A warning about Tailgates...

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

LFITQ
Team Captain

Just saw this and thought I would post it. If we aren't careful the same thing could happen to our tailgates. We have to remember the tailgate rules and try and get EVERYONE to abide by them. - if we know them or not.

Gotta feel for the Bomber fans...
Winnipeg Sun wrote:Teetotal tailgaters?
Football fans warned against parking lot booze

Winnipeg football fans should probably leave one of the three "B's" at home if they're heading to a tailgate party before tomorrow's Blue Bombers game.

Barbecues and Bombers gear are welcome but anyone caught with booze in parking lots surrounding Canad Inns Stadium risks a fine or having their drinks confiscated or poured out by Winnipeg police, who are cracking down on pre-game festivities.

Police are putting more officers than usual outside the stadium due to recent complaints about people getting drunk before and during games.

"We're not there to prevent people from having a good time. We want people to have fun," said police spokeswoman Const. Jacqueline Chaput.

Tailgate parties are legal but there is no law allowing open alcohol at such events, Chaput said.

The same goes for booze aboard private buses -- or party buses -- that take fans to the stadium, she said.

Police did not say if it will be a one-time crackdown or a practice that will continue to season's end.

Regardless, some fans are upset with the decision.

"For most of the people, (tailgating) is a really fun experience. The whole excitement of the game is right there," said Ian Skelly. "If you look at the NFL, that's part of the fans' lifestyle."

Skelly attended the Labour Day Classic last weekend in Regina, where fans were allowed to drink at tailgate parties in designated areas.

COINCIDENCE

"That was the biggest tailgate party I've ever been to. Everybody was keeping it respectable," Skelly said.

Chaput said it's a coincidence police are stepping up their presence at one of the most anticipated times of the season.

Tomorrow's sold-out contest is the annual Banjo Bowl against Saskatchewan. More than 29,000 people will be in the stands.

"This isn't an indication that there's been an increase in incidents," said Bombers president and CEO Lyle Bauer. "Those things have (decreased). However, there has been some tailgating, potentially along the lines of U.S.-style tailgating, and some things that are allowed in other markets but, unfortunately, are not allowed in Manitoba due to the liquor laws."

Rowdy fans who drink too much before games are being disruptive towards families and others in the stadium, police said.

Some are loud and hurl obscenities, others are so inebriated they spill drinks and food or are at risk of falling down stairs.

Earlier this year, a 24-year-old fan suffered a broken jaw and other injuries when he and a friend were beaten in the stands by a "visibly drunk" man and another man.

A dispute over a souvenir beer cup sparked that fight.
http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Winnipe ... 8-sun.html
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Rowdy fans who drink too much before games are being disruptive towards families and others in the stadium, police said.

Some are loud and hurl obscenities, others are so inebriated they spill drinks and food or are at risk of falling down stairs.

Earlier this year, a 24-year-old fan suffered a broken jaw and other injuries when he and a friend were beaten in the stands by a "visibly drunk" man and another man.

A dispute over a souvenir beer cup sparked that fight.
http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Winnipe ... 8-sun.html
This is where it gets ridiculous and just screams of the cops looking for an excuse to flex their muscles. Fans who drink too much BEFORE the games? If the venue wasn't KEEPING them stoked with booze DURING the game, they'd be starting to sober up by the half. Spilled drinks in the stands? Dispute over a souvenir beer cup?? Where did THAT come from? BEER SALES *IN* THE STADIUM!

I'm not saying they need to ban inside sales, but let's be realistic: most of the booze-fueled problems are arising later in the game, as fans are drinking the booze provided *by the venue*, not from the pre-game drinking. If you're going to point a finger, start with that.
pinkfreud

No this is a case where people are complaining and the cops have no choice but to enforce an existing law. They have to look like they're doing their job. As long as things don't get too out of control people won't complain and the cops won't have to do something about it. So Ken is right to remind everyone to keep it to a dull roar.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Oh, I agree with that... it just irks me that the cops are blaming ALL the problems IN the stadium, on the alcohol consumption OUTSIDE the stadium - no mention of the inside beer sales, no consideration for the fact that some people are just plain idiots to begin with... no, all the rowdyism during the game can be blamed on people boozing it up at tailgaters.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
MacNews
Team Captain

What a joke, and you wonder why nobody tail-gates. I was down in Seattle for the weekend and they had tons of people tailgating for the Cougars game. If the lot didn't allow tailgating there was a a sign at the front that said "No tailgating".
O'Shea

LFITQ does have a good point... if we self police our pre-game tailgate activities and give no one cause for complaints, we could be spared the same fate in BC.

However, what is stopping fans from having more than a few drinks at a pub or restaurant sponsor (SC is heavily promoted during our home games) and then dragging their drunk butts to the game for more beverages?

I have seen some very drunk people entering the stadium and I haven't witnessed security trying to stop them or the concessions refusing to serve them more alcohol.

To crack down on tailgates as the only potential source of problems with drunken rowdy fans isn't realistic.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

I don't mind doing the pub thing beforehand as well, but it's really not the same atmosphere as a TG, and it's a hulluva lot more expensive.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
smphantom
Legend

O'Shea wrote:I have seen some very drunk people entering the stadium and I haven't witnessed security trying to stop them or the concessions refusing to serve them more alcohol.
That's because, they are too busy harassing fans like me walking outside the Stadium 90 minutes before the game with unopened liquor. :x
Stay thirsty my friends.
O'Shea

smphantom wrote:
O'Shea wrote:I have seen some very drunk people entering the stadium and I haven't witnessed security trying to stop them or the concessions refusing to serve them more alcohol.
That's because, they are too busy harassing fans like me walking outside the Stadium 90 minutes before the game with unopened liquor. :x
True enough! :roll: How did I know this would come up :lol: