Austin Gone

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

#1 Lions Fan in SK
Starter

Just heard on the news that it has been rumoured that Kent Austin has accepted an offer at Ole' Mississippi. Maybe this will finally be Richie Hall's chance.
joesports
All Star

Wow.....it was in the Sun today that Tillman was prepared to offer Austin a big raise. Maybe it wasn't enough. 8)
jkraftchick
prospect

Anyone else can say what they want about Wally Buono, but you wouldn't catch Wally using his CFL team as a stepping stone to go south of the border. Who else is excited for the inevitable Kent Austin return to the CFL in 5-10 years with him being hailed as the saviour of The 'Riders a la Joe Gibbs in Washington? Am I the only one that sees this coming?
Rammer
Team Captain

This rumour will be confirmed today, and as I understand it a OC position pays about $250K US for Austin, something that he must be viewing as a stepping stone to bigger things, as I am sure that he would receive similar coin in the CFL and eventually bigger as a GM/HC.

I hope that he continues to reflect upon the CFL admirably as Flutie and Joe Horn have done among others. :yes: Much success in your new career Mr. Austin, it will provide new challenges for you.
Entertainment value = an all time low
hwgill
Legend

Does this mean that the Riders are going to be toast to repeat in 08?

I hope so!
" ... a team not being prepared to play is the head coach’s responsibility.” - Jim Barker
SammyGreene
Team Captain

This is a tough loss for the Riders as Austin was not only a great coach but instilled a whole new attitude that produced the ultimate result.

Austin was the Dickenson of his playing era. Not a gifted athlete but no QB could read coverage better. I recall watching a recent show on the ’94 WF where Danny Mac credited Austin for putting together much of the offensive game plan that beat the Stamps that day.

The CFL has lost one of it's top young coaches.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Could Pissant be far behind????
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Good for Austin, bad for the Riders and their fans.

I wish I could say that I feel sorry for them but maybe now they will have an appreciation for the other side of the coin that success brings. That is, losing folks because of the higher profile. I am a little surprised at Austin (not a lot, but a little). I would have thought that this would have been a bit more angst provoking than it appears to have been. The return to your old playing stomping grounds, the success in winning the Grey Cup in season 1. The whole thing about loyalty to the team the province, the fans. It doesn't really appear that this was a very tough decision for him. Of course, appearances can be deceiving but leaving after just one season after the whole love-in. I guess if I were a Rider fan, I would be feeling a bit choked at the sudden departure.

So, any thoughts on who a credible replacement might be?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Good for Austin, bad for the Riders and their fans.

I wish I could say that I feel sorry for them but maybe now they will have an appreciation for the other side of the coin that success brings. That is, losing folks because of the higher profile. I am a little surprised at Austin (not a lot, but a little). I would have thought that this would have been a bit more angst provoking than it appears to have been. The return to your old playing stomping grounds, the success in winning the Grey Cup in season 1. The whole thing about loyalty to the team the province, the fans. It doesn't really appear that this was a very tough decision for him. Of course, appearances can be deceiving but leaving after just one season after the whole love-in. I guess if I were a Rider fan, I would be feeling a bit choked at the sudden departure.

Come on Pissant......you and Mr. Paopao go waaaaaaaaay back. Sign him!!
wildthing
All Star

Lion Guy wrote:

Pretty sure after the whole Ottawa incident Tillman and Paopao aren't very friendly.

As a Rider fan it sucks to see a great young coach go, but he is deserving and will be a great ambassador of the CFL in the NCAA coaching ranks. Replacements - I suspect either R Hall or D Ritchie are top candidates
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

wildthing wrote:
Lion Guy wrote:

Pretty sure after the whole Ottawa incident Tillman and Paopao aren't very friendly.

As a Rider fan it sucks to see a great young coach go, but he is deserving and will be a great ambassador of the CFL in the NCAA coaching ranks. Replacements - I suspect either R Hall or D Ritchie are top candidates
Pretty sure I knew that.
Blitz
Team Captain

Anyone else can say what they want about Wally Buono, but you wouldn't catch Wally using his CFL team as a stepping stone to go south of the border. Who else is excited for the inevitable Kent Austin return to the CFL in 5-10 years with him being hailed as the saviour of The 'Riders a la Joe Gibbs in Washington? Am I the only one that sees this coming?

Teams south of the border have less interest in Wally, since all his playing and coaching has been in Canada. That's not taking anything away from him...just the way it is..and I doubt Wally was ever interested in going south.

If Austin leaves it will provide an opportunity for someone like Hall but it will be a tough situation for anyone to go in there and follow Austin, after his winning a Grey Cup in his first season in Regina.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
MacNews
Team Captain

Wow losing your coach after he guides you to the Grey Cup in his rookie year is the...worst-worst-worst case scenario!

That will be a challenge for Tillman to start from scratch again.
No Ka Oi
Starter

Good for Austin and good for the Riders? What did the Argos know when they fired him as OC in mid-season?? Before last season his stock was pretty low, so this is a good move for him personally. Who knows if he could of gotten his players to cohese again like last year's magical season? His act might of warn thin and his volatile temperment is well known. Hope he can keep from popping a valve trying to explain his CFL offence to a 17 yr. old freshman. :wink:
Big Time
Champion

Sir Purrcival wrote:So, any thoughts on who a credible replacement might be?
For entertainment purposes alone I am SOOOO hoping they bring back Danny Barrett. Has there ever been a more arrogant coach who accomplished as little as Danny Barrett? Despite the numerous third place finishes and playoff chokes, he's still their all time winningest coach.

If anything, Danny Barrett was a first class innovator when it came to finding ways to lose. Remember when they needed to not lose to the Eskimos by more than 24 points at home to clinch a home playoff game? They lost by 25 after allowing something like 16 unanswered points in the fourth quarter. They could have still clinched a home playoff game the following week but wound up by getting beat on the last play of the game against the Lions when Spurgeon Wynn of all people marched the team down the field for a last second TD to Simon. Let's not forget Buck Pierce's 4th quarter comeback win in Regina a few years ago. And who could forget the 2004 WDF? Danny Barrett also once coached a Rider game where they lost 28-22 after giving up FOUR intentional safeties LMAO!!! :lol:

God I miss those Danny Barrett days. I hope for everyone's sake Danny makes his triumphant return next year for the Riders. :cr: