Overtime in the CFL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SJ46
Starter

I was talking to a friend of mine about the great BC - Calgary game that went into OT and he commented that he doesn't like the CFL version of OT, that is each team getting two tries and then it's over. He said he liked it a lot better the way the NFL does it, just playing 15 minutes OT and then it's over.

I got thinking about it and it does seem a lot simpler to just play the 15 minutes and forget all the two-tries-each stuff. What do you think?
SJ46
LFITQ
Team Captain

What I would like to see is each team having to kickoff and each team getting 1 chance to score from the kickoff. That way special teams plays a part in the "festivities" as well.

You could have each team kickoff from their goal line if you want to increase the chances of scoring by the offence.

The only thing I am not fussy on with the CFL OT is the lack of action for the Special Teams. They play such an important and distinct part of the CFL it just seems wrong not to have them involved in some way.

But I am NOT for the idea of having an OT like the NFL where it is Sudden Death. Too many times it was determined by the coin toss rather than the play and other times it seems to be far too drawn out.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
cromartie
Hall of Famer

SJ46 wrote:I was talking to a friend of mine about the great BC - Calgary game that went into OT and he commented that he doesn't like the CFL version of OT, that is each team getting two tries and then it's over. He said he liked it a lot better the way the NFL does it, just playing 15 minutes OT and then it's over.

I got thinking about it and it does seem a lot simpler to just play the 15 minutes and forget all the two-tries-each stuff. What do you think?
I think your friend needs to watch an NFL game.

They don't play one full 15 minute OT. They play in a 15 minute OT until someone scores. First to score wins. Only after the full 15 minutes are up is a game a tie. (Playoff games, obviously, go on until someone wins). This leads to occasions where a team gives up a score and loses without having the chance to go on offense at all, which stinks when it happens to your team (though it happens less often than you might think). A fair amount of NFL fans don't like the overtime setup either.

All told, I actually like the CFL's take on it, which is a sane modification on how the NCAA does it. In the NCAA, you play until there's a winner, although a few years ago they modified that rule so that after I think three OTs you have to go for a two point conversion after a TD. Though I agree with LFITQ that it's unfortunate the kickoff and punt return portion of Special Teams gets left out.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I too am not enamored with the NFL's overtime. Too many times the games being decided by the coin toss. Each team should have an opportunity to win the game.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:But I am NOT for the idea of having an OT like the NFL where it is Sudden Death. Too many times it was determined by the coin toss rather than the play and other times it seems to be far too drawn out.
Agreed. In this respect, I like the CFL OT format much better. The previous CFL OT format, with two 5-minute halves and no sudden death, was also fairer as each team could elect to receive a kickoff to start the OT half.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:I too am not enamored with the NFL's overtime. Too many times the games being decided by the coin toss. Each team should have an opportunity to win the game.
You can dig this up over at Football Outsiders, but I post it here because it's relevant:

Remember, there’s nothing inherently advantageous to getting the ball first in sudden-death overtime. This weekend, for example, two of three teams that lost the toss ended up winning the game. But, although the margin is small, there is a definite advantage to winning the toss. Going into this season, there had been 342 overtime games in NFL history. Of those games, 177 times (51.8%) the team that won the toss won the game, 149 times (43.6%) the team that lost the toss won the game, and 16 games (4.7%) ended tied.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

A few days ago they brought up the overtime issue.. RinTOOL was mentioning that he didn't like the current format. Why? Because right off the bat the team is pretty much in field goal range.. a 52 yarder. :bang:
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

The old incarnation of CFL OT was by far the best. Two 5 minute halves was a much fairer way to decide things. It allowed both teams to utilize all facets of their roster to get a win. The NFL version is way too weighted in favor of the team who wins the coin toss and the current version of CFL OT has too much of a chance for a tie...hell, we've already had two ties this year and the season isn't even half over yet. Ties in football have to be the most unsatisfying thing in the world. I really wish they would go back to they way they had it before, it provided much more action and usually resulted in a decision rather than a tie which should be the main purpose of OT in the first place.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

how bout 5 minute overtime and field goals.. jk
2012 Season Ticket Holder
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lionheart wrote:A few days ago they brought up the overtime issue.. RinTOOL was mentioning that he didn't like the current format. Why? Because right off the bat the team is pretty much in field goal range.. a 52 yarder. :bang:
I agree with Rintoul. I would like them to scrimmage on the 50 yard line.
almo89
Legend

Dan_Payne_fan!! wrote:how bout 5 minute overtime and field goals.. jk
haha that's awesome.

I don't mind the current OT, but it can be tweaked. I wish they start from their own 35 or something. At least they have to try moving the ball. Right now it's like one first down and you can already kick the field goal. A kickoff by both teams sounds best to me.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Put me down in favour of the previous CFL OT rules with two five minute halves, each with a one-minute warning. It preserves pretty much all of the features of the regulation portion of the game.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Canuck_4_Life
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:
Dan_Payne_fan!! wrote:how bout 5 minute overtime and field goals.. jk
haha that's awesome.

I don't mind the current OT, but it can be tweaked. I wish they start from their own 35 or something. At least they have to try moving the ball. Right now it's like one first down and you can already kick the field goal. A kickoff by both teams sounds best to me.
Keep the same rules, except start at midfield.
Rammer
Team Captain

LFITQ wrote:What I would like to see is each team having to kickoff and each team getting 1 chance to score from the kickoff. That way special teams plays a part in the "festivities" as well.

You could have each team kickoff from their goal line if you want to increase the chances of scoring by the offence.

The only thing I am not fussy on with the CFL OT is the lack of action for the Special Teams. They play such an important and distinct part of the CFL it just seems wrong not to have them involved in some way.

But I am NOT for the idea of having an OT like the NFL where it is Sudden Death. Too many times it was determined by the coin toss rather than the play and other times it seems to be far too drawn out.
I think that we discussed this aspect previously and that makes the most sense to me as well. The GL KO would make the expected average return sit around the 40, which gives a +/- of 10 yards pending a solid return. In fact it seems so simple to do, get it done CFL.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

sj-roc wrote:Put me down in favour of the previous CFL OT rules with two five minute halves, each with a one-minute warning. It preserves pretty much all of the features of the regulation portion of the game.

:wss: