2009 Grey Cup Question

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

bcbillsfan
Rookie

Would the 97th GC in 2009 be played on Sunday November 22nd, or Sunday November 29th? I am determined to go to the 2009 GC as long as it is west of Ontario, Montreal is a little too far away for the next GC.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Scheduled for 2009/11/22 but venue still TBA according to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Grey_Cup

It seems Hamilton (who last hosted in 1996) and Calgary (2000) are considered the front runners, presumably since by 2009, they will be the only two CFL cities not to have hosted over the previous eight seasons.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I'd be quite shocked if 2009 isn't in Calgary. They've always been ready, willing and able to host the event and have done so on relatively short notice in the past. I can't see the '09 game going back east for a 3rd consecutive year which would be the case if it went to Hamilton. But if Hamilton has interest again 2010 would be a good fit as it would set the table for the event to get into an East-West-East-West rotation. I think you can be guaranteed the 100th GC in 2012 will be in Toronto.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SJ46
Starter

Good plan. Whichever date it is you will have a great time. I've been to a couple of Grey Cup and really enjoyed it. Try to take enough time so that you arrive a few days ahead of the Grey Cup game day so you can take in all the happenings leading up to the game. Grey Cup week is an event all to itself.

If you contact the CFL they should be able to give you the date.
SJ46
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Generally the Grey Cup is held on the last Sunday in November
Hambone
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Generally the Grey Cup is held on the last Sunday in November
With the exception of prairie locations. Winnipeg and Regina in particular have hosted it earlier; Nov 19 & 16 respectively for their most recent GCs. With a choice of Nov.22 or 29 I think it would be a safe bet for Nov.22 regardless of location as it would leave the Oct.30/Nov.1 weekend for the final regular season games.
bcbillsfan
Rookie

I can not see Hamiliton as host either as the last two have will have been in the east which should make it in Calgary's turn. I guess I will have to wait for an official announcement regarding the date/location, I went to the last GC in Vancouver, that was awesome! Anyone been to a game in Calgary?
Ravi
Legend

Hamilton won't be hosting the '09 Grey Cup because they don't appear to have any interest in hosting a Grey Cup anytime soon.
swervyn mervyn
Rookie

is there any chance we can get the 2009 cup due to the publicity it would generate regarding the olympic games?
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

swervyn mervyn wrote:is there any chance we can get the 2009 cup due to the publicity it would generate regarding the olympic games?
Not likely.

First of all, there isn't much time to organize a first class Grey Cup such as that put on my Scott Ackles and crew in 2005. Second of all, Calgary has this wrapped up, they just haven't announced it yet.

And guess who the President of the Stampeders just happens to be? 8)
Ravi
Legend

Solar Max wrote:
swervyn mervyn wrote:is there any chance we can get the 2009 cup due to the publicity it would generate regarding the olympic games?
Not likely.

First of all, there isn't much time to organize a first class Grey Cup such as that put on my Scott Ackles and crew in 2005. Second of all, Calgary has this wrapped up, they just haven't announced it yet.

And guess who the President of the Stampeders just happens to be? 8)
At least this time, Calgary should be able to sell out their Grey Cup. The last Grey Cup which wasn't a complete sellout was the 2000 game in Calgary. That ended a decade where there were too many Grey Cup games which didn't sell out.
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Just out of curiosity, when would they likely be announcing the 09 Cup?
Real women wear orange!!
Hambone
Hall of Famer

CatsEyes wrote:Just out of curiosity, when would they likely be announcing the 09 Cup?
You would think it would be sometime between now and training camp; perhaps in conjunction with the CFL Draft as that's the next event that would draw focus on the league. They've been pretty good in recent years at having those things determined at least 18 months in advance so GC host teams can start getting the marketing ball rolling.