bc lions, western final ,will it sell out this year?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

120dB wrote:and Bob Ackles comments about keeping the NFL out of Canada are angering me and ticking off a lot of other football fans. That's not the way to sell tickets

His comments are implying that the CFL is an inferior product to the NFL, so how does that motivate people to get interested in the CFL?
Like whom?
Shaggy
Starter

I'm curious, if 120dB is a STH ? If not, how many games have you been to ( outside of "event games" where you find the attendance satisfactory) over the last 5 years?

I've got buddies that talk a lot like you do. They are NFL guys through and through, but if we slide them a freebie ticket, they show up with us, tailgate with us and have just as good a time as they do going to see "the big show" ( their take, not mine ). It's amazing how much fun you can have at a CFL game when you go planning to have a good time instead of worrying about a head count or what kind of TV deal they have.

Regarding Ackles' comments...I'm a football fan ( CFL first / NFL 2nd ) but I appreciate both games for what they bring to the table. He's right though, just because some rich boys in TO want to feel included, it would likely affect the CFL in a negative fashion. I'd rather have no NFL in Canada and a strong CFL, than one NFL team in TO ( I'd still cheer for the Seahawks ) and no CFL or some withered and dying form of it.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Shaggy wrote:120db needs a breakdown on his post summary

850 - attendance related
150 - the dome roof has fallen / will fall again
50 - dome photos / big crowds
2 - valid points of interest

Please, throw in the towel already...move to Seattle and spend your time on the 'Hawks forum complaining about them for a while....
Don't forget signs and Noise
120dB
Legend

According to today's Province article, the Lions are apparently one of four Canadian cities vying for that NFL regular season game next year.

So on one hand we've go the Lions / Braley putting in a bid for that game, and then we have Bob Ackles telling everyone who will listen, the Winnipeg media and now apparently the Province paper, how dreaded the NFL is and how it will wipe out the BC Lions and the CFL.

Okay Bob. So what are you saying? Out of one side of your mouth you're saying let's have an NFL regular season game here so the fans here can get a taste of the NFL (the Lions have made a bid apparently), and out of the other side of your mouth your saying keep the NFL out of Canada cause Vancouver doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of ever getting an NFL team here and a team in Toronto will wipe out the entire CFL.

What has David Braley said about this whole NFL thing? I wanna hear his two cents
chimpy

listen 120db ,What Bob Ackles is saying is that having a nfl game here for an entertainment option is one thing threating to come into Canada when they know it will shut down our league is another.

Wake up can't you see the diffrence?

The NFL will never come to canada anyway because the population in this country is not big enough, they need to expand to LA first, Then Mexico were the population is three times the amount than canada.
Rammer
Team Captain

chimpy wrote:listen 120db ,What Bob Ackles is saying is that having a nfl game here for an entertainment option is one thing threating to come into Canada when they know it will shut down our league is another.

The NFL will never come to canada anyway because the population in this country is not big enough, they need to expand to LA first, Then Mexico were the population is three times the amount than canada.
Our current rate of the dollar will make a Canadian franchise more interesting than a Mexican franchise, and consider that Toronto is centre for one of the top three corporate areas in North America and I am not as comfortable as I once was on an NFL team moving/locating in TO.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Shaggy
Starter

120dB....do you remember the American Bowl ( NFL preseason game )hosted at BC Place between the Seahawks and the 49ers?

The Lions hosted that if I recall.....it's the same idea as having Beckham here. Selling tickets for a one time event to make a profit and provide your customers a memory that will last for a while... ( see also outdoor NHL game at Commonwealth - Oilers vs. Habs ) these are designed to generate a one time shot of revenue. You also tend to get better attendance at the "once in a lifetime" so people can say "I was there when..." and accordingly you can charge higher $$ for said event.

Ackles job is to make money for Mr. Braley. If hosting an NFL game makes financial sense on a one time basis, he's all for it. What he's saying is ONE Canadian franchise is NOT good for the CFL as a whole. The concern is that the centre of the universe ( T.O. ) doesn't care one iota what happens to the CFL as long as they get their NFL glory. The other part of making money for Mr. Braley is to see that the CFL remains a going concern. Put it this way, when BC was in financial trouble, the rest of the CFL were concerned....losing one of your large market teams is not good for the league. Losing Toronto is just as much of a concern.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
chimpy wrote:listen 120db ,What Bob Ackles is saying is that having a nfl game here for an entertainment option is one thing threating to come into Canada when they know it will shut down our league is another.

Our current rate of the dollar will make a Canadian franchise more interesting than a Mexican franchise, and consider that Toronto is centre for one of the top three corporate areas in North America and I am not as comfortable as I once was on an NFL team moving/locating in TO.
Not to single you out, Rammer, but it seems everyone (in the sports media) is talking these days about dollar parity and how it would help the NBA and NFL establish teams on this side of the border.

But frankly, even if the wheels were put in motion today, it would be likely be another three to five years before these teams would be in game action, by which time the Cdn dollar could retreat to US$0.65. What happens then? We'll be right back to the status quo of the Grizzlies' departure.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote: But frankly, even if the wheels were put in motion today, it would be likely be another three to five years before these teams would be in game action, by which time the Cdn dollar could retreat to US$0.65. What happens then? We'll be right back to the status quo of the Grizzlies' departure.
Our dollar COULD retreat that far, yes, but the current rise has as much to do with the weakness of the American economy as it does with with the positive steps that the Bank of Canada and the government took to control the deficit.

The US dollar is dropping against almost all currencies, except a few (shock), like the Yen. When the Loonie drops, it will likely stay at around 80-90 cents IMO, and that only if the US gets its deficit under control, and starts to work on its balance of trade problems.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
Rammer wrote:

Not to single you out, Rammer, but it seems everyone (in the sports media) is talking these days about dollar parity and how it would help the NBA and NFL establish teams on this side of the border.

But frankly, even if the wheels were put in motion today, it would be likely be another three to five years before these teams would be in game action, by which time the Cdn dollar could retreat to US$0.65. What happens then? We'll be right back to the status quo of the Grizzlies' departure.
I agree with your time frame, but lets put it this way, if our current dollar is around the 65 cent level, you don't even begin to consider a move to TO. As it stands, the wheels may begin to move, but they would easily halt if the dollar dropped once again.
Entertainment value = an all time low
notahomer
Hall of Famer

Lion Guy wrote:
Ansewr this question then, how come we sold out the grey cup 2 years ago with 2 months left in the season?. i think there are a lot of lions fans and when they here that there is going to be game like the WF against a team like sask, that is going to be the hottest ticket in town and the place to be, not the canuck game.

Because hosting a Grey Cup is an event open to all CFL fans across the nation. I doubt there will be too many people from Toronto at the WF game, should we host one. ( No bad karma.....No bad karma.....)
Well the Grey Cup is what it is (used to be nicknamed the Grand National Drunk). That Grey Cup we sold out two years ago was held a week before a HOME Western Final that wasn't sold out (big crowd but not sold out IIRC). I am a Lions fan through and through but there is no way a Canuck game will not be the hottest ticket in the current sports market. Many Vancouverites want the 'big-time city' label. Well we've got an awesome football team in a great football league but its second fiddle to the Canucks. Will it always be so, I think so but I consider that my gain. I'm in on a special secret. Lions football is the best bang for your sportsbuck. I should make the effort and try to figure out what I'd be paying for a similar season ticket in the same spot in the Seahawks new stadium. Granted comparing apples to oranges but I know I'm getting value for what I paid to watch 10 CFL football games. The playoffs are just gravy.
Bobbyp
Champion

If the dollar goes down wouldnt that help a t.o nfl team owner the tv money is in US currency. He is gauranteed to make money and doesnt have to sell a single ticket.The players are paid in US so that would be a wash and his profit would go up on the exchange rate. Ticket revenue would be affected by the same percentage but the money on exchange on the tv would be greater. Who knows maybe he could get the same amount for the tickets remember people in t.o. are stupid.
Some mispelling may or may not occur as well as using a word incorrectly in my posts
READER CAUTION IS STRICTLY ADVISED
120dB
Legend

well then if Bob Ackles wants to shoot his mouth off about his concerns about the NFL coming to Canada then fine, that's fair comment, but don't say all that and at the same time then try to convince Vancouverites to buy tickets for a once in a lifetime NFL game if it does come here.

Be consistent. Either you're pro or anti NFL. Don't badmouth the NFL on one hand and then try to generate interest in an NFL game here. That's total BS

Bob Ackles through his comments has shot down any chance we'll get that game now. You think the NFL hasn't noticed Bob's comments? You think the NFL is impressed with what Bob has said?

Or mabey Ackles thinks that by scaring us about the NFL wiping out the CFL then we'll all run out and buy tickets for the Western Final cause we're all scared the Lions may go under
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

120dB wrote:Be consistent. Either you're pro or anti NFL. Don't badmouth the NFL on one hand and then try to generate interest in an NFL game here. That's total BS
I agree. If I want to go to an NFL game I can go to Seattle. I won't go to one here. It doesn't seem right.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

120dB wrote:well then if Bob Ackles wants to shoot his mouth off about his concerns about the NFL coming to Canada then fine, that's fair comment, but don't say all that and at the same time then try to convince Vancouverites to buy tickets for a once in a lifetime NFL game if it does come here.

Be consistent. Either you're pro or anti NFL. Don't badmouth the NFL on one hand and then try to generate interest in an NFL game here. That's total BS

Bob Ackles through his comments has shot down any chance we'll get that game now. You think the NFL hasn't noticed Bob's comments? You think the NFL is impressed with what Bob has said?

Or mabey Ackles thinks that by scaring us about the NFL wiping out the CFL then we'll all run out and buy tickets for the Western Final cause we're all scared the Lions may go under
In a previous post, I indicated that sometimes dB's posts annoyed me and sometimes they became amusing through the humourous contributions of other Lionbackers.

But this one is annoying. How dare dB misunderstand Bobby Ackles and presume to criticize him.

dB knows nothing about football or running an organization. Ackles is an expert at both. dB should be respectful of Bobby Ackles and all he has done for football in this province.

This post of yours attacking Bobby Ackles if offensive, dB. You know nothing. You understand nothing. All you do is make a lot of noise with partial understanding of what is going on. In your needs for attention, you make a fool of yourself, and you don't even realize it. It seems you actually think you have insight into issues.

Quit knocking Ackles and Buono. It is tiresome, now, and annoying. You waste valuable space on this high quality football discussion website.

And quit being so childish, and spell maybe properly. It has been pointed out to you about 50 times. I suppose you think it is cute to stubbornly spell it incorrectly.