to tolerate some fire at practice, within limits. Depends on the coach, and successful coaches make different approaches work for them.

Hoping the Stampeders don't scoop up Jamall Johnson. That would be just their style. Hufnagel seems to have had everything going for him in his brief head coaching career in the CFL.
Who fought with Geroy during the stretch run last season?
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

You could see the writing on the wall last season when Armour took so many dumb onfield penalties, and most of them and the worst possible times, keeping opponents (great for us) drives alive.

I couldn't help but wonder then if it was a case of roid rage, as he seemed to be more aggdresive and have a much shorter fuse than I remember him in his days with the Leos.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
This would be the absolute worst case scenario Joe. God the thought of it alone sours my milk.

It would prove to be a wise move to coax Jamal to return to our roster as an insurance policy of sorts, as we have need of depth at linebacker and his experience is invaluable, and he could hurt you in more ways than one (injury our running backs) if the competition get to him first.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

John Hufnagel sending a message to the team.
David
Team Captain

CKNW reporting that Lions are going after both Johnson and Armour.

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=282569

He must be enjoying that GC ring today....strange to cut him at this timeline, IMO.
Those rings always look so overthetop! The Stamps did a good job on the 2008 rings, IMO. Lots of rubies, I guess.
LFITQ
Team Captain

David wrote:CKNW reporting that Lions are going after both Johnson and Armour.

DH
Provided the issues that had Armour released don't creep up again here, if Wally can get both of those, a possible weak link - our linebacking corps - can suddenly be an area of depth with Glatt, McKenzie, Nande, Armour and Johnson. However, I doubt Wally will for both. Probably one or the other only.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Wakesbetterthanyou
Legend

Jojuan Armour came into training camp, not passing his physical, as a heart murmor was detected. He was released after running drills full speed when he was told to just do a walk through. Armour was involved in an incident last season in which he defended a woman that was being attacked by a male aquaintence. He was bench for the following game.
Check out my lions art http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =4&t=15940

How does a rider fan spell dynasty????

O N E
Rammer
Team Captain

DH
That almost poses a good poll, which one would you want most on your team (My thinking is that only one would sign here)? Personally, I would go after Johnson, he is younger and has less issues surrounding him.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:

DH
That almost poses a good poll, which one would you want most on your team (My thinking is that only one would sign here)? Personally, I would go after Johnson, he is younger and has less issues surrounding him.
:wss: My feelings exactly Rammer!