Korey Banks tries the NFL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Korey Banks was one of several prominent CFL players who worked out on Monday with the Minnesota Vikings. CFL players entering their option years are free to work out with NFL teams, and can sign NFL contracts between Jan. 1 and Feb. 15. Banks will be 28 next year, so he's still young enough to get a shot in the NFL.
Link
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Few players going to the NFL are getting much in the way of guaranteed money.

I'm not saying he isn't good enough, but each year a half dozen CFL stars go down and become TC fodder. Unless they see some upfront money, it's becoming more of risk for them.

How many CFL FA's made NFL teams last year? The number is going down each season.

Also no NFLE this year means more players available.
lion24
Legend

To me I would think Banks is undersized for an NFL DB but I wish him luck :thup:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

What are the financial arrangements for working out in this manner?

Is it just transport, etc.? Or do they get some money for trying out?

Banks is a good cover guy, but he is a bit light weight and old, 28, to make it to the NFL now, IMHO.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:ABanks will be 28 next year, so he's still young enough to get a shot in the NFL.
Link
Yeah 28 isn't really young for the position at which he plays.

I mean, good luck to him, but....
Tighthead
Legend

I was surprised Kenton Keith and Chris Wilson caught on, so I won't be shocked if Banks does. He will have to prove himself as a nickel back and special teamer to stick. The problem is, teams like to break in younger guys in that role until they are ready to start. Banks is a tad old for that route.
Rammer
Team Captain

Tighthead wrote:I was surprised Kenton Keith and Chris Wilson caught on, so I won't be shocked if Banks does. He will have to prove himself as a nickel back and special teamer to stick. The problem is, teams like to break in younger guys in that role until they are ready to start. Banks is a tad old for that route.
Both players that did catch on are years younger with just enough pro experience that they can be taught still, whereas Banks is too old to be project.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Were there any other CFL players besides Keith and Wilson that made NFL teams?

It was Keiths's 2nd or 3rd shot and IIRC he did get some signing bonus money.

What happened with Wilson in that regard?

IMHO, that is really the telling factor whether NFL teams really expect a player to make their team.

Banks is good enough if he signs with the right team and they don't make any high draft picks at the same position.

It's somewhat of a crapshoot for CFL guys. Some NFL teams seem to take a serious look and others don't.
lion24
Legend

I don't know about anyone else but I thought Banks had a bit of an off year this season? I think he should stay here and work on his game and then mabey try out for the NFL later :wink: :wink:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
notahomer
Hall of Famer

lion24 wrote:I don't know about anyone else but I thought Banks had a bit of an off year this season?
I think he was a little bit off too. Maybe in part due to focus but I think the fact other players were getting the picks. Banks wants to be the team leader in picks and he wasn't close this year. Wanting to be leader is what you want from the player but if that desire is costing your team, tone it down.
sports & stuff----ric
Champion

i think the lions wouldnt be to dissapointed if he caught on down there as itb would free up his big salary for a younger/cheaper DB.

he can be replaced! i believe he makes alot of $$
No Ka Oi
Starter

Let's see. Korey's too small, too old, too light, not fast enough, overpaid, and had a off year. All the same, he is still one of the best db's in the league and all 7 others teams would sign him in a minute, if the Lions think he's replaceable.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

No Ka Oi wrote:Let's see. Korey's too small, too old, too light, not fast enough, overpaid, and had a off year. All the same, he is still one of the best db's in the league and all 7 others teams would sign him in a minute, if the Lions think he's replaceable.
I don't want to see him go elsewhere (NFL or CFL). I'm just saying he had a bit of an off year. For him it wasn't a great year (IMHO) but I'm not saying he needs to be shown the door. I think the fact he wasn't top dog will motivate him to be that much better next year, I just don't want to see him taking chances to get stats.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

No Ka Oi wrote:Let's see. Korey's too small, too old, too light, not fast enough, overpaid, and had a off year. All the same, he is still one of the best db's in the league and all 7 others teams would sign him in a minute, if the Lions think he's replaceable.
If you can't appreciate an objective evaluation of a player's NFL suitability versus their CFL performance, the problem is yours.

Not ours.
Tighthead
Legend

I think Banks started well last season, then his play really dropped off in the fall. He had a shocker or two where teams seemed to pick on him. Maybe he was hurt or lost focus, but he is a better player than he showed in the second half of the year.