Reasoning for blackout

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

almo89
Legend

Here's a post from the CFL.ca forums:
Poking around online, the Eskimos website says this about CFL blackout policy:

The standard CFL blackout policy is as follows:
The blackout pattern for CFL games is 56 km radius from the stadium for cable television and 120 kms for conventional (CBC). There is one exception to this rule. The Province of Saskatchewan is subject to full provincial blackouts.

Therefore, since the game is on CBC, and we're within 120 km (Nanaimo is affected too), and the blackout has not been lifted for this game, we are being blacked out, despite the fact that we live ON A FREAKING ISLAND. This is completely stupid.

edit: here's the link I'm using as a reference: http://www.esks.com/default.asp?V_DOC_ID=784
J5V

A customer of mine told me that he had heard that the Lions' asked for the blackout because islanders can take the 11:30 sailing that BC Ferries is offering (full-price) back from the game. Not sure who he "heard" this from, but I hope for the Lions' sake that this isn't the truth.
Tighthead
Legend

If that is the truth it will be a long time before I buy another ticket.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Total bullsh*t. I came over to the Island for a completely different reason. I didn't buy tickets for this game because of the fact I was coming here, but purchased a ticket for the game at the end of the month. Total crap, I'm pissed off. Yeah, let's just hop on a ferry for the evening to take in a game that we should be able to see to begin with. Retarded. :x
Ravi
Legend

We get CBC Vancouver on our digital cable here in Ontario and the game was on that channel.
Krazy4football
prospect

What a rip off! Sat down to watch the game, which was in the TV listings and got some BS show instead. Phoned Shaw, and they said that the CBC decided to pull the network feed! :x
Bring back Empire Stadium!
Rammer
Team Captain

CBC is short lived for the CFL, they are making some huge mistakes recently on it. :x
Entertainment value = an all time low
Mane
prospect

Living in Nanaimo I have been watching the Lions games on television since the seventies. Due to my type of work I am rarely able to afford the luxury of time away at weekends to take in a live game. This is the first time if my memory serves me correctly that the Island has been hit with a blackout-because we live on an Island! Lions management and CBC you blew this call big time.
Rammer
Team Captain

JohnHenry wrote:It is up to the home team to decide whether to lift the blackout or not. While blacking out parts of Vancouver island is plain stupid, fans in the Vancouver area who watch home games on TV don't put one cent into the Lions coffers. TV ratings and "promotional" value are worth diddely squat.

It is season ticket holders who keep the Lions afloat and it is important that they know that the home games will be blacked out...so they continue to buy season's tickets. That is all that matters.
Absolutely wrong, LFitQ and Solar Max (CatsEyes), have ST, but don't make all the games due to living well outside the 54KM zone. Had they not gone to this game, they also would have missed the game due to CBC dropping the ball on this one. Now think about all the fans that make one or two trips into Vancouver for a Lions game throughout the province, they are loyal fans that watch the Lions via the television and they were arbitrarily blackedout for no reason. Just think about being in position to settle down and watch your team when they are away from home and then have the CBC pull the plug on you. That amounts to the same for the BC people that were victomized here. CBC dropped the ball plain and simple, but it isn't the first time around for them.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

I live in Duncan and it was not blacked out here - not in HD anyway.
valleybear
prospect

That was Pure Crap ! I was planning on going to the game with my son, but it fell through. no problem we'll watch it anyways. no, It's should be on but instead it's F...... antiques hour. I'm far enough out of Van for the tsn blackouts (Whistler) but not cbc ?! what gives. Just another beef with cbc :x :x
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Lions4ever wrote:I live in Duncan and it was not blacked out here - not in HD anyway.
Will buy popcorn on the 29th, or any other bribe you care to name...within reason. :lol:
CatsEyes
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote: Absolutely wrong, LFitQ and Solar Max (CatsEyes), have ST, but don't make all the games due to living well outside the 54KM zone. Had they not gone to this game, they also would have missed the game due to CBC dropping the ball on this one. Now think about all the fans that make one or two trips into Vancouver for a Lions game throughout the province, they are loyal fans that watch the Lions via the television and they were arbitrarily blackedout for no reason. Just think about being in position to settle down and watch your team when they are away from home and then have the CBC pull the plug on you. That amounts to the same for the BC people that were victomized here. CBC dropped the ball plain and simple, but it isn't the first time around for them.
Thanks Phil! I don't expect some mindless executive in Toronto to understand that their "radius" when applied here, might include $200-$300 of expense to travel that distance. Guess if we want to see the game on the 29th, I should make an appointment to see my banker, or have someone outside The Radius to record it for us. Thank God the games on the on October 20th and November 3rd are on TSN. Next season can't come soon enough. :x
Real women wear orange!!
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Solar Max wrote:
Lions4ever wrote:I live in Duncan and it was not blacked out here - not in HD anyway.
Will buy popcorn on the 29th, or any other bribe you care to name...within reason. :lol:
Hey, I could leave a key under the mat. We'll be in the stands at BC Place right about game time anyway! :yes: