Maybe OT?: Moj and Julio heated argument on air?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Noodles
Rookie

i just caught the pratt and taylor show on sportsnet and right before they broke off to end the tv segment they mentioned something about moj and julio (forgot his last name) in some kind of heated argument on air? i'm not sure if this is offtopic but considering that julio does the lions games i'm guessing it has to do with the lions.

anyways, what was said?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Didn't hear it, but on Saturday morning on the football show on Team 1040, I think the Moj was joking with Guilio Carravatta (sp) about being heavy- it was something carried over from the post game show the night before but it was all just friendly banter unless AFTER the segment, there was something off air, but Gulio would have had to call back. I think the Moj was saying that Guilio was 294 and Guilio responded by saying that that was code for calling him fat. It was funny and Guilio was self-deprecating with his mention of summer and winter type clothes with Chris Burns chiming in about his size and kidding that the Moj was saying the guy was fat. I thought it was light hearted fun and I can't think of a time since last Saturday that the two of these guys were on the air together.

If there is bad blood it is with Pratt being a big baby and refusing to go on the Rick Ball show when the Moj is sitting in to chat and review his show coming up as he does when any other announcer is in that slot!!! Now that is simply childish, not to mention unprofessional. Most of us have worked with people we disliked but I am sure none of us would sulk and say we won't have anything to do with someone when it is a job requirement. I could have put a top ten list of people I'd like to boot down the stairs during my executive days but you just sucked it up and did your job.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Tighthead
Legend

It was all in good fun. Giulio's big beef was "you don't go after another big man - I can take it from a skinny guy, but not another fat bald guy".

Moj did his bit on Friday afternoon, Giulio responded on the post game, and they were on air together the next day. It was all good natured and taken in good humour. Pratt was joking that Giulio came within an ace of saying "fat ****" and losing his job.

Toppy, I thought it interesting that Pratt acknowledged and played Moj on his show yesterday. Maybe things are settling down there.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:It was all in good fun. Giulio's big beef was "you don't go after another big man - I can take it from a skinny guy, but not another fat bald guy".

Moj did his bit on Friday afternoon, Giulio responded on the post game, and they were on air together the next day. It was all good natured and taken in good humour. Pratt was joking that Giulio came within an ace of saying "fat ****" and losing his job.

Toppy, I thought it interesting that Pratt acknowledged and played Moj on his show yesterday. Maybe things are settling down there.
If that is the case, I withdraw my criticism of Pratt. I do like Pratt and Moj and that entire group. Yes, you got that line quoted right and it is a funny one!!! I think part of the humour was the Moj saying he didn't call Guilio fat, he just said Guilio was 294 which came back from Guilio as being code for calling a guy fat!

It definitely would have been a funny repeat if you heard the whole thing.
hexx

Pratt did acknowledge that Moj actually works at the same station, I think that's a first in a long time. Gotta get those two back in the studio together, imo the hatred made for great radio.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

A/CD/C Rocks, SMphantom and myself along with 50 hopefuls for the 1040.00 prize were in attendance at the post game wrap at the Edgewater. Guillio did call out the Moj who was sitting rinside. Very funny schtick. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
smphantom
Legend

Ballistic Bob wrote:A/CD/C Rocks, SMphantom and myself along with 50 hopefuls for the 1040.00 prize were in attendance at the post game wrap at the Edgewater. Guillio did call out the Moj who was sitting rinside. Very funny schtick. BB
Yes, Guilio and Moj were teasing each other about their weight. It went back to a show earlier last week on air. Now, was it before or after Bob and Greg let Moj take my seat when I had gone to the can...... :roll:
Stay thirsty my friends.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

smphantom wrote:
Ballistic Bob wrote:A/CD/C Rocks, SMphantom and myself along with 50 hopefuls for the 1040.00 prize were in attendance at the post game wrap at the Edgewater. Guillio did call out the Moj who was sitting rinside. Very funny schtick. BB
Yes, Guilio and Moj were teasing each other about their weight. It went back to a show earlier last week on air. Now, was it before or after Bob and Greg let Moj take my seat when I had gone to the can...... :roll:
It was the Rick Ball show Friday with the Moj hosting. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Yeah, it was regarding the Tackle Hunger thing where every QB sack would donate X number of lbs. in food based on the QB's weight. Moj joked that if you threw Guilio under center and got him sacked a few times it would be great for charity. It was pretty funny.

What's the beef between Moj and Pratt though? I'm not much of a Pratt fan to be honest.
hexx

Moj was the original host on the Team 1040 when it first switched to all-sports back in 2001. Pratt came on board in 2002 and they co-hosted the afternoon show "Dave and the Moj" until early 2004. Unlike the current format where Don Taylor is little more than a yes man, there was lots of animosity and unscripted debate between the two hosts. When Moj left for Mojo 730, Pratt took personal shots at Moj in the media, which many thought was classless. Since 730 dropped the sports format last year, Moj returned to 1040 selling his own air time on weekends but has been slowly brought back into the fold as a fill-in host and doing Lions post-game. The other day was the first time Pratt actually acknowledged that Moj works at the station, though.

Click here for a 2005 Vancouver Courier article about the feud.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

hexx wrote:Moj was the original host on the Team 1040 when it first switched to all-sports back in 2001. Pratt came on board in 2002 and they co-hosted the afternoon show "Dave and the Moj" until early 2004. Unlike the current format where Don Taylor is little more than a yes man, there was lots of animosity and unscripted debate between the two hosts. When Moj left for Mojo 730, Pratt took personal shots at Moj in the media, which many thought was classless. Since 730 dropped the sports format last year, Moj returned to 1040 selling his own air time on weekends but has been slowly brought back into the fold as a fill-in host and doing Lions post-game. The other day was the first time Pratt actually acknowledged that Moj works at the station, though.

Thanks for the rundown. I never listened to 1040 and would only listen to MOJO and I was always a huge fan of The Sports Zone, I thought Moj's shows were enjoyable and his Super Bowl coverage was excellent. I'm not surprised Pratt was an ass, he still is and he was the main reason why I never once turned my dial to 1040 while MOJO was around. Sadly, with the demise of MOJO I had no choice and if I wanted sports coverage that was the only place to go. I was really happy when Moj made his comeback with 1040 because he was always my favorite host to listen to, but it's not the same when he's not doing his own show and instead filling in for others. I would love to see him get a regular weekly show instead of being stuck on Saturdays (where I think he does a good job with) but I don't see that happening unless he were to take over the late night slot because Rick Ball and Pratt & Taylor won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

No Ordinary Joe wrote:
hexx wrote:Moj was the original host on the Team 1040 when it first switched to all-sports back in 2001. Pratt came on board in 2002 and they co-hosted the afternoon show "Dave and the Moj" until early 2004. Unlike the current format where Don Taylor is little more than a yes man, there was lots of animosity and unscripted debate between the two hosts. When Moj left for Mojo 730, Pratt took personal shots at Moj in the media, which many thought was classless. Since 730 dropped the sports format last year, Moj returned to 1040 selling his own air time on weekends but has been slowly brought back into the fold as a fill-in host and doing Lions post-game. The other day was the first time Pratt actually acknowledged that Moj works at the station, though.

Thanks for the rundown. I never listened to 1040 and would only listen to MOJO and I was always a huge fan of The Sports Zone, I thought Moj's shows were enjoyable and his Super Bowl coverage was excellent. I'm not surprised Pratt was an ass, he still is and he was the main reason why I never once turned my dial to 1040 while MOJO was around. Sadly, with the demise of MOJO I had no choice and if I wanted sports coverage that was the only place to go. I was really happy when Moj made his comeback with 1040 because he was always my favorite host to listen to, but it's not the same when he's not doing his own show and instead filling in for others. I would love to see him get a regular weekly show instead of being stuck on Saturdays (where I think he does a good job with) but I don't see that happening unless he were to take over the late night slot because Rick Ball and Pratt & Taylor won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
Your take on the Moj is the same as mine and I did listen to the two of them together. What I felt Pratt didn't do was acknowledge that the Moj brought with him an athlete and coach's perspective as he has played and coached football at a high level and also was a high level lacrosse player so he knows sports. Pratt is broadcaster with no high level sports experience and comes up with theories that at times sound good but don't stand up to much scrutiny but he sure sounds good spouting them off.

I did like the Moj's constant string of interviews and they went on and on each day of his show with varied guests and all sports and leagues with the exception of the NBA which he pretty much didn't cover at any depth. Now that he is just filling in spots except for his Saturday show in the morning, he is like the rest with fewer interviews than before primarily as he has no show of his own and a producer lining up the people.
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Whatever it is it's overblown as a little while ago I heard Moj recount a story.. "when Pratt and I were at the restaurant eating our steaks blah blah blah..etc.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I heard both "episodes" when they happened... the "argument" was all good-natured ribbing, as was Pratt's talking about it afterwards.
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
Leo_on_Rideau
Champion

Giulio Caravatta is 294?! When did he put it all on?

I met him once -- in his playing days -- and he didn't look like he had the frame for it!