Dickenson's first choice is BC - CKNW

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Jim Mullin
Team Captain

Dave Dickenson is not ready to call it a career yet as the veteran quarterback told CKNW in Vancouver Thursday that his agent will begin calling CFL teams next week to see what offers may come his way.

Dickenson also told the radio station that his first call will be to the B.C. Lions who cut him in November, to see if they have any interest in his return.

"We told Wally (Buono) to go have a vacation and figure out where the club is going. If he feels like I can help, the door is open on my end and we'll talk," Dickenson told CKNW.

Due to concussions, the CFL's most outstanding player in 2000 was limited to only five games this past season; however he believes that his history with the Lions and Buono would make his return to B.C. a smooth one.

"The one thing I really think that I have working for me is that they understand that I'm a team player and that I'm only out for one thing and that's to win games."

If the Lions are not interested in his services then Dickenson has told his agent to actively seek another offer. Although he stated that he has no preference where he plays he would like to be able to stay in one spot for the entire season.

"I still think I can play and I'm hoping to continue on, but I also understand that you can't be a nomad and that you've got to have a home and you've got to be wanted. Ultimately I realize that I have a family which is priority number one and as long as they are on board, I'll keep going."
Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
Lions_Fan_4_Life
Legend

Personally, I want him to move on and not play for us..
"I hope he enjoys Stornoway and I hope he's happy there for a long time"

-Prime Minister Harper on new Liberal Leader St?phane Dion
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

As a backup/coach...getting "that" kind of money, I wouldn't mind if he returned in a third string/coaching capacity.
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Don Miller
Legend

I would like to see Dave back as our offensive coach/player if need be.. I don't want to see reps taken away from Buck or Jarious. DD is one more hit away from retirement and maybe he needs to talk to Matt Dunigan a little more.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
Tighthead
Legend

I like Dave, but Wally seems to make iffy decisions when he is in the mix. I think a clean break would be good.
David
Team Captain

I admire Dave's courage and tenacity, and owe him a debt of gratitude for helping put this franchise back on the map, but it's time to cut the chord. Let Buck and Jarious fight it out for starter's position and let Gino develop as our #3 (and bring in a 4th QB for the practice roster).

Dave is a hell of a temptation as an insurance policy but we need to free up salary. And Dave likely won't play for, nor be happy with a 3rd string salary and rank. He's too competitive and has too big an ego. That's not a criticism - most elite athletes do.

If he is willing to come back as a quarterbacks coach or an assistant to Dan Dorazio, I would be open to that scenario. But I just don't think he's interested. His first priority is to play football.

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

It's time to go with the younger guys, without the large shadow of Dave D looming over them and tempting Wally, if they mess up.

Let Jarious and Buck battle it out for numbers 1 and 1A, and bring Gino along as our number 3.

Dave would still deserve significant money in the CFL as a backup. I don't think the Lions have that cap room available.

Like most observers, I think Dave would be a natural as a coach. However, he has not expressed any interest in such a career. Would he really want to earn that low pay, for the extremely long hours, stress, and lack of recognition assistant coaches get? I have some doubts.

Whatever comes along for Dave, I wish him well, and thank him for his contributions:

* helping to change the culture of a then-poor organization, and

* helping to set the standard of excellence the Lions now demonstrate.
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:I admire Dave's courage and tenacity, and owe him a debt of gratitude for helping put this franchise back on the map, but it's time to cut the chord. Let Buck and Jarious fight it out for starter's position and let Gino develop as our #3 (and bring in a 4th QB for the practice roster).

Dave is a hell of a temptation as an insurance policy but we need to free up salary. And Dave likely won't play for, nor be happy with a 3rd string salary and rank. He's too competitive and has too big an ego. That's not a criticism - most elite athletes do.

If he is willing to come back as a quarterbacks coach or an assistant to Dan Dorazio, I would be open to that scenario. But I just don't think he's interested. His first priority is to play football.

DH 8)
That is the hard truth, but it will still be difficult seeing him in an opposition uniform at BC Place, very difficult.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Seeing Dave Dickenson return to the Lions in a coaching capacity would be a sentimental preference, but one that's probably not feasible right now as he's made it clear he still wants to continue playing. Also, if he does return as a coach and the team doesn't do well, his good reputation may be tarnished. Remember Joe Kapp? No doubt the first great QB the team had, but when he returned as a general manager in 1990..... :roll: :no: :sigh: .....fired after 11 games.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Joe Kapp's first and biggest mistake was hiring his old pal Larry Kuharich.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

With all due respect, without Joe Kapp, Doug Flutie probably wouldn't have arrived in town.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Flutie did not come to Vancouver because of Joe Kapp.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

If it wasn't Joe Kapp who urged Doug Flutie to come out of retirement and try out for the BC Lions, then who did? I don't think Flutie decided to come to Vancouver and the CFL on his own.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The good old days of Pezim, Kapp and Kuharich ...

Like Moe, Larry and Curly ... or maybe the Keystone Cops ...

The best thing, only thing?, they did was bring in Flutie ... and couldn't keep him.

Joe Kapp was King of this city at one time. He sure ruined his reputation when he came back to the Lions.

I always rooted for the guy. He made some bad moves. After going to the NFL with the Vikings, he was Big Time in the NFL too. Then he held out against the standard league contract. Very bad move. After a dismal bit of time with the Patriots, career over. He had some success coaching with U Cal, especially "The Play." Later, he was rather pathetic as a huckster doing motivational work shops. He could have had all the glory ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Kapp_SI.JPG
Rammer
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:The good old days of Pezim, Kapp and Kuharich ...

Like Moe, Larry and Curly ... or maybe the Keystone Cops ...

The best thing, only thing?, they did was bring in Flutie ... and couldn't keep him.

Joe Kapp was King of this city at one time. He sure ruined his reputation when he came back to the Lions.

I always rooted for the guy. He made some bad moves. After going to the NFL with the Vikings, he was Big Time in the NFL too. Then he held out against the standard league contract. Very bad move. After a dismal bit of time with the Patriots, career over. He had some success coaching with U Cal, especially "The Play." Later, he was rather pathetic as a huckster doing motivational work shops. He could have had all the glory ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Kapp_SI.JPG
You are not a fan of Brigette Neilson I see....:lol:

Agreed with the Pezim era, the opening game "circus" act displayed was a cheap mans version of Vince McMann's XFL dream. What had my Lions done, sold their soul to the devil? Yet even out of that smoke and mirror show, we had the best player the CFL has ever seen in Flutie ignite a pathetic team to respectability, then watch him make Calgary the team of the 90's.
Entertainment value = an all time low