TSN Reports Printers Headed to the CFL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DerekDD
Starter

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=217498&hubname=cfl

Casey Printers heading north

Former BC Lions quarterback Casey Printers may be back in the CFL afterall.

According to CKNW in Vancouver, Printers did not accept a practice roster spot with the Kansas City Chiefs after clearing waivers Sunday. The Chiefs cut the DeSoto, Texas, native on Friday and told him that there would be an offer coming to stay on the practice squad but it couldn't formally be made until today.

CKNW is saying that the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Toronto Argonauts have both contacted the Printers camp in the past 24-hours and the Ticats are prepared to make a serious offer for his services.

There were other NFL teams that expressed interest in him prior to the cut down date, including the Arizona Cardinals, but any team that brought him in at this stage would have to put him on the active roster.

Printers was also cut by the Chiefs last year but was later placed on their practice roster.

His last played in the CFL with the Lions in 2005. His best season came in 2004 when he threw for 5,088 yards and 35 touchdowns while completing 65.8 per cent of his passes. Printers also rushed for 469 yards and nine touchdowns that season.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Has Printers cleared waivers ?
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=217325&hubname=

Former BC Lions quarterback Casey Printers is still considering a practice roster spot with the Kansas City Chiefs who cut him last week.

Printers was offered a spot on the Chiefs practice roster, however the offer could not be formally made until Sunday when he cleared waivers.

Jason Medlock, the agent for the quarterback, told TSN that his client considering all his options, including the spot with the Chiefs, other NFL teams and a return to the CFL.
Rammer
Team Captain

DerekDD wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=217498&hubname=cfl

Casey Printers heading north

Former BC Lions quarterback Casey Printers may be back in the CFL afterall.

According to CKNW in Vancouver, Printers did not accept a practice roster spot with the Kansas City Chiefs after clearing waivers Sunday. The Chiefs cut the DeSoto, Texas, native on Friday and told him that there would be an offer coming to stay on the practice squad but it couldn't formally be made until today.

CKNW is saying that the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Toronto Argonauts have both contacted the Printers camp in the past 24-hours and the Ticats are prepared to make a serious offer for his services.

There were other NFL teams that expressed interest in him prior to the cut down date, including the Arizona Cardinals, but any team that brought him in at this stage would have to put him on the active roster.

Printers was also cut by the Chiefs last year but was later placed on their practice roster.

His last played in the CFL with the Lions in 2005. His best season came in 2004 when he threw for 5,088 yards and 35 touchdowns while completing 65.8 per cent of his passes. Printers also rushed for 469 yards and nine touchdowns that season.
That report doesn't exactly admit what your title suggests, that is premature IMHO. The two lines bolded contradict one another, just poor journalism being done here.
Entertainment value = an all time low
120dB
Legend

First Rick Dhaliwal gives breakin news on 'NW that Printers was cut, then Jim Mullin talks about it on Sportstalk, now you say that it's all hot air and he is staying with KC?

So this Printers talk is just a bunch of hot air I guess? Just some stuff for the media to dish out cause there's no Canucks to talk about, so just dish out a bunch of BS about Printers to get people talking.

Just like when the Premier said he wanted to tear down B.C. Place after 2010. Now that the roof is back up, have you head a peep about that?
Gerry
Legend

Rammer is right. The story does contradict itself. What ever happens, happens, but there's nothing to talk about right now.

In any case, Printers returning to the CFL doesn't mean much to Lion fans unless he signs with Calgary. They're the only team in the west that might be interested right now. If he goes to an eastern team like Hamilton or Toronto, he can't hurt us much unless it's in a Grey Cup, and that's only if he returns to form.
Enough is enough.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

120dB wrote:First Rick Dhaliwal gives breakin news on 'NW that Printers was cut, then Jim Mullin talks about it on Sportstalk, now you say that it's all hot air and he is staying with KC?

So this Printers talk is just a bunch of hot air I guess? Just some stuff for the media to dish out cause there's no Canucks to talk about, so just dish out a bunch of BS about Printers to get people talking.

Just like when the Premier said he wanted to tear down B.C. Place after 2010. Now that the roof is back up, have you head a peep about that?
The only hot air is coming from 120db. Don't you have another sign to make up ?
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Definitely sounds like premature reporting, anticipating a story that might not happen.

Even if Printers does pass up any and all opportunities in the NFL, there is no guarantee he will be as effective in the CFL as he once was.

He would not be the first QB coming from the NFL who has had all creativity drummed out of him by their lock-step, take-no-chances mentality. The most recent example is Akili Smith, once a third-overall pick in the NFL draft, now languishing and struggling with the Stampeders.
DerekDD
Starter

http://tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=217325&hubname=

Sources tell CKNW Radio in Vancouver that quarterback Casey Printers is turning his attention to signing in the Canadian Football League, and a deal could be worked out with a team within the next week.

Printers has denied the report.

"I haven't made any decisions right now as to what I'm going to do," he told TSN on Monday.

"I'm exploring all offers from both NFL and CFL teams - no teams from Canada have made an offer yet - and there's a rumour going out that I'm going to do something in the next 48 hours here in Canada and it's not true."

The 26-year-old was cut by the Kansas City Chiefs over the weekend.

CKNW also reports that four teams have already called Printers' agent Jason Medlock over the weekend, and two teams have directly called Printers himself. The Toronto Argonauts and Hamilton Tiger-Cats confirmed that they have made contact with Printers' camp since his release.

The radio station adds that Printers is looking for a three-year contract in Canada, and offers are expected to be made to his camp in the next 24 hours.

"Right now I'm trying to make the best possible decision that I can make and sit back and allow it to happen," Printers told TSN. "I'm not going to press or try to rush into anything - I'm just going to sit back and make a good sound decision."
LFITQ
Team Captain

DerekDD wrote: Printers has denied the report.

"I haven't made any decisions right now as to what I'm going to do," he told TSN on Monday.
'Nuff said.

This is the one report and the one statement that can be counted on and brings the whole thing to what it really is AT THIS POINT:

MEANINGLESS drivel.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:
DerekDD wrote: Printers has denied the report.

'Nuff said.

This is the one report and the one statement that can be counted on and brings the whole thing to what it really is AT THIS POINT:

MEANINGLESS drivel.
Sources close to CKNW mean one thing and one thing only and you take what this source says to the bank.

I think Farhan Lalji has terrific contact with the Printers camp. Of course, Printers' camp leaks stuff like even governments do and then deny the story.

This gets the team frenzy wanting CP all fired up and listening as each team has a stake in who gets him especially if it is Hamilton and they caught fire and put your team out of the playoffs. How would that look on say Pinball???

As to Rob Murphy, I'd say his comments are typical and expected for a team guy who knows only a bit about the situation before he got here and wants the current crop of players to feel supported by him.

The poster who says that Wally would tell his guys to get over it is spot on. Having said this, I am not sure that BC even now is the best fit for Casey given his history with the HC and the team and the lingering reality that DD is still a factor albeit a bit distant for the time being. Granted BC has new OCs and I think he has no reason to dislike either of them from before. His issues were more likely with JC who is gone.

I am sure he will pick his spot a bit better (but I sure don't think Mr. Meddlelock is the right advisor) than he did with Kansas City. It had no chance written all over it. It looked like a guy getting dumped by an old gf who moved in with a new one far too soon and now is back out there looking for another one. In dating and in life some guys and gals just never learn and think that their past choice was simply a poor selection decision and they go out and repeat the same error all over again.

The decision making in the Printers camp to my mind was suspect when it came clear he chose KC and until we see something better from them this time, there is reason to be suspicious all over again. Why would the guy wait until the CFL is about half over to realize his current date ain't working out and won't work out as she don't like you!!!???

For the league, the best choices are Toronto and Hamilton. This means they dump their no. one guy and move to CP. I am not so sure what is best for Printers though and if he has good advisors who can help him develop an ideal profile of a situation for him and then use that to evaluate the next team. When he was quoted as saying in KC that the President, GM and office sweepers all loved him, I knew then he was thinking wrongly. Who cares what they think. It is the coaches call and old Herman was just wallking in the door and didn't know Casey from the coffee lady.

Printers in BC is not so good for the QB I think has future written all him - Buck Pierce. CP doesn't look to like to share the workload - not sure if this is really fair or not. I like CP and I'd like to see him play in the CFL - just not sure it is the best fit here in BC, but he'd sure fire up the fan base some more and bring more bodies out to see him play.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Rammer
Team Captain

I agree with your post Toppy, and that is difficult to think that CP wouldn't be a good fit here. Can you imagine having him run an offense with the present OL, that could be very interesting.

If you take in CP's concept of himself, TO is where the self marketing money is to be made. All that team needs is the O to get going, although Bishop looks to finally have found his groove, but CP would pay for himself with the extra tickets.

I heard a comparison this morning on BMAC and Rintoul of CP to Bertuzzi if he were to return, it just doesn't fit anymore.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Big Time
Champion

I think TO would be insane to keep Bishop over CP. Bishop has only recently shown starter potential, and he's still only a marginal starter. CP won the MOP in his first year throwing for over 5000 yards and 35 TD's. I don't think Bishop in his dreams could do that. If TO has the cap space, they should be willing to dump whoever is their QB and go with Casey. Ditto for Hamilton.

As for BC, even if DD is coming back, Wally wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't at least inquire about Casey coming back. Fact is DD has been a diminishing return in terms of health. Knee injuries are one thing since he was never all that mobile to begin with. Brain injuries are an entirely different ball game. If Casey is willing to sign and be a team player, than Wally should be willing to sign him and move on from DD. DD was great for the Lions, but you have to think about the long term.