Are the Lions raising ticket prices again?

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

rb
Champion

I talked with a ticket agent today-- the silver season ticket early-bird price (pre Dec 15) is $250 plus GST & stadium fee, for a total of $275 per. That's an increase of about 23% over last year. Three years ago, they were $180.

I can afford it, but I don't like the Weimar Republic inflation rates.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

rb wrote:I talked with a ticket agent today-- the silver season ticket early-bird price (pre Dec 15) is $250 plus GST & stadium fee, for a total of $275 per. That's an increase of about 23% over last year. Three years ago, they were $180.

I can afford it, but I don't like the Weimar Republic inflation rates.
I guess they can justify it more with a winning product but then need to be careful too. You wonder if they projected a higher attendance average coming off the Grey Cup win but will instead look to the season ticket base for more revenue.
chimpy

I agree SammyGreene they have to be careful they don't start getting up in the canucks prices, they will blow them selves out of the vancouver market , no matter how many grey cups they win.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

I got a 2008 renewal notice in today's mail. The prices are:

Premium $525/550
Platinum $475/500
Gold $375/400
Silver $250/275
Bronze $200/210

The less expensive price pertains to early bird renewals (Dec 14th deadline), for which, as usual, you need only pay a $100 down payment to qualify. There are also the usual prize draws for those who play in full by Dec 14th: trips to 2008GC, Lion road games and training camp, and a team jacket.

The above prices do NOT include gst and other fees, and the final damage on a pair of early bird season silvers is $553.18. Tack on at least another $53 for late renewals.

The renewal package also came with a 2007 team portrait (taken a couple of months into the season, evidently -- Ben Sankey and Tony Simmons are in the photo, but not Dennis Mitchell).
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Oh, I forgot to mention the referral swag:

If you buy an extra ticket or refer someone as a new STH, you get your choice of one of an RBK logo back pack, player cap, polar stadium blanket or RBK logo bag. Each item retails for approx $35.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
CartWheelFan
All Star

My buddy just phoned me and told me that he'd gotten his notification, and our tickets will be $275 next year up from $225 last year. This means for him to put everybody's seat on his VISA like this year he'd be in for a total of $1375 for 5 seats. We're in tight already as this year we had one guy bail, and the rest of us had to eat the cost of his ticket, and there's a strong possibility I could be in Edmonton (or southeast asia) by this time next year, so I might be out as well. My buddy isn't going to be able to eat the cost of two empty seats, not to mention that if buddy number one and myself are not returning we might lose another as well, it could spell the end of row D sec. 11.

For me the $275 isn't that big a deal, but there's a lot of other costs to consider as well, there's the pre-game meal, gas, beer, drinks after to celebrate a win, this year has been the most expensive to date and I don't see the trend changing.

Whoever said maintaining the status quo was a bad thing?
pinkfreud

Well, you hear people say that consumers don't value what they get for free, or in this case for considerably less than one would pay for Canucks tickets. Maybe the Lions are trying to increase the perceived value of their product by raising ticket prices. The increase will be a disappointing hit to season-ticket holding families. I'm not sure what I'll do next season. I sure won't be renewing 4 seats on my own.
MacNews
Team Captain

OrangeShoes99 wrote:What is that four straight years of increases now? You would think they would give us a year off...I've said it before, the Lions better remember where their core support is coming from. it's not the white collar worker.
I believe in year 3 or 4 there were no increases, IIRC.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The renewal notice for my bronze seats is for $23.06 per game, up from $19.55 per game this season. That's an increase of $3.51 or just under 18%. Those who don't want to pay the increases can always move down a category. I prefer the view from the cheap seats anyway.
I_Bleed_Orange
Starter

My seats will be $47.50 per game up from $45. That's only 5.5%, so not an unreasonable amount in my opinion. For me tho, the ticket is the least expensive part. Travel is aaarrrgh!
:sigh:
I'm feelin' fine
Sitting in Row A - Sec 39

http://picasaweb.google.com/SayYesToFun
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Just got my 2008 renewal tickets. My 4 seats will cost me $2,269.18 if I renew by Dec. 14, 2007. Oh well, it's still cheaper than the Canucks. :roll:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Increases of a few percent don't bother me but when you start getting into the high teens or low 20's, then I start to question it. I love football and I think I get value for my money but there is no earthly reason why ticket prices should go up by that amount in a single season.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

CartWheelFan wrote:For me the $275 isn't that big a deal, but there's a lot of other costs to consider as well, there's the pre-game meal, gas, beer, drinks after to celebrate a win, this year has been the most expensive to date and I don't see the trend changing.
Don't forget $$$parking$$$ :bang:
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Rammer
Team Captain

Okay when I purchased a ST a few seasons ago, the cost was $150 for the silvers, now it is $250, based on an early bird discount. That is steep in a five year period. While everyone had originally found the value great, when the same seat goes up 67% in that same period, the Lions have lost that great deal look. Now I would imagine that a few will begin to migrate down in seating categories in order to attain that same price point. Perhaps this is what the Lions are expecting and then offering up the higher seating range that opens up, almost making ready for the corporate world to invade the highend seating.
Entertainment value = an all time low
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

I went to BC Place today to pick up a ticket for the game on Saturday and also spoke with a representative and got some information on '08 STs. He gave me a pamphlet and a business card, took down my name and said he would create an account for me. I'm really excited. I've never owned STs to anything before. Can't wait for next year to start! :rockin: