Shivers Signs with the Lions as Player Personnel Director

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Sunday January 13 » 2008

Shivers back with Buono

Player personnel director: returns to work with ex-colleague

Lowell Ullrich The Province

Sunday, January 13, 2008

There have been countless times, Roy Shivers said, when he always knew he was in the right business.

"I'd get calls at home every day from people saying, 'I got a guy for you'," he recalled recently.

That was fine during the 23 years in which he worked as a talent scout with a long list of contacts. But the calls were a little impractical the last 18 months since he has been out of football upon being fired as general manager of the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

A series of missteps on the part of some of his players plus a string of regular-season failures had left the public image of Shivers on the prairies lower than that of Brittany Spears.

But the phone and the practice field were always where Shivers worked best, toothpick lodged in one side of his mouth, standing away from the crowd evaluating players.

And just as he did for the Lions in 1983 when he embarked on his pro scouting career, the CFL team is the beneficiary once again.

There are still a few minor details on a two-year contract to work out, but head coach Wally Buono admitted Shivers already is at work as the club's new director of player personnel, a logical fit when Bob O'Billovich departed to become general manager of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and left the Lions to fill arguably their greatest need.

It's essentially the same job Shivers held for just over six seasons with the Riders, minus the headache of re-signing free agents. Just as O'Billovich was based away from the Lions, Shivers will operate out of his home in the Las Vegas suburb of Henderson, Nev.

It means you'll rarely see him on the sidelines of a CFL game this year. If he holds to form, however, you will know about his players, presumably for all the right reasons.

Shivers walked a different path at times, and his firing by the Riders in 2006 saddled him partially with a reputation of signing some players who were not always model citizens.

He may not have been the person who was convicted last year on two counts of aggravated sexual assault in 2005 with a Surrey woman. It was one of his signings, linebacker Trevis Smith, but a reputation grew.

It was the same thing when Shivers steadfastly insisted running back Kenton Keith should stay on the roster as he faced charges connected with a 2006 Regina nightclub incident. The charges were later dropped.

And it was no different when Shivers hired Danny Barrett as his Saskatchewan coach in 2000 and stood proudly when asked if he was making a racial statement on behalf of fellow African-Americans with his hire.

"With Roy, you always know what you're going to get," Buono said.

Yet despite being at an age in life when football becomes gradually less appealing, the 65-year-old Shivers said he never totally walked away.

"I was a little bummed out with the travel. I got tired of planes and it was taking so long getting back and forth to Regina," he said. "But the time away has been real good for me. The competitive juices get going."

Buono, who never seriously entertained others interested in the job, like Lions regional scout Richard Wade, said he isn't the slightest bit concerned the team may suddenly now have to start running increased background checks.

It is, of course, because Shivers' list of finds for three CFL teams is staggering. During his incarnation as personnel director with the Lions it was Mervyn Fernandez. Allen Pitts and Kelvin Anderson starred with the Calgary Stampeders. Same for Reggie Hunt and Matt Dominguez for the Riders.

"When I was recruiting in college, I'd know who was the best guy. I'd do my homework. I'd ask coaches 'who is close to making your team'? I've tried to take the guys with a lot of physical attributes. It's all about speed and guys who have a passion for the game. You can tell those guys," Shivers explained.

But how he actually finds players only matters about as much as what Buono does with them once they arrive at training camp. The rule Shivers had with Buono in Calgary during the 1990s is the same one the coach had with O'Billovich until he left the Lions.

"[Buono] always said 'you get 'em, and I'll play 'em,' " Shivers said. Eighteen months removed from the game but apparently never far away, he is back in the right business. The calls to home have much more meaning again.

lullrich@png.canwest.com
Last edited by WestCoastJoe on Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Not many personnel guys can be considered to be in Bob O'Billovich's class, when you look at their track records. Roy Shivers is one of them.

The Lions will continue to be well-served in finding talent.

Things did not pan out for Shivers, as he would have hoped, in Regina. I am glad he is getting this opportunity with the Lions.
lion24
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:Not many personnel guys can be considered to be in Bob O'Billovich's class, when you look at their track records. Roy Shivers is one of them.

The Lions will continue to be well-served in finding talent.

Things did not pan out for Shivers, as he would have hoped, in Regina. I am glad he is getting this opportunity with the Lions.
The guy is definitely a bit of a "loose wire", but his track record of finding players is proven. So as long as he keeps finding them I would be willing to deal with the quirks. Although, it seems like he will not be seeing Shivers much anyway as he will be behind the scenes. As much as Tillman and Austin get the credit for the Riders Cup it cannot be argued that Shivers and Barrett helped a great deal with developing that team.
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

The Renegades disperal draft helped a great deal more with developing that team.
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:The Renegades disperal draft helped a great deal more with developing that team.
Agreed. Both teams that benefited the most from the death of the Renegades went to the Grey Cup game last year.

Guess you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.
Rammer
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote:
West Coast Blue Fan wrote:The Renegades disperal draft helped a great deal more with developing that team.
Agreed. Both teams that benefited the most from the death of the Renegades went to the Grey Cup game last year.

Guess you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.
Lions also, but you could have said just about any team that was in the GC was going to go in with Renegade help other than Edmonton and Hamilton and look where they ended up.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Roy Shivers will be a definite asset to the Lions organization.
ilovetheriders
Starter

Roy is great at bringing talent in, good move. If it wasn't for Roy The Riders would have never won The Grey Cup.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Roy in town Monday to be officially introduced to the media.

As heard in an interview with Jim Mullin on NW noon hour sports.
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Roy in town Monday to be officially introduced to the media.

Now wouldn't it have been interesting to still have Carl Kidd around for this season.....at least in TC. 8)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

SHIVERS NAMED LIONS’ DIRECTOR OF PLAYER PERSONNEL

Monday, January 28, 2008

Vancouver (CFL.ca) - The BC Lions Football Club has officially named Roy Shivers as the club’s director of player personnel for the 2008 season.

Over a career in professional football spanning more than 25 years, Shivers has served in executive roles with three CFL teams (BC, Calgary, Saskatchewan). Entering the CFL in 1983 as an assistant coach for the Lions, Shivers was promoted to director, player personnel after just two full seasons with the club.

Over the next seven seasons (1983-89), Shivers’ ability to deliver exciting and talented players to the Lions lineup would be a driving force in the organization’s run of six West Division Finals and three Grey Cup appearances – including the club’s 1985 championship run.

Shivers would depart the Lions den for the Calgary Stampeders (1990), followed by a brief stint with the short-lived expansion Birmingham Barracudas (1995). Most recently, Shivers served as GM and director, football operations for the Saskatchewan Roughriders until the conclusion of the 2006 season.

“Roy is a well-established and highly respected individual with a keen eye for CFL talent,” said Lions GM and head coach, Wally Buono. “I am pleased to have him join our organization and I believe our fans will be excited with the players he will be bringing our way.”
We saw this delayed announcement coming. I've got no problems seeing Roy working with Wally again. Roy's success as a CFL scout puts him in the Bob O'Billovich range.
joesports
All Star

Rammer wrote:
SammyGreene wrote:Roy in town Monday to be officially introduced to the media.

Now wouldn't it have been interesting to still have Carl Kidd around for this season.....at least in TC. 8)
That would have been great! :lol: Kidd was always good for a great quote.
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
SHIVERS NAMED LIONS’ DIRECTOR OF PLAYER PERSONNEL

Monday, January 28, 2008

Vancouver (CFL.ca) - The BC Lions Football Club has officially named Roy Shivers as the club’s director of player personnel for the 2008 season.

Over a career in professional football spanning more than 25 years, Shivers has served in executive roles with three CFL teams (BC, Calgary, Saskatchewan). Entering the CFL in 1983 as an assistant coach for the Lions, Shivers was promoted to director, player personnel after just two full seasons with the club.

Over the next seven seasons (1983-89), Shivers’ ability to deliver exciting and talented players to the Lions lineup would be a driving force in the organization’s run of six West Division Finals and three Grey Cup appearances – including the club’s 1985 championship run.

Shivers would depart the Lions den for the Calgary Stampeders (1990), followed by a brief stint with the short-lived expansion Birmingham Barracudas (1995). Most recently, Shivers served as GM and director, football operations for the Saskatchewan Roughriders until the conclusion of the 2006 season.

“Roy is a well-established and highly respected individual with a keen eye for CFL talent,” said Lions GM and head coach, Wally Buono. “I am pleased to have him join our organization and I believe our fans will be excited with the players he will be bringing our way.”
We saw this delayed announcement coming. I've got no problems seeing Roy working with Wally again. Roy's success as a CFL scout puts him in the Bob O'Billovich range.
Prior to O'Bie's run with the Lions, I would have placed well above O'Billovich's category, but his success with the Lions was remarkable, need a hole filled and he would stuff it with a diamond.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Quite possibly the worst kept secret in years. If Roy can find even half the guys he's been able to find in the past, we'll be in great shape. This really lessens the blow of losing Obie a lot.