Jarious Jackson, Quarterback Mobility and the Deep Pass

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Action now Jackson's got contract

Two-year deal doesn't men he beats out Buck Pierce at QB

Lowell Ullrich, The Province

Published: Wednesday, February 06, 2008

It's a trait of athletes to remember even the most obscure details and, sure enough, Jarious Jackson's mind flashed back instantly to his first day with the Lions.

It was midway during the 2004 CFL season and Jackson was completely buried on the depth chart as he arrived for a look-see as a practice roster quarterback.

Dave Dickenson was the established starter. Casey Printers was in the process of putting together an MVP season. Spergon Wynn and Gio Carmazzi were the backups.

Defying logic, Jackson elected to return the following season. He later would need thumb ligament surgery that left him thinking he was about to be let go, and two years later was told he was being shopped in trade.

Yet Jackson came back again, just like when told he wasn't good enough to play quarterback in high school, college and the NFL.

He smiled as he looked back Tuesday, because without a large dose of patience Jackson would not have been in a position to sign the contract that will bind him to the Lions through 2009. Against considerable odds, he's the last quarterback standing.

"I remember thinking I'm glad I saved my money when I was in the NFL," Jackson said of his initial exposure to the Lions. "It's crazy how things transpire."

What the Lions want with Jackson and Buck Pierce now in place to compete for Dickenson's job is to avoid a sloppy transition to a new chapter in the club's history under coach Wally Buono.

B.C. may have dropped nearly 10 percent in pass completion percentage last year and had 817 fewer yards through the air in the pursuit of success along the ground.

They also have gone arguably from being the CFL team with the best QB depth to among the least, at least as viewed through the starting numbers of Pierce and Jackson (see chart), who have one 300-yard passing game between them.

But the Lions are convincing themselves what they lose with Dickenson they gain by the ability of Pierce, also locked up through 2009, and Jackson to operate a play-action set.

"Both guys give plays a lot longer capacity," said offensive coordinator Dan Dorazio. "They're also not starting from scratch."

And if it was time to turn the page, it also wasn't worth it to Buono to quibble over the $5,000 that separated the two sides for the longest time from reaching a deal believed to be worth $200,000 a year.

"I caved," countered Jackson, who negotiated his own contract. "I don't ever see Wally giving in."

The coach claims not to have a preconceived notion as to who will start the season and said he'll declare a winner after camp, learning from his indecision over Printers and Dickenson.

Already, however, Jackson became a winner of another sort when he decided a potentially-better free agent deal elsewhere was worth less than the chance to finally establish some roots.

"I can keep jumping ship," he said. "But you got to put your feet down on the ground somewhere."

Much as he did in a much different way four years ago.
Last edited by WestCoastJoe on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I am a big believer in Jarious Jackson. It starts with his character. Team guy. Unselfish. Patient. Friendly with the fans.

As a football player he is a rock. Strong, fast and agile with a rocket arm.

He has seemed nervous at the start of games. I guess he has a certain amount of baggage from confidence-killing years in the NFL. But he has shown great heart and courage in the latter stages of games. That is where his character shows.

His upside as a QB is enormous.

Along with Buck Pierce, he gives the Lions a good mix of talents at the QB position.

I have no preference which one comes out of TC as number one. They can both play. They will be 1 and 1a. Both will get to start some games this year.

I also like the potential of Gino Guidugli. I suspect he has more of a gunslinger attitude as a QB. Not as mobile as Buck and Jarious, but with a very good arm, and a big time willingness to throw the ball. He will get his chance sometime too.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jackson looking for some early jump

Pivot signs with Lions with starting job in mind

Mike Beamish Vancouver Sun

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

If he's to remain the B.C Lions' starting quarterback, Jarious Jackson believes he has to start quarterbacking better from the start.

After signing a two-year contract Tuesday, he set out the blueprint for improvement in 2008. The objective -- to play at a consistently high level from the start of the game until the end.

"That's going to be my focus this whole off-season," Jackson said.

"I need to start games faster, not waiting until the end of the second or third quarter to get things going. Sometimes, I did do that [in 2007]. It was just, at times, as a quarterback, if you miss a pass or two, then you get down on yourself a little bit. I tried too hard to be purrfect, instead of just letting it loose."

The outcome of a closely contested battle for the Lions' starting quarterback job will depend on which vision the coaches prefer -- Buck Pierce, equally dangerous with his legs and passing accuracy; or Jackson, with his exceedingly powerful arm and durability.

Head coach Wally Buono isn't willing to say at this time which of his quarterbacks has the inside track.

"I'm comfortable with either Buck or Jarious," Buono said. "They both have to be a part of the equation."

"Everybody wants to be The Guy. But I don't believe one guy is going to do it for us [for all 18 games]. The guy who starts our opening game will be No. 1 on that date."

Jackson was 9-2 as a starter last season, finally getting a chance to show his pedigree in his third CFL season following injuries to Pierce and Dave Dickenson.

His emergence gave the Lions the confidence to release Dickenson, with his hefty salary and concussion history, eight days after the season ended bitterly with a loss in the West Division final to Saskatchewan. Jackson completed just three of 12 passes as the starting quarterback in the hyped-up match before he was pulled in favour of Dickenson.

That's why he is not only too humble to be completely comfortable with the over-the-top praise he often received last season, Jackson's also too much of a realist to know some it was unwarranted.

Although he was heroic, pulling at least two wins out of the fire and throwing for 18 touchdowns, Jackson's completion percentage was a mediocre 54.9 on a team with only the sixth-best passing attack in the CFL.

"I'm over the hump," he says. "I've made tremendous strides. Definitely. But I still have a long way to go. I know Buck's training his butt off, doing whatever he has to do to get ready. It's [the competition] going to make us both better in the end. I'm definitely looking forward to it."

Although he signed his $200,000-a-year-deal only 10 days before CFL free-agency begins on Feb. 16, Jackson said his first loyalty was to the Lions. He gave little thought to having other teams' bid on his services.

The 30-year-old quarterback hasn't forgotten the faith shown in him after he tore a ligament on his right thumb on his first CFL snap during a 2005 pre-season game in Regina. He had to undergo surgery and made only six pass attempts all season.

"Wally [Buono] gave me an opportunity," Jackson said. "He could have cut me and sent me on my way. To me, that shows loyalty right there. Why not show some of the same loyalty back?"

END ZONE: Buono said he doesn't expect running back Joe Smith to sign with an NFL team before the window of opportunity closes on Feb. 15. Smith is going into his option year and is free to sign with an NFL team for another 10 days. "There are more good athletes at running back than any other position," Buono says. "Not to be negative about it, but there are a lot of 21-, 22-year-olds who can do what Joe does at 28 or 29." Smith turns 29 in August.

sixbeamers@aol.com
Jackson signed with the Lions, foregoing his pending free agent status. Wally showed loyalty to him, when he was injured and unproven. Jarious is repaying that loyalty, plus he believes in what the Lions organization is doing.

"Wally [Buono] gave me an opportunity," Jackson said. "He could have cut me and sent me on my way. To me, that shows loyalty right there. Why not show some of the same loyalty back?"

"I'm over the hump," he says. "I've made tremendous strides. Definitely. But I still have a long way to go. I know Buck's training his butt off, doing whatever he has to do to get ready. It's [the competition] going to make us both better in the end. I'm definitely looking forward to it."

Competition is good. That is one of the keys to the continual development of players under Buono's leadership.

It sounds like Joe Smith will not get a chance to sign with the NFL. Good news for us. Joe will no doubt get a nice raise in pay with Wally at the right time. Come on back, Joe.
Tighthead
Legend

I like Buck's skills, but I prefer the type of offence that suits JJ better.

I think Buck does best in a timing offence, with short passes. I think JJ does better in an offence that uses the run to set up some deep shots. I would also like to see JJ take off and run some more - he is a large man with wheels.

I think Wally and Chap prefer the offence that suits Buck. However, if JJ plays, I hope they make adjustments for his strengths.

Everything in my gut tells me Buck is Wally's guy, sort of like DD was. I will be shocked if he is not #1 coming out of camp.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:I like Buck's skills, but I prefer the type of offence that suits JJ better.

I think Buck does best in a timing offence, with short passes. I think JJ does better in an offence that uses the run to set up some deep shots. I would also like to see JJ take off and run some more - he is a large man with wheels.

I think Wally and Chap prefer the offence that suits Buck. However, if JJ plays, I hope they make adjustments for his strengths.

Everything in my gut tells me Buck is Wally's guy, sort of like DD was. I will be shocked if he is not #1 coming out of camp.
Good points, Tighthead.

As I said, I have no preference between these two very capable QBs. I hope they are both on top of their games all year.

I hope Wally's mind is truly open in the competition. I kind of think it is. I hope Dorazio and Chapdelaine also have open minds on the depth chart aspect of it.

If both of these guys can operate at high efficiency, it gives the Lions a great change of pace. Timing offense with Buck. The vertical game with Jarious. Both agile in the pocket, keeping plays alive, as Dorazio pointed out.

The QBs and the offense have to develop and keep a rhythm also. That means that one guy has to play more than the other. I don't recall any teams that were able to switch between QBs, back and forth, without screwing up the timing.

Buck is a quicker starter. Jarious is more durable. My hunch: Buck comes out of TC as 1. Jarious, as 1a, gets to play a lot because of the durability factor, and because of his own considerable abilities.

If Jarious is, indeed, "over the hump," as he says, then I think he might come out of TC as number 1.

Has Buck adjusted his game a bit, to protect his body, for the sake of the team? He is a bit too willing to sacrifice himself for the team. He has always played without fear. He has to learn to learn the tricks of staying healthy.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

He's sounding (JJ) so relaxed. Joking about being glad that he's saved some of his NFL $$$. That kinda thing. I'll admit it, I didn't think he'd ever be a #1 QB in this league. Perhaps this relaxed attitude while still taking this enormous responsiblity is what is getting him over that hump. All in all I hope Buck wins the job but if called upon (due to need or the fact he wins the spot), I won't be dreading seeing JJ taking his place under center.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lowell Ullrich alluded to changes being made in the Lions' offence this year to capitalize on the mobility that Pierce and Jackson offer.
But the Lions are convincing themselves what they lose with Dickenson they gain by the ability of Pierce, also locked up through 2009, and Jackson to operate a play-action set.

"Both guys give plays a lot longer capacity," said offensive coordinator Dan Dorazio. "They're also not starting from scratch."
Calgary and Saskatchewan had the most dangerous offences in the league last year (and ranked first and third overall in yardage) because they capitalized on the running ability of their quarterbacks and built in a lot of play-action. With defences already having to respect Joe Smith, B.C. is in great position to open up the passing game through increased use of play-action.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Lowell Ullrich alluded to changes being made in the Lions' offence this year to capitalize on the mobility that Pierce and Jackson offer.

Calgary and Saskatchewan had the most dangerous offences in the league last year (and ranked first and third overall in yardage) because they capitalized on the running ability of their quarterbacks and built in a lot of play-action. With defences already having to respect Joe Smith, B.C. is in great position to open up the passing game through increased use of play-action.
It's nice to finally hear words that I've been longing to hear from the Lions brain trust since the Casey Printers days.......essentially, to gameplan to utilize the mobility of their QB's

Naturally, I feel a certain level of trepidation in how much Chapdelaine will be involved and how much of those plans he will scuttle.
Lloyd
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:Lowell Ullrich alluded to changes being made in the Lions' offence this year to capitalize on the mobility that Pierce and Jackson offer.

It's nice to finally hear words that I've been longing to hear from the Lions brain trust since the Casey Printers days.......essentially, to gameplan to utilize the mobility of their QB's

Naturally, I feel a certain level of trepidation in how much Chapdelaine will be involved and how much of those plans he will scuttle.
Steven Jyles, new to the Riders, talks about throwing the deep ball and quarterback mobility - “I’m pretty excited about it because I watched their offence and I was amazed at the things that Kerry Joseph did last year. It was pretty amazing because they like to throw the deep ball and that’s me. I’m a deep-ball guy. They allowed Kerry to use his athletic ability, so I think I have something at hand for them in that area, too . . . I watched Kerry and I just loved the way he played this year. I love how the offence was created around him.’’ - From a blog by Darrel Davis and Rob Vanstone who write about the Riders

Tillman has acquired a younger quarterback in the mold of Kerry Joseph. I also like the way the Riders had KJ playing last year. Who wouldn't? He was devastating for defenses when he was on his game.

I think Jarious Jackson and Buck Pierce can use their mobility to bring another dimension to the Lions' offense. Jarious is very good at throwing the deep pass. Buck can do it too, although his arm is not quite as strong.

The deep pass and quarterback mobility: both have been under-utilized in the Lions' passing game in recent years. I hope Chapdelaine has them as key components of what he hopes to accomplish with the offense. Dorazio has spoken of the benefits of quarterback mobility, keeping plays alive.
No Ka Oi
Starter

While Buck may not have JJ's raw arm strength, he throws a very accurate deep pass as we have seen so often, with Buck leading the league in '06 in yardage per pass attempt. JJ can throw a purrfect spiral 80 yds downfield...remember that beautiful long bomb to Geroy to seal the win for the Lions last year in Regina?

Buck may be the better QB at this point for the Lions, but I feel he would be more effective at coming off the bench than Jarious would be at this point. By sitting JJ down now, it will curtail his development as a QB, perhaps permanently. JJ got better, game by game as his confidence grew. In the final 5 games of the season, he had the highest QB rating in the CFL, with a completion percentage in the high 60's. His scrambling ability has barely surfaced but could become an added weapon.

It remains to be seen how they perform in training camp, but for JJ to continue to improve he has to play...while you know Buck could probably be inserted into the game at any time and he will give the team a lift.

While the Lions can likely win with either QB, Jarius will become more effective the more he plays...but he will perhaps become less effective the less he plays. And despite struggling early last season, JJ still managed to eke out 9 wins in 11 starts, which is hard to overlook.

But I'm about the biggest Buck backer there is, so my support of Jarius being the starter is a true testament on how I feel about JJ's prospects at becoming a great CFL QB.