RIP Evel Kneivel :(

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Soundy
Hall of Famer

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

RIP, Evel Knievel.

Interesting character. When he was young and wild, rather than middle-aged and wild, he was thrown into a drunk tank for some fight he got into in a bar. In his cell with him was a self-named never-do-well called Awful Knoffle. That was Evel's inspiration for the professional name he gave himself.

I will miss him. He was unique. The number of broken bones he suffered in his stunts was phenomenal. To have lived to 69 was pure bonus time for Evel.

RIP, Evel. You earned it.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

In addition to the broken bones, I'm pretty sure that the dude's liver looked like an old catcher's mitt by now. He packed an awful lot of living into his 69 years. As a little kid, I was absolutely captivated by the attempted Snake River Canyon jump -- my little buddies and I thought this guy was God himself...
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."
Bosco
Team Captain

I remember the hype and excitement surrounding the Snake River Canyon jump in 1974. At the time, Knievel was one of the most recognized athletes / performers in the world.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

I remember Jim Rome asking him in an interview recently, "Why would you do all this stuff?" Kneivel's answer: "Do you know who the hell I AM?"

I think that sums it up nicely :)
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Frankly I'm surprised he lived this long given the risks he took.