Why Is Chapdelaine Returning As Recievers Coach??

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Lowell Ullriich wrote that Chapdelaine is returning to our Leos as our receivers coach with Dorazio becoming the sole offensive coordinator. Wally was quoted, at the end of the season, when asked about Chapdelaine returning to our Leos..that "we had no coaching vacancies" A month later Wally had apparently had a change of heart saying that some of our Leos players "would be happy to see Chapdelaine return".

My views of Chapdelaine's offensive philosophy and structure are well known on this site. I understand that Wally is brining Chapdelaine back because our receivers like his pass oriented offensive philosophy and enjoyed success with it. Geroy had an MOP season with Chapdelaine as our offensive coordinator.

My question is why do you think Chapdelaine is returning as our receivers coach? The reasons for asking the question are

1. Chapdelaine had a two year contract with Edmonton and would be paid more this season if he sat the year out. He could watch his son play football in Edmonton..one of the reasons he said he left.
2. Chapdelaine could have waited to see if he would be hired by Montreal as their offensive coordinator. I would guess that he would know that Hamilton would not be interested due to the previous poor relationship Chapdelaine created with Casey Printers.
3. He also could have waited to see if an offensive coordinator position opened up during the season with a potential firing.
4. Last season he was the Associate Head Coach in Edmonton as well as the offensive coordinator in Edmonton. He was the offensive coordinator here with our Leos before he left. Why would he return to a position as receivers coach with is obviously a demotion from his previous two positions?
5. Why does he want to return to B.C. when he stated last year he was unhappy with his role in some of the decision making that was occurring with our Leos in 2006 and his future here? Now he becomes Dorazio's assistant coach, a role reversal from his previous time here.

It's an interesting question!!! :? :? :? :?
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Tighthead
Legend

Blitz - with regard to the year left on his contract, I would assume he received a buyout.
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

Receivers coach in title only. Wally will saddle Edmonton down with the balance of Chappy's salary, which counts against the Eskimos cap. It could save the Lions 100k, and create a 200k competitive difference between BC and the Esks.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
Ravi
Legend

Chapdelaine is returning to B.C. because he has no other viable options. If the Als were interested in him, I think that he would have been signed, sealed and delivered by now but it looks like Montreal will go with Scott Milanovich as offensive co-ordinator.
Blitz
Team Captain

Receivers coach in title only. Wally will saddle Edmonton down with the balance of Chappy's salary, which counts against the Eskimos cap. It could save the Lions 100k, and create a 200k competitive difference between BC and the Esks.

If we save $50,000 on Baresi's salary we'd still have to pay Chapdelaine's salary as a receivers coach with the difference between his previous salary in Edmonton and his new salary in B.C. being picked up by Edmonton.

Edmonton saves money that way and B.C. will still have to pay Chapdelaine a receivers coach salary. To me it's a washout at best!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Jacques may be facing a new reality for himself. Coaching in Wally's system, with Wally's players, makes a lot of other people look pretty good. When people leave the safety of Wally's world, things are not so rosy.

For Jacques, returning to the Lions is a chance to resurrect his career, which took some near fatal blows when he jumped off the Lions ship. The developments in Edmonton were about as bad for Chapdelaine's career as could be imagined.

As has been noted, the financial details can be worked out between B.C. and Edmonton. It can benefit both teams.

Why would B.C. take Chapdelaine back? Wally obviously believes in Jacques. The Lions receivers seem to like his style. For me, the big concern is: can Jacques subordinate himself to Dan Dorazio, and not undermine him? Jacques quite neatly greased the skids for Steve Buratto a few years ago. On the other hand, Dan Dorazio has an even better, longer lasting working relationship with Wally Buono than Chapdelaine. And I expect Wally ran the idea of hiring Jacques past Dorazio before making it happen. It will be interesting. Can Jacques have learned a lesson in humility from his experience in Edmonton?

Next ... the return of Roy Shivers?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Jim Mullin wrote:Receivers coach in title only.
Care to enlighten us what else Chapdelaine will be doing ?
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
He'll be the OC, just as he was when Buratto was the "OC" in 2004, IMO.
Tighthead
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Annoying the bejeepers out of Blitz?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

With Dorazio on the sidelines at games as OC, calling the plays, who will be spotting in the booth upstairs?

Based on continuity, and having worked with Dorazio this year, it would be Kruck, a reversal of their roles at games this year.

I expect Jacques very much wants to be that guy. Perhaps Dorazio has liked working with Jacques in the past, who knows.

If Jacques is the spotter, will he be able to work smoothly and effectively with Dorazio? Of course, it would seem that they will have much different preferences: Dorazio valuing and favouring the running game, Chapdelaine going to the pass almost exclusively.

Also, will Jacques use the loyalty of his receivers to undermine their regard for Dorazio as OC? If it seems to the receivers that Dorazio does not throw the ball enough, it would be easy enough for Jacques to let their unhappiness lead to some discontent.

It is a bit dicey. Wally knows better than almost anybody that nothing comes easy in a football season. We will see ...
Jim Mullin
Team Captain

Blitz wrote:

If we save $50,000 on Baresi's salary we'd still have to pay Chapdelaine's salary as a receivers coach with the difference between his previous salary in Edmonton and his new salary in B.C. being picked up by Edmonton.

Edmonton saves money that way and B.C. will still have to pay Chapdelaine a receivers coach salary. To me it's a washout at best!
The Eskimos are on the hook for the difference between what the Lions will pay for him, and what was remaining on the year of his contract.
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Hey Jim, love the new avatar :)
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

In terms of contract law, a case could be made for having Chapdelaine work as a volunteer coach with the Lions. Baresi did it a couple of years ago.

With Chapdelaine volunteering, the Eskimos could continue to pay his OC salary.

I mention this as a devil's advocate, and also to get in a dig at the Eskimos, just because they continue to be the Evil Empire.

Such an arrangement would be anything but a Gentleman's Agreement, and, I expect the league would not countenance it, whatever a court might say.
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Jim Mullin wrote:
Receivers coach in title only.

Annoying the bejeepers out of Blitz?
Oh...I'm annoyed!!! :lol: :lol:
If Jacques is the spotter, will he be able to work smoothly and effectively with Dorazio? Of course, it would seem that they will have much different preferences: Dorazio valuing and favouring the running game, Chapdelaine going to the pass almost exclusively.
I hope the Leos use Kruck to spot and Dorazio to call the plays. Chap spotted from the booth for most of 2004 and the problems paritally came because Burratto wasn't running the plays Chapdelaine was 'expecting' Burratto to run based upon his information. Chapdelaine also was upset he wasn't getting enough credit. Of course, when Chap went down to the sidelines to call the plays and Burratto got the boot upstairs towards the end of the 2004 season our offence began it's struggles.

Better to have Kruck in the booth and Chapdelaine relaying down and distance to Dorazio with Chap being down on the sidelines. Perhaps Chapdelaine could just signal down and distance to Dorazio...that would give him the opportunity to practice his signals!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
lion24
Legend

Does anyone else get the idea that a decision to bring back Chapdelaine could backfire and turn into a war of egos!! :sigh: and more of a distraction and hinderance to the Lions than any sort of help??
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP