What is your most prized Lions item or collectible?

Got em, Need em, Find em, Get em!

Moderator: Team Captains

lion24
Legend

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
lion24 wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:
I acquired the football a number of years ago from the owner of Wise Guys bar in Winnipeg. He was on a saturday afternoon sports talk show called "Headline Sports"on the local CTV channel. At the end of the show with the credits running, the camera zoomed in on that ball.

The following monday, I gave the guy a call and he agreed to sell me the ball for a $200 donation to Big Brothers in Wise Guys' name.

Best money I ever spent.

He assured me that the ball was "game used", but he had no other info regarding when in the game.
I guess there is something on your leg that is a meaningful or prized possession as well Lloyd?? :wink:
I consider my BC Lion tattoo a part of me.........thus, not really a possession. :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:
Yes, I guess it is not something you could really sell or trade eh??!! :lol: :lol:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
West Coast Blue Fan
Legend

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Robbie wrote:Hey Shi Zi Mi, was that football used in the game? If it was, for which plays?
I acquired the football a number of years ago from the owner of Wise Guys bar in Winnipeg. He was on a saturday afternoon sports talk show called "Headline Sports"on the local CTV channel. At the end of the show with the credits running, the camera zoomed in on that ball.

The following monday, I gave the guy a call and he agreed to sell me the ball for a $200 donation to Big Brothers in Wise Guys' name.

Best money I ever spent.

He assured me that the ball was "game used", but he had no other info regarding when in the game.
That was Bob Sokolski....I used to work there back in the day.
If Bob said it was game used, you can guarantee it was....pretty straight shooter.

Nice pick up. :thup:
I'd love you to say it to my face because you'd only say it once...if you ever had the courage to say it at all!! Blitz, 05/24/2008
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Aside from the poster, the personalized, autographed picture that I received from Lui Passaglia the IGA store as described in this thread:

http://www.lionbackers.com/cheer/viewtopic.php?t=5774
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

West Coast Blue Fan wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Robbie wrote:Hey Shi Zi Mi, was that football used in the game? If it was, for which plays?

Best money I ever spent.

That was Bob Sokolski....I used to work there back in the day.
If Bob said it was game used, you can guarantee it was....pretty straight shooter.

Nice pick up. :thup:
Sokolski sounds about right........thanks for confirming.
Lloyd
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:Haven't found an artist who would do it. If anyone know of any artist who makes coffee tables out of drift wood and a big logo of the Lions, let me know.
To offer another option I did up a collage of roughly 170 ticket stubs I had mostly from Lion and Canuck games I'd been to from the early 70s through to the early 90s. Also had stubs from a smattering of games from other leagues and cities across North America. Turned out real nice when framed with a nice orange hint thanks to the heavy percentage of Leo ducats.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I'm not a hard core collector like that damned pompierman who keeps overbidding me ;-) but I have Bobby Singh's helmet from 2005 (thanks BB), Johnny Scott and Ty Chatman game worn jerseys from 1996 and 1994. I recently acquired 225+ Lion game programs from Vic covering many games from the 80s and 90s to complement the collection I already had. I've added a few other programs from earlier games (60s) along the way.

Grey Cup is a bit special for me. I have all programs and tickets from the 24 I've attended since 1983. Once my silver anniversary game in Toronto is added I plan to get the 25 tickets laid out and framed surrounding a picture of yours truly holding the Cup. That will probably be my most cherished item. I also value my replica classic #24 Merv Fernandez jersey with a name bar "Grey Cup Tour 1983 - Today". It will be proudly worn daily again in Hogtown in a couple of weeks.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
woody
Champion

For me its my Geroy bobble Head!
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

:lol: Right on!
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Excellent picture, Woody!

Now, the question begs asking: who got the bobblehead for you as I believe you are over 12 years old.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
woody
Champion

Robbie wrote:Excellent picture, Woody!

Now, the question begs asking: who got the bobblehead for you as I believe you are over 12 years old.
I waited in bushes till i saw a kid walk by with a bobble head,peppered sprayed the parents then I ........
just kidding :lol:

My brother got it for me for my birthday.he went with his friend who had a couple of extra kids :yes:
Dan
Rookie

For me it's my autographed 2006 game worn Barron Miles helmet and
my autographed game worn Mark Washington jersey, got both at last years locker room sale.
OV - 54:40
Champion

94 GC Champions cap - same style as the Stanley Cup Champs made for the Rangers (when they beat a certain team) that season; also an old style Lions logo pin (cougar with his paw on the football) + the 95 season media guide.
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

Oh, man, there's several:

-Home black Geroy Simon jersey that I got in 2004 and I got signed at the 2005 Fan Fest. Worn it to every game I've gone to since I got it. I would like to get a Floyd jersey this year, but the signed #81 will always be my baby.
-BC Lions 1994 Team of Destiny video (got it at the 1995 season opener), with great extensive highlights of the 3 classic playoff games. Signed by Lui and Mantyka at the same Fan Fest.
-Newspaper clippings from the 1994 playoffs
-Picture of me and my brother sitting on Lui's lap as toddlers (circa. 1985 or 1986.). Signed by him at a 1993 BC Lions/Provincial champion Terry Fox Ravens basketball game that was played in the old Terry Fox school (my mom was a teacher there). Bret Anderson was the star on the Ravens squad at the time, so I was aware of him before his Lions days. The Lions beat Terry Fox by 1 point. I'm trying to find the picture, but I don't know where it is, I just know it's in the house.
-Three 1994 Grey Cup ticket stubs (They're folded and creased though, because I had them in a football card album. They're in my ticket box, now.), what an experience that day was!
-Signed Geroy Simon football card (A random Lions fan gave it to me on the way to a game as I was leaving the Skytrain because she liked my jersey.)
-Signed Lui card, from 1991. He made it out to my brother, though. Cool, nonethless. I think this was also signed at the basketball game.
-BC Lions First 50 Years book, signed "To Andrew, For A Great BC Lion Fan" by Bobby Ackles. My dad ran into him and he got it signed for me for Christmas.
-1994 Grey Cup Champions poster.
-Lots of ticket stubs, although when I was kid, there were a lot I threw away, but I do have a few from the 90's and plenty from the last 6 years.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Hey ThreeTimesOneMinusOne, thanks for sharing these good souvenirs. Regarding the 1994 playoffs, since you have the information in the form of a video as well as the newspaper clippings, I'm hoping that you can help me on a few things that I hope to clarify.
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne wrote:BC Lions 1994 Team of Destiny video (got it at the 1995 season opener), with great extensive highlights of the 3 classic playoff games.

Newspaper clippings from the 1994 playoffs
First, about the 1994 West Division Semi-Final at Commonwealth Stadium.

#1.
If I recall correctly, the Lions dominated the Eskimos for three quarters, starting with a blocked punt that went for a safety and they led as much as 21-9. But in the fourth quarter, the Eskimos quickly got back into the game by scoring two quick TD's for a 23-21 lead, one of which was a 75-yard bomb by Damon Allen to Eddie Brown. The best receiver that day was definitely Downtown Eddie Brown as he ended up with 6 passes for 185 yards in a losing cause. The Eskimos threatened to score a third quick TD but that was snuffed out when Charles Gordon intercepted a DA pass right at the goal line and that set the stage for the final drive. Would you say that other than allowing those two TD's, the Lions defence was very good in that game?

#2.
In that game, Danny McManus started but was injured halfway, and Kent Austin took over for the rest of the game. At what point in the game was McManus injured and how? And overall, which QB performed better that day? From the news clippings, can you provide the statistics from that game?

#3.
As for the 1994 WDF in Calgary, it's been discussed to death in several threads and we all know about the famous final drive that started when the blocked FG attempt by Ray Alexander. So my questions are essentially the same for those previous two questions, but in the WDF:

In the WDF, Kent Austin started the game and was injured so Danny McManus stepped in for him and we all know that it was McManus who orchestrated the final drive. When and why was Austin replaced by McManus and overall, which QB performed better that day? Can you provide the statistics again?

And what are some highlights from before that final drive? What were some good plays by both offence and defence, and did the Lions trail for the entire game until the final play?
1994 Grey Cup Champions poster.
I heard somebody say that Darren Flutie was away when the team picture was taken because he was attending to his wife's when she was expecting. So therefore, Darren Flutie was planted on to the team picture. Can you confirm that? Perhaps you can show a zoom-in of Darren Flutie in the poster.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:I heard somebody say that Darren Flutie was away when the team picture was taken because he was attending to his wife's when she was expecting. So therefore, Darren Flutie was planted on to the team picture. Can you confirm that? Perhaps you can show a zoom-in of Darren Flutie in the poster.
I knew you would comment on that 1994 championship photo as soon as I saw it, Robbie! And I'm fairly sure I was the one who expounded on DF's absence from the photo; I have another version of the photo 3x1-1 (or is that 3x(1-1)?) has posted, and his image above is of sufficient quality for me to make some comparisons that I'm sure you're dying to hear.

In my version (sorry, but I don't have a scanner or camera so you'll have to bear with a written description), the background of empty blue seats above the players is replaced by a shot of the downtown skyline as viewed from south of False Creek, perhaps from City Hall (I have to wonder if you can still see BC Place from the vantage point of that shot, what with all the condos going up in Yaletown, but that's another story). It seems with my version that they're trying to disguise the fact that the team was posing in the stands of BC Place, but the blue seats immmediately behind the first row of coaches/etc are still quite noticeable.

As for Darren Flutie (#82): on my version, he appears in the second row, immediately above then-owner Bill Comrie (in the dark jacket, holding the Grey Cup with then-GM Eric Tillman in the grey jacket), and directly between Spencer McLennan (#16) and Yo Murphy (#89). In the version here I can't see him in the same place.

There are other retouchings I can observe from comparing the two versions of the photo:

Sean Millington (#25) was added to my version, in the second row from the bottom, immediately between Matt Clark (#85) and Enis Jackson (#26). Come to think of it, both Sean and Enis (who was also on the above) appear to be photoshop add-ons on my version. Comment, 3x1-1?

A third player who I could not recall or identify was also added to my version. He is wearing #21, so I looked him up on the all-time roster on the Lions' website, where he's identified as RB Tony Jackson who played here only in 1994, and only in three games. No wonder I forgot him! On my photo, he's positioned about midway between Henry Newby (#94) who stands at the left end of the third row from the bottom, and the guy at the left end of the second row (I don't remember his real name, Brian something or other I think, but his nickname was Red and he was on training staff at the time). Not really a part of either row, just kind of on his own. My 1994 Grey Cup program doesn't list him on the Lions roster. He probably spent most of the year on the practice roster a la Rob Pikula in 2006, and still got a ring anyway!

So there are three players and a Vancouver skyline added, but that's not all; a couple of other more trivial retouches are noticeable: the white long-sleeved shirt Kent Austin (#7) is wearing under his jersey in the front row is recoloured black on my version, and ditto for the blue jeans worn by Lui Passaglia and the coach standing at Lui's right (who I believe is Michael Gray; he was the DL coach that year). There may be more differences I've missed, but I'd need hard copies of both versions to compare them in any gretaer detail.

If you're wondering, I got my photo from an appearance by Vic Stevenson (#62) with the Grey Cup at Comrie's Brick furniture store in Victoria, circa Feb 1995; he autographed both the photo and my GC program. If you're looking for him in the photo, he's 3rd from the left in the back row, after Todd Furdyk #59 and Doug Peterson #92.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.