Lions major announcement?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

joesports
All Star

I caught on 1040 this afternoon that David Braley was going to be holding a press conference in Vancouver tomorrow where a "major announcement" would be made.

Anyone have an idea what it could be? It's got to be more than just a player signing, since Wally handles those conferences himself. Rick Ball was speculating that it could be the sale of the team........
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Maybe Pierce signing the new deal?
Rammer
Team Captain

joesports wrote:I caught on 1040 this afternoon that David Braley was going to be holding a press conference in Vancouver tomorrow where a "major announcement" would be made.

Anyone have an idea what it could be? It's got to be more than just a player signing, since Wally handles those conferences himself. Rick Ball was speculating that it could be the sale of the team........
The sale/partnership or the purchase of the Surrey facilities sounds possible. Although the limited outlets that this announcement went out to, is very intriguing.
Entertainment value = an all time low
firstdown45

I'm thinking promoting George Chayka to President...

or terminating 1040's contract and signing on with CKNW...

I believe it's a Broadcast related announcement
joesports
All Star

Is it the hosting of a Grey Cup? Jim Mullin posted a thread a moment ago......
Rammer
Team Captain

joesports wrote:Is it the hosting of a Grey Cup? Jim Mullin posted a thread a moment ago......
CKNW Breaking News...
The BC Lions have called a major press conference for downtown tomorrow, with David Braley and Premier Gordon Campbell participating.
CKNW has learned that the Lions and the provincial government will announce plans to host the 2011 Grey Cup.
Sent: 4:55pm
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Let’s hope that that whatever the reason for the announcement today, it will be about what will
ultimately benefit of the team we have all cherished for so long.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

With Gordo also on the podium and the BC Place roof project funding being included in the recent Provincial Budget I suspect in addition to any announcement re: GC 2011 there will also be some sort of formal announcement or update regarding the stadium project. Obviously if the Lions are going after Grey Cup 2011 then the roof will be completed by the end of Q2 2011.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

3 Grey cups all West of Sask in a row. Does seem a bit unbalanced but I guess with the refurbished stadium, it makes some sense.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Sir Purrcival wrote:3 Grey cups all West of Sask in a row. Does seem a bit unbalanced but I guess with the refurbished stadium, it makes some sense.
Well we're just coming off 3 GCs in a row all east of Saskatchewan so 3 in the west isn't out of the question.

When word first leaked a several weeks ago that Edmonton would host in 2010 I posted that BC would be the odds on favourite for 2011. Looking at the different cities it's easy to see how BC became a non-brainer for 2011.

Putting cities in order of last time hosting GC from longest to most recent:

Hamilton - 1996 - Ivor Wynne is inadequate for GC and organization doesn't seem ready for the challenge. Hamilton is in running for 2015 Pan-Am games. The awarding of those games is expected to happen this fall. If successful a new stadium to replace Ivor Wynne is anticipated to be part of the legacy. http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/383054 . Obviously Hamilton would be far more attractive as a potential GC site with a new stadium.

Calgary - 2000 - Hosting in 2009

Edmonton - 2002 - Hosting in 2010

Regina - 2003 - Regina always is a challenge due to lack of hotel space. With the Saskatchewan economy being as strong or stronger than any other province these days there seems to be an appetite to replace or significantly upgrade Mosaic. Similar to Hamilton it would be in the CFL's best interests to see if that comes to fruition first to time a GC shortly after.

Ottawa - 2004 - No team but has been tentatively awarded 2014

Vancouver - 2005 - With all teams listed above having already been awarded a future Grey Cup or being put on the backburner it becomes a no-brainer that it's Vancouver's turn for 2011.

Winnipeg - 2006 - Winnipeg is the farthest along with proposals for a new stadium. There seems to be only some finalizing of some government commitments left to tie up before this is a go. Look for them to get showcase the new stadium with the 2013 Grey Cup.

Toronto - 2007 - will get 100th GC in 2012.

Montreal - 2008 - will slide in again somewhere between 2015 and 2018 assuming the Big Owe is still standing.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
pennw
Legend

firstdown45 wrote:I'm thinking promoting George Chayka to President...

So you're wrong again as usual .
Rammer
Team Captain

pennw wrote:
firstdown45 wrote:I'm thinking promoting George Chayka to President...

So you're wrong again as usual .
I don't know about that, he was casting broadly on his assumptions. :tease:
pennw
Legend

Well Rammer , he did put in two specifics in there that I could see and both were wrong . Now the question is, is he ever right? The 1040 thing is something he's harped on for some time now as well as giving Mcletchie a hard time . But of course ,being wrong on all these things he harps on . Atleast he's on a solid streak though .
McLetchie
Rookie

I was waiting for thoughts from fd that the Lionbackers change in format was a clear sign that NW had taken the Lions rights back.
David
Team Captain

Probably because he's on...umm...errr..."vacation" right now. :wink:

Had quite the laugh yesterday when I perused the Lions' forum and saw FD45 up to his old tricks:

120db wrote:With construction inside the Stadium to start in earnest in a few days, the Lions and CFL have been asked by the operator Pavco to amend the schedule.

One proposal being looked at as being necessary is to have the Lions play half the season on the road ( 9 straight road games).

In actuality, the Lions don't own the Stadium and may have to settle with whatever they are handed.

This should be an interesting battle.
120db wrote:Looks like the Preseason game here June 23 will have to be shelved (moved to Edmonton).

Construction goes into high gear next week.

Remember that the entire inner roof lining has to be replaced with a clean shiner one before November when the Stadium is handed over to VANOC for 2010 prep.

144 inner panels have to be replaced with big tall cranes. Will be interesting to see if they meet the deadline as it takes 3 full days for field install / roll up.
Lions Comm wrote:This information is completely INCORRECT - the BC Lions schedule has been locked in and there will be NO changes for the 2009 season.

- BC Lions communications department
:rotf:

DH
Roar, You Lions, Roar