did anyone watch Printers at half time?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

Let me also applaud 120db's post....he makes some valid points.

And while we're on the subject of 120db.......I have a question for the mods.......why has it become acceptable to personally attack him?

There are certain posters that can be counted on to personally attack the guy every time he starts a thread or makes an "outrageous" statement......I thought there were rules against that?

I vehemently disagree with a lot of posts on this site......but that doesn't give me the right to personally attack someone because their post convinces me that they are stupid !!

IMHO, Everyone should be afforded the same rights and privileges on this board........allowing the attacks on 120db de-values this board.
Lloyd
squishy35
Legend

I vehemently disagree with a lot of posts on this site......but that doesn't give me the right to personally attack someone because their post convinces me that they are stupid !!

Agreed :yes:
bumblebee

Yeah, Printers did sound pretty pumped.
Pumped on his own ego. :roll:
I'm just glad 'Printers Show Me the Money' is currently excited. But will it last?
120dB
Legend

And as for the Grey Cup last year, yes I was delighted as many other fans were... BUT

I live in the present. And I know many of you do too. This is HERE and NOW not THERE and THEN. The Lions may continue winning, but they could also start falling apart too. It happened before and it can happen again.

Rob Murphy's comments I feel were not helpful in this Printers drama. I could see in the interview that Printers was emotional when asked about Murphy's comments. He seemed quite hurt. Almost as if the comments were like a knife in the back. I senses some hurt, some pain. Of course Rob can say what he wants, I just don't think they were helpful in the overall dynamics.

While Rob can reflect the comments of other team members that were actually on the BC Lions when Casey Printers was here, Rob Murphy was not actually here when Printers was here.

And I feel Wally's decision was influenced by Murphy's comments. The whole matter last year of Printers being relagated to watching the Western Final at Earls and Murphy making confrontational comments about Casey dare not coming near the Lions dressing room I feel was a back breaker.

Nevertheless, Wally makes the final decision. I want Wally Buono to come clean on why he decided not to make an offer.

This issue will rear its ugly head if the Lions start falling apart down the stretch. Is it:

1. because he felt Casey would be disruptive to the locker room chemistry and why he would necessarily feel that way when Casey would clearly be the No 1 QB here in such a scenario (no more QB controversy)

OR 2. is it because of friction between him and Jason Medlock and why necessarily that would be sufficient grounds to not even bother making an offer to the player that's now making $ 1.7 million and is the highest paid and highest profile player (mabey since Flutie) in the CFL

Jason Medlock represents other players in other sports I'm sure. Can anyone name some other players that Jason Medlock represents?

Wally has been backtracking. The latest Province article about the whole Medlock issue is an example. You can't do that. There's too much at stake, such as the future direction of the BC Lions, and I feel that's worth fighting for.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Why does it only have to be 1 issue or the other?

Can there not be several mitigating circumstances that brings one to a decision?
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Soundy
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:Why does it only have to be 1 issue or the other?

Can there not be several mitigating circumstances that brings one to a decision?
Because that's not as controversial.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

120dB wrote:Printers could have elevated the excitement level. Printers could've brought back some of that atmosphere of the 80s. Now Printers is lost forever
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ravi
Legend

I don't understand why 120dB gets all the flack that he does either. He has posted a couple of times on argofans.com and is always welcome there but he has made it clear that he is a Lions fan. I think that he has made some great points about the Printers situation in this thread and I also think that Printers could have put a few more thousand fans in the seats in B.C. because of his popularity there (at least amongst fans who don't necessarily frequent this board). For me, Printers = excitement and what would be wrong with winning a Grey Cup plus having one of the most exciting offences in CFL history with Printers at the helm? Oh well, the Lions made their decision and, ultimately, I think that Printers will make more of an impact in Hamilton and southern Ontario, on and off the field, than he even would have back in B.C.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

It's really hard to tell if he's just a Printers fanboy, which is how he comes off on the surface, or is just using Printers as yet another excuse to slam Wally and the Lions. When's the last POSITIVE thing he said about either?
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
almo89
Legend

Soundy wrote:It's really hard to tell if he's just a Printers fanboy, which is how he comes off on the surface, or is just using Printers as yet another excuse to slam Wally and the Lions. When's the last POSITIVE thing he said about either?
I don't see how anybody can slam wally. Ever since 2003, have we ever had a bad season? I've go through the 90s and I can say that from 2003 till now, has been one of the best times for me as a Lions fan.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

I for one owe 120d an apology, so here it is, 120.

We don't all have to share the same opinions, and if you feel that Wally is a problem, then that's your opinion and it's fair comment.

:beer:
rb
Champion

Ad hominem attacks should be avoided, but nothing wrong with direct refutation of a silly statement.

Wally's coaching record as of today: 207 wins, 105 losses, 3 ties and 4 Grey Cup championships

Nobody's purrfect, but the overall evidence speaks volumes. The repeated, baseless suggestions that Wally is incompetent are ridiculous.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote: but that doesn't give me the right to personally attack someone because their post convinces me that they are stupid !!
and you have never done that....right???? :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Blitz
Team Captain

Casey Printers has returned to the CFL and that is great for the league. Printers has a personality and a playing style that draws media coverage and creates excitement and the CFL is a beneificiary. When Casey Printers plays his first game at B.C. Place one can anticipate a huge crowd and that gate will only benefit our B.C. Lions.

I was a big Printers fan in 2004 and 2005 and was pleased that our Leos chose to offer him a very good contract to make him our starter. While Printers turned down the offer to give the NFL a shot (a decision of his I disagreed with) I believed that Wally had made the right decision, even though there was a lot to say for both of our quarterbacks at the time.

In the meantime, in 2006 we saw Buck Pierce emerge as a future star. This season, with Buck hurt, Jarious Jackson, a backup quarterback I've always beleived had a lot of potential and talent (just needs to get rid of his nervousness and needs game time reps) started to emerge.

Therefore I was really torn between a future Buck Pierce/Jarious Jackson or a Printers/Pierce combination. The key to me was quarterback depth and ensuring we had two quarterbacks who could get the job done. We will need to sign Jarious for next season, now that Printers signed with Hamilton.

There have been two major themes in the anti-Printers posts that have appeared on Lionbackers. One theme was that Printers was a overhyped quarterback who really wasn't that good. The second theme was that Printers had talent but his personality was a negative (ego, chemistry etc.) Of course there were a few posters who argued both.

I've always recognized that Printers is a very confident quarterback who does have an ego. However, while not comparing him with Muhammad Ali, he also has elements of Ali's personality. He likes to hype. He's a showman. Some like that, some don't! I've always believed it was good for our game.

With regard to Printers comeback, Dave Dickenson said he didn't believe it will take Casey Printers very long to adjust back to the CFL game...that he hasn't taken many hits over the last year and a half and that his NFL experience will only help him. Angus Reid was quoted in Friday's newspaper that Casey Printers was essentially a very talented quarterback and that's from a guy who snapped the football to him over one and a half seasons.

Wally, after Printers signed in Hamilton discussed Jason Medlock and the headaches he caused for Wally when Printers was in B.C. Even though I realized that Medlock was painful I didn't realize how often he had called Wally to complain or advise. Too bad...obviously an agent who could compare with Eric Lindros mother in style and interference.

However, there is no question that our Leos had contacted Medlock and informed him that our Leos were interested in him for next year, that we didn't have salary cap money for a mid-season signing. We also didn't want to sign Printers mid-season to the disruptive influence he might have, with Dickenson still here and players loyalty to him.

Printers contacted Geroy Simon and other Leo players prior to making his decision and discussed the 'chemistry' problem that could exist if he returned to B.C. in the future. Printers wanted to return to the CFL now and was ready to sign with Montreal for the remainder of the season and become a free agent at the end of the year. He was still considering B.C. due to the fact that our Leos were still very interested in him for next year. However, Hamilton not only threw a lot of money at him but their committment to him as well changed his mind. Printers, after his time in B.C. and the challenges he faced in Kansas City, quite simply wanted to be really wanted. Both were important in his signing..

However, perhaps the question of character, has always come up the most about Casey Printers. Others have basically said that Printers was an 'ok' guy and Medlock was the main problem (a problem that Casey has struggled to deal with because Medlock is his uncle and is very close to Printers family)

However, when it comes to Printers personality I believe Wally Buono is a very good judge of that personality, since he worked with him very closely during his time here with our Leos. Wally, after Printers had signed with Hamilton, said it simply, when talking about Caey Printers (as quoted in the Province) said "I quite like him!!"

That was always the relationship between Wally Buono and Casey Printers. If it hadn't been he wouldn't have tried to sign him at the end of 2005 nor would he have indicated strong interest in him again if Printers was willing to wait until next year to sign a contract.

In the meantime, Buck Pierce will be an easy quarterback to cheer for as our future starter. I really like Jarious Jackson as well and believe he is only going to get better and I hope we get him signed.

In the meantime I really wish Casey Printers well in Hamilton. It's great for CFL football!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:However, when it comes to Printers personality I believe Wally Buono is a very good judge of that personality, since he worked with him very closely during his time here with our Leos. Wally, after Printers had signed with Hamilton, said it simply, when talking about Caey Printers (as quoted in the Province) said "I quite like him!!"

That was always the relationship between Wally Buono and Casey Printers. If it hadn't been he wouldn't have tried to sign him at the end of 2005 nor would he have indicated strong interest in him again if Printers was willing to wait until next year to sign a contract.
That is my reading on the situation as well. One of Wally's greatest strengths is understanding personalities and their effect on a team. His endorsement of Casey says a lot. Despite the difficulties presented by Jason Medlock, Wally was more than willing to have Casey back with the Leos.

It was not meant to be, and that is fine with me. Casey coming back to the Leos would have been overkill. How many very good, or excellent QBs does one team need (or have reps for)? And with Casey (and his uncle) there would have been some dissension in the locker room. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck ... etc. Look at the track record.

As it is, good for the CFL. Good for the weak sister of the league, Hamilton. And good for Casey. He is now the undisputed Numero Uno, leader of his own team.