Casey Printers and the Drugstore Cowboys!!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

The good news is that Team 1040 and across the CFL, they are talking CFL football on the night the NFL kicks off the regular season.

I agree that for the Lions it'd be best to see CP next season, if they needed him, and it is best for the league for him to be either in Hamilton or Toronto (he'd have motivated that fan base for sure).

Pigskin waining poetic is something to behold!!! Good stuff that.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Gerry
Legend

Waining??
Enough is enough.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Gerry wrote:Waining??
As opposed to waxing, one supposes.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

It was my greatest fear when everything was falling apart in the 2005 season and the controversy which carried over from the 2004 GC bitterness, of not letting CP get in that game.

I knew it was only a matter of time before Casey wound up on someone else’s team, and would take great zeal each time he met up with our Leos, to remind them that they made a huge mistake in his mind, and the mind of many others.

I am relieved that he chose Hamilton, as he can do us little harm there until they fill some holes, and that is a few years away.

Welcome back CP!

Welcome back to our game...

The most exciting football in the world!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:The good news is that Team 1040 and across the CFL, they are talking CFL football on the night the NFL kicks off the regular season.

I agree that for the Lions it'd be best to see CP next season, if they needed him, and it is best for the league for him to be either in Hamilton or Toronto (he'd have motivated that fan base for sure).

Pigskin waining poetic is something to behold!!! Good stuff that.

If it made any sense...which it does not.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Lowell Ullrich talks to Casey Printers in Hamilton:

Why did Printers not take the contract offer he so desperately sought after the 2005 season, the one in which Lions coach Wally Buono reportedly offered in the order of $1.2 million, a sign the club clearly wanted him and not Dave Dickenson.

"The offer was, well, how do I say this, going to keep Dave and I on the same playing field for another two or three years, said Printers, suggesting the deal was for backup money.

"And given the adversity that we had already put the team through to me it wasn't worth staying there and have a bickering controversy between two decent guys that wanted to lead their own ball club.

"It wasn't one of those things where i said 'forget BC.' My agent, (Jason Medlock), my uncles, my mother said if the offer been significant enough I would have still been in BC. Period."

Interesting ...

Casey's comments don't clarify what went down at the end of 2005. They muddy the waters some more (Was $1.2 M considered backup money?). But it doesn't matter anymore. He is in Hamilton. Good luck to Casey and to the TiCats. Good for the CFL.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

"It wasn't one of those things where i said 'forget BC.' My agent, (Jason Medlock), my uncles, my mother said if the offer been significant enough I would have still been in BC. Period."
who exactly is in control anyhow.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:Lowell Ullrich talks to Casey Printers in Hamilton:

Why did Printers not take the contract offer he so desperately sought after the 2005 season, the one in which Lions coach Wally Buono reportedly offered in the order of $1.2 million, a sign the club clearly wanted him and not Dave Dickenson.

"The offer was, well, how do I say this, going to keep Dave and I on the same playing field for another two or three years, said Printers, suggesting the deal was for backup money.

"And given the adversity that we had already put the team through to me it wasn't worth staying there and have a bickering controversy between two decent guys that wanted to lead their own ball club.

Interesting ...

Casey's comments don't clarify what went down at the end of 2005. They muddy the waters some more (Was $1.2 M considered backup money?). But it doesn't matter anymore. He is in Hamilton. Good luck to Casey and to the TiCats. Good for the CFL.
So CP gave up nearly triple the salery (over aproximately the same time frame, only most of it back end loaded) he just accepted in Hamilton, to avoid "back up money" and two years of further adversity and bickering, when both he and DD at the time consistently reassured a hounding media there was no controversy.

1.2 million dollars wasn't a significant amount, as opposed to three years at a half a million???

Go figure?

I don't buy it!
LFITQ
Team Captain

1.2 million dollars wasn't a significant amount, as opposed to three years at a half a million???
Just a slight clarification. His deal with the Ticats is presumed to be worth $500,000 per year.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:
Just a slight clarification. His deal with the Ticats is presumed to be worth $500,000 per year.
That's not slight LFITQ, that's a huge difference...

Begging a pardon here...

WestCoastJoe wrote:
So for 300,000 more, at that time CP would have stayed in BC and shared the helm with DD right?
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

PigSkin_53 wrote: So for 300,000 more, at that time CP would have stayed in BC and shared the helm with DD right?
I'm sorry-shared the helm with DD? I'm missing something here I think.

Sort of like sharing a joust on horseback in medieval times?
LFITQ
Team Captain

PigSkin_53 wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
So for 300,000 more, at that time CP would have stayed in BC and shared the helm with DD right?
When on with Brian Williams last night CP said he didn't want to play second fiddle. He felt he deserved to be the #1 guy (and he also said he felt Dave deserved to be a #1 guy) and the deal the Lions were offering at the time was not going to make him the #1 guy in BC.

IIRC Wally was offering the $1.2 mill but much of it may have been back loaded. The way I think many saw it developing here was that DD would be the #1 guy in 2006 with CP taking over in 2007 and subsequent years.

But let's not forget, Casey came to the CFL with designs on getting to the NFL (and you can't blame him for that) so I'm not sure anything Wally was going to offer was going to be good enough. Casey wanted his shot in the NFL, his agent talked him into it and off he went to get caught up in the futility and politics of the NFL. Now he is back where he belongs.

The only thing to wonder about is if he will suffer from the NFLitis that many players having returned from the NFL suffer from when they come back (and some don't) - only time will tell.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Watching Printers talking about wanting to be the best ever, one has to wonder what kind of grip on reality this guy has.
squishy35
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:Watching Printers talking about wanting to be the best ever, one has to wonder what kind of grip on reality this guy has.
Don't you want to be the best at what you're good at? Or would you rather settle for 2nd or 3rd best.

He has great talent and he is young. He's got a great head coach in Taffe and with an owner like Bob Young, a lot to potentially build with in the future.

At least he's not saying.... I want to be the 4 th best QB in history......(yeah, that's leadership. :roll: )

You never know. I know that many rolled their eyes when Flutie orginally came north.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

You never know. I know that many rolled their eyes when Flutie orginally came north.
thing is, Flutie didnt come here claimed he would be the best, or wanted to be the best, etc. . One should talk about team goals. He should be talking only about HELPING the team win championships and such. ON a personal lever, he should be talking about have a long career, making a difference, being remembered, having an impact, being the best he can be, etc. Realistic goals, not impossible goals.