Grizzlies down to 1000 season ticket holders and $ 5 tickets

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

GeroySimonFAN
All Star

120dB wrote:How's the situation in New Orleans with the Hornets? So aren't we talking about TWO badly, and I mean badly not just borderline like Portland, limping franchises?

I understand the NBA's reluctance to move New Orleans as it's not fair to the residents there. But will the Hornets be playing the entire season there now?
I really think Portland is on the rise now because of getting Oden with the #1 pick. The Christmas day game is Seattle at Portland. If Seattle remains in the Northwest region then i can see a huge rivalry between Portland and Seattle. It makes much more sense for the Sonics to remain in Seattle than move to OKC.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

120dB wrote:yeah Mr. Heisley you're doing amazingly well in Memphis aren't you? You're at about 1000 season ticket holders and you're selling some tickets for $ 5.

I'd say if people don't wanna spend $ 5 to go to one of your games, your franchise may be in just a little bit of trouble...

How about moving the Grizzlies back to Vancouver? Are there efforts going on behind the scenes to do this?
Someone want to cite a print story source of this?
cromartie
Hall of Famer

GeroySimonFAN wrote: I really think Portland is on the rise now because of getting Oden with the #1 pick. The Christmas day game is Seattle at Portland. If Seattle remains in the Northwest region then i can see a huge rivalry between Portland and Seattle. It makes much more sense for the Sonics to remain in Seattle than move to OKC.
Except that the ownership group is from Oklahoma City, expects to move the team to a new arena in Oklahoma City, and David Stern likes Oklahoma City as a market.

And Key Arena is 30 years old.

Next, plan on moving the Sacramento Kings to Las Vegas.
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote: And Key Arena is 30 years old.

Yes and no. The original coliseum was built in '62 for the Worlds Fair and was a one level bowl configuration. It was completly gutted and rebuilt within the same footprint in '94-95 (The Sonics played home games that year in the Tacoma Dome). So the arena itself is only 12 years old. The problem is mainly that the Sonics get no concession or parking revenue, and the cut they get from suites is very very minimal as well.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
GeroySimonFAN
All Star

cromartie wrote:
GeroySimonFAN wrote: I really think Portland is on the rise now because of getting Oden with the #1 pick. The Christmas day game is Seattle at Portland. If Seattle remains in the Northwest region then i can see a huge rivalry between Portland and Seattle. It makes much more sense for the Sonics to remain in Seattle than move to OKC.
Except that the ownership group is from Oklahoma City, expects to move the team to a new arena in Oklahoma City, and David Stern likes Oklahoma City as a market.

If David Stern really likes OKC as a market then he should have made the Hornets stay in OKC rather than going back to New Orleans...

The Sonics will make more money playing in Seattle...while OKC is growing so is the Seattle Area - Have you driven through Bellevue lately? Cranes everywhere.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

GeroySimonFAN wrote:
cromartie wrote:

If David Stern really likes OKC as a market then he should have made the Hornets stay in OKC rather than going back to New Orleans...

The Sonics will make more money playing in Seattle...while OKC is growing so is the Seattle Area - Have you driven through Bellevue lately? Cranes everywhere.
Exactly, by their own admission the Sonics ownership group admits that more money can be had in Seattle and would be happy to just break even in OKC. That's pretty damn embarrassing if you ask me and if David Stern allows that to happen after that piece of information became public than he's just as much to blame as these thieves from OKC are for the Sonics' demise.
120dB
Legend

The info I heard on 1040 after Tony Gallagher was on. 1500 season ticket holders and $ 5 tickets. That's pretty sick.

Seattle is now getting a taste of the anger and resentment our city experienced when our team was stolen from us.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
120dB wrote:yeah Mr. Heisley you're doing amazingly well in Memphis aren't you? You're at about 1000 season ticket holders and you're selling some tickets for $ 5.

I'd say if people don't wanna spend $ 5 to go to one of your games, your franchise may be in just a little bit of trouble...

How about moving the Grizzlies back to Vancouver? Are there efforts going on behind the scenes to do this?
Someone want to cite a print story source of this?
I did find this...
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... 19rafters/
"We have, over the years, done a lot of programs to either try to create excitement -- improve the atmosphere up there -- or sell it on affordability," O'Connor said. "We have full season ticket packs starting at $225, which is $5 a game. There's not a lot you can do in this day and age for $5."