Casey Printers and the Drugstore Cowboys!!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

I'll go out on a bit of a limb here, and predict that you won't see a Printers/Pierce one two punch. Not only are they both bona fide starters, but Pierce has earned the right to start here, and if not here, then somewhere else.

That would not be selfish, IMO; it would be exactly the same as what Casey did in trying the NFL in an attempt to better his own situation. Buck would come back to haunt, because that's football karma. Ask another Ottawa fan about Tom Clements and Condredge Holloway some time, because I still have nightmares.

Dave's reaction goes without saying, and he'd be entirely justified in it.

The fact is that Buck signed a three year contract plus an option knowing that Dickenson would likely be signed to a similar extension. He took the kind of backup quarterback money that some CFL quarterback starters get and he also has the chance to make more if he becomes the starter. Obviously Buck wanted to compete but was also willing to take his chances behind Dickenson for a number of seasons, if he stayed healthy.

Buck is under contract for the remainder of this season, and two more seasons plus the option. It's an exceptional contract for a non-starter at present and deserving as well because Buck entered this season as the best backup quarterback in the CFL and no one else is close. I believed he should become our starter next season because he is ready to start and we needed to start the transition. Of course a number of Dickenson fans came on here and argued that Buck was nowhere ready to start and needed more tutelage for a couple of seasons.

Wally could keep Buck here for the entire time of his contract or trade him...it won't be Buck's choice!!

Now, suddenly, with Printers in the big picture..there is a different view and Buck is ready to start. Confusing stuff!! As for Dickenson, he was upset at Wally at the end of 2005 when he tried to sign Printers and likely won't be happy again.

However, our Leos have payed Dickenson well and have been tremendously supportive even though he has missed a lot of games during his time here. They were loyal to him in 2004, when he lobbied hard to start the Grey Cup game and chose him every time over Printers in 2005, when Wally had to make his 'gameday decision'! They also signed him to a four year extension this season, with a very good backup in Buck Pierce, who had started and won a number of games last season. No, the contract wasn't guaranteed but Dickenson has always been given first class treatment.

That's not saying he hasn't deserved it. He's been a premiere quarterback in the league when he's been healthy and has always been willing to give his all to the team. However, this is pro football and teams are about winning. It's been a long time that we've been able to count on Dickenson over the course of a season...2003 in fact until he got hurt just before the playoff game) and it's obvious that that risk has significantly increased and he may not be able to play again.

You can't blame Wally or Ackles for thinking about our long term future!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
rb
Champion

It would be insanity to bring back Dickenson next year at his current salary. And there's not much incentive for him to take a pay cut and risk his health for less dough. I think this is probably the end of the line for Dave.

And I agree with Blitz-- DD's been well-paid and generally well treated. He's going to be paid through the end of this season; he can't really complain. He delivered enough in spite of his injuries to be worth every penny through the previous four years, but I can't make a case for him being back next year.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Gerry wrote:
PigSkin_53 wrote:
Gerry wrote:
To what and whom are you referring, PigSkin_53? Those are pretty strong words.
If you have to ask that Scatchy, you've already answered your own question!
Humour me. I don't understand the reference to "Scatchy" either. Do I have to Google it, or will you explain that for me as well?

I don't want to presume what another person means if the intent is not clear to me, and yours is not.

Thank you.
Let me google it for you then Gerry as you attempt to rally your goons for another dash against ramparts of oblivion.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=MadMunky20k

Get it???
Last edited by PigSkin_53 on Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote: You didn't think that way Solar Max...when Printers chose to take the NFl offer instead at the end of 2005.
On the contrary; I felt then that Casey did what he had to do to better himself, and how can anyone blame him for that? Casey did what he needed to, and I supported the Lions in what they had to do. Unfortunately for some, the Lions won a Grey Cup, and that didn't suit some personal agendas all that well.

I don't care who the quarterback is; I care about winning. The trouble is that pro football isn't a game, it's a business. If you can field a pathetic club like the Hamilton TigerCats or the Toronto Maple Leafs year after year, and the fans still show up, then you are successful as a business. Fill the seats, and winning is irrelevant, if you can keep doing it with a bad product. If you can get a player with pizzazz and panache, it makes your job just that much easier. Winning becomes secondary to the show itself, as in the NFL.

The fans won't like it much though, unless you train them the way Leafs fans have been. Then it's the March to the Cup every September.

You show me flash and panache and pizzazz all you want, but in the end it's the W for me that counts...or doesn't.
Gerry
Legend

PigSkin_53 wrote:
Gerry wrote:
PigSkin_53 wrote:
If you have to ask that Scatchy, you've already answered your own question!
Humour me. I don't understand the reference to "Scatchy" either. Do I have to Google it, or will you explain that for me as well?

I don't want to presume what another person means if the intent is not clear to me, and yours is not.

Thank you.
Let me google it for you then Gerry as you attempt to rally your goons for another dash against ramparts of oblivion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Itchy_&_Scratchy_Show

I'm Ichy and you're Scatchy.

Get it???
If I Google "Scratchy" I can find that myself, not that I'd need to. I have seen the Simpsons. If I Google "Scatchy", I get zip.

Get it?

Now, now that we have established "Scratchy" as being what you meant, I do not see how it applies to this thread or our previous posts. Nor do I know what you mean by me "rallying my goons for another dash against ramparts of oblivion".

I do know that I am beginning to see insult in your comments, vague as they are. If that is not your intent, please say so.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Can't we all just get along?

All I'm looking for is a little respect between brethren.

"You're either on the bus or you’re off the bus"!
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Or under the bus. 8)
Gerry
Legend

PigSkin_53 wrote:Can't we all just get along?

All I'm looking for is a little respect between brethren.

"You're either on the bus or you’re off the bus"!
I don't know. Can we?

I'm just asking you to explain yourself. You made a post that was unclear (to me, anyway) and I asked for an explanation. You responded vaguely, but there was a tone of insult there. I asked you if that was your intent, and so far, you have not answered that question.

Again, in this post you end it by expressing yourself with a quoted ultimatum. Ultimatums are not codusive to "getting along". Do you "want to get along", or are you just trying to piss me off?
Hawkballer 14
Champion

Wally is playing with fire for even considering the option of re-signing Printers.

Witness the Rob Murphy interview on The Team 1040; he made it perfectly clear that Printers is not welcome. This from their stud LT who wasn't even here during the Printers saga, who didn't want Casey in the Lions dressing room during the '06 WDF.

Would totally alienate Buck Pierce, who would probably request a trade if Casey returned. In his eyes, he would see this, and rightfully so, as a slap in the face; that Wally thinks he has a better shot of winning with somebody who spent the past two years wearing civvies on gameday.

IMO, there are two places where we will not see Casey sign a contract, both having to do with the QB controversy in 2005: BC (Buono) and Edmonton (Chapdelaine). The other seven franchises have QB's who are one bad game away from creating an open competition.
Gerry
Legend

Hawkballer 14 wrote:Wally is playing with fire for even considering the option of re-signing Printers.

Witness the Rob Murphy interview on The Team 1040; he made it perfectly clear that Printers is not welcome. This from their stud LT who wasn't even here during the Printers saga, who didn't want Casey in the Lions dressing room during the '06 WDF.

Would totally alienate Buck Pierce, who would probably request a trade if Casey returned. In his eyes, he would see this, and rightfully so, as a slap in the face; that Wally thinks he has a better shot of winning with somebody who spent the past two years wearing civvies on gameday.

IMO, there are two places where we will not see Casey sign a contract, both having to do with the QB controversy in 2005: BC (Buono) and Edmonton (Chapdelaine). The other seven franchises have QB's who are one bad game away from creating an open competition.
Agreed.
Blitz
Team Captain

That's what I would have thought too Hawkballer 14 too. Certainly Edmonton will not be on Printers radar screen and I have not one fleck of doubt about that.

However, you have to realize that Printers and Wally got along well, overall. The problems were between Chapdelaine and Printers and that was a one way street by Chapdelaine. Dum as it was for Printers to say it..when he said there were people inside the Leos organization who wanted him to fail. He was talking specifically about Chapdelaine and his vagueness only made it worse. Wally was very supportive of Printers many times. Wally's last discussion with Printers was to offer him a contract to be the starter. He had to have a lot of confidence in Printers to do that with Dickenson here and healthy at the end of that season.

Ackles recruited Printers to the CFL. Printers loved Vancouver. He has a number of friends on the team including Geroy Simon and a number still keep in contact with him. Dickenson also has close friends on the Leos and there are more Leos who have played longer with Dickenson. The situation would be different if Dickenson was not here when/if Printers came back and the situation has been the same vice-versa. They just can't be here at the same time. I just read a thread from the 2005 season where Brent Johnson is saying that he hopes Printers can get back into action soon.

Murph is friends with Dickenson! He'll play for Printers if it was next season! Murphy is only listening to the things that have been said by those that were Dickenson supporters on the team. If Dickenson had left for his NFL stint and Printers had been the guy who remained and played and the team had won a Grey Cup.....and Dickenson had come back for the Western Final for a visit Murphy would have said the same thing!

It's not a huge issue...players play to win and loyalty is to the guys they are going to battle with at the time!! Last season and this season, when Murphy has been here he's gone to battle with Dickenson, Buck, and Jarious and that's where his loyalty is. I admire that... even though he shouldn't have said anything to the press! Sometimes players hate other players guts on opposite teams and then then one gets traded to the other's team and they become best friends!

When Printers was here in 2004 they went to battle with and for him and there were no problems and the offence played hard for Printers in 2005, when he was in there, or our offence wouldn't have moved from fifth to second place during that time.

Wally isn't playing with fire! He's letting his team know that he is considering Printers. If he does decide to sign him or tries to...he's preparing them for that possibility. Players don't make personell decisions or we'd still have Eric Carter and Antonio Warren still playing for us!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hawkballer 14
Champion

So if you're Wally, you'd re-sign Casey?

I wouldn't touch Printers with a ten foot pole. Not unless you're prepared to see DD retire and Buck request a trade.

I don't have access to the Lions locker room, but I'd venture to guess that there is still some animosity towards the way Casey left. The return of Printers and, subsequently, his agent would probably re-open some wounds which have been healed by winning the '06 Grey Cup.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Hawkballer 14 wrote:So if you're Wally, you'd re-sign Casey?

I wouldn't touch Printers with a ten foot pole. Not unless you're prepared to see DD retire and Buck request a trade.

I don't have access to the Lions locker room, but I'd venture to guess that there is still some animosity towards the way Casey left. The return of Printers and, subsequently, his agent would probably re-open some wounds which have been healed by winning the '06 Grey Cup.
It depends. Looking at the offence I have to look to see who was here when CP was with the team.
Reid, Bates and ?Rasouli? on the line
Simon, Clermont, Simmons, Anderson as receivers with Simmons only for a limited time
Lyle Green in the backfield.

So realistically, speaking solely for the offence, that really is only 4 key players (Reid, Bates, Simon and Clermont) that would have any real weight in the discussion. Bates is looking at leaving next year for the Riders. Clermont is undecided at this time. That leaves Reid and Simon for the duration. Even if you factor in Clermont I don't think the 3 of those players would be unprofessional enough to let any negative feelings towards CP they MAY or may not have play a part in how they perform.

It might not be such the "hornet's nest" that everyone thinks. The majority of players that would have issue with Casey from previous years are on defence so realistically, do they factor in as highly?
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Tighthead
Legend

I would resign Casey in a heartbeat.

I am damn sure that Wally is prepared to see DD retire no matter who signs. The writing is on the wall.
Blitz
Team Captain

So realistically, speaking solely for the offence, that really is only 4 key players (Reid, Bates, Simon and Clermont) that would have any real weight in the discussion. Bates is looking at leaving next year for the Riders. Clermont is undecided at this time. That leaves Reid and Simon for the duration. Even if you factor in Clermont I don't think the 3 of those players would be unprofessional enough to let any negative feelings towards CP they MAY or may not have play a part in how they perform.

It might not be such the "hornet's nest" that everyone thinks. The majority of players that would have issue with Casey from previous years are on defence so realistically, do they factor in as highly?
It's not LFITQ as you note! Reid, Dickenson, Buck, and Clermont are close. Geroy and Casey were close as was Jarious Jackson! . It wouldn't be huge at all, as you mention LFITQ. However, it would be a problem if it happened for this season.

That is why Wally said it would be wise for Casey to stay in the NFL for the remainder of the season. Of course it would also help our Leos if he did that because they would be in a much better situation to look back at the overall season before finalizing a decision.... while letting Printers know we don't have SMS room right now... but would be a team interested in his services for next year.

It's never smooth for too long at the quarterback position if a team has a lot of depth. It's different at the quarterback position than other positions. If we decided to go with Buck over Dickenson next year as our starter and Dickenson still wanted to play it wouldn't be smooth! Just the way it is and will always be, in various degrees, when you have good talent at quarterback..and it's also a big contract position in terms of money... that's pro ball!
Last edited by Blitz on Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.