Zac Champion

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Matt Dunigan has proudly pointed out that both Joe Smith and Zac Champion are from his alma mater, Louisiana Tech.

It seems that at some point Zac was on the NFL's radar (Look at the scouting report below). I wonder how and why he slid in their estimation, allowing the Lions to get him on their roster.

The way NFL teams evaluate prospects is sometimes bewildering. But it is great for the CFL. Some guys that do not fit the "NFL profile" star in the CFL, and, we CFL fans know, could also play in the NFL. One example of this is the seeming prejudice Bill Parcells has towards only wanting big guys on his team (thus allowing us to pick up Stefan Logan after his release by the Miami Dolphins).

It's easy to have high expectations for Zac. As I have said, he reminds me of Buck Pierce 3 years ago. One of Zac's strengths would seem to be his ability to make quick accurate reads. He also has escapability, the qualities of character Buono values, and a quick release.

Too bad for Gino Guidugli (if it turns out he is released), no knock on him, but the team has to go with the player the team feels has more potential, and grades out higher.

By the way, it's good to see how sharp Buck Pierce and Jarious Jackson were against Calgary. It makes for a tough decision for Wally Buono, but a good situation for the Lions.
Zac Champion

According to ESPN's Mel Kiper, Zac Champion's performance during the 2006 and 2007 seasons, including his stunning overtime defeat in 2007's game against conference rivals University of Hawaii, has garnered considerable attention from NFL scouts and is considered a likely late first round or early second round draft pick. Sports news website, Rivals.com, projects Champion as high as the 23rd overall pick in the first draft pick.

Champion has expressed interest in succeeding legendary Green Bay Packers retiring quarterback, Brett Favre and Favre himself has shown considerable interest in the young prospect. In an interview on March 6th, 2008 with CNN, Favre was quoted as saying that Champion's "great potential and leadership qualities" would make him a purrfect fit for the relatively young talent on the Packers team he led to the playoffs.
Lions33
Starter

interesting it will be good to have him on our team
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I was thinking on the way out I've never been so impressed by a QB who threw incompletions. Those throws looked so close to being for long gains.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

In his short time Champion was in there, he demonstrated a very quick release and a good arm. Would have like to see him play more but I can understand Buono's thinking of giving valuable reps to Buck and Jarius.
Tighthead
Legend

I know the media is saying that Parcells likes the big guys, but look at two of his RBs from his Giants days: Joe Morris and Dave Meggett. Parcells has always been willing to find a spot for the right little guy. He also had Richie Anderson as his FB, and he was only RB sized. He likes Terry Glenn as a WR, and Glenn is not a big body.

I think Parcells just didn't see a role for Logan in Miami, but not necessarily because of his size.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:I know the media is saying that Parcells likes the big guys, but look at two of his RBs from his Giants days: Joe Morris and Dave Meggett. Parcells has always been willing to find a spot for the right little guy. He also had Richie Anderson as his FB, and he was only RB sized. He likes Terry Glenn as a WR, and Glenn is not a big body.

I think Parcells just didn't see a role for Logan in Miami, but not necessarily because of his size.
Point well made. I forgot about those "little guys" he had with the Giants.

Parcells is one my favorite NFL coaches. He has had great success at rapidly rebuilding teams. We will see how things go for him in Miami. I suspect he got tired of the Jerry Jones ego show in Dallas.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Tighthead wrote:I know the media is saying that Parcells likes the big guys, but look at two of his RBs from his Giants days: Joe Morris and Dave Meggett. Parcells has always been willing to find a spot for the right little guy. He also had Richie Anderson as his FB, and he was only RB sized. He likes Terry Glenn as a WR, and Glenn is not a big body.

Point well made. I forgot about those "little guys" he had with the Giants.

Parcells is one my favorite NFL coaches. He has had great success at rapidly rebuilding teams. We will see how things go for him in Miami.
His problem is that Miami needs a high tide change vs a rapid in order to help the Dolphins back to respectability. :tease:
Entertainment value = an all time low
Leothelion
All Star

Zach was very good in training camp with his quick reads and release which impress the coaches. It was really bad weather but he still found a way. I like him.

leo