the P word

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Herm Edwards.....google two words..boring and offence and you'll see Herm Edwards picture!! :wink:

The man was born without the gene Xi7s...which means it is impossible for him to have any imagination! :roll:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Leo_on_Rideau
Champion

I saw Printers highlights and thought he looked pretty solid.

How much of Printers' lack of development in the NFL is his own fault, and how much is from the usual NFL snobbery against CFL players?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Leo_on_Rideau wrote:I saw Printers highlights and thought he looked pretty solid.

How much of Printers' lack of development in the NFL is his own fault, and how much is from the usual NFL snobbery against CFL players?
Last year he got tossed in and it made him look bad as there were injuries and even his coach said it was unfair but they had no choice in pre-season.

In Printers' case I don't think it has much to do with snobbery. He is still there. It is factor that every coach in sport has his/her own views of makes a good player. Some will favour athleticism and some will shun that in favour of a guy who may be a lesser athlete but super at reading defences. It is like beauty. It is all in the eye of the beholder and sometimes all see it the same way, at other times they don't. They must see some potential as he is still there.

What I heard Pratt say is that it is likely that free agent Printers will return to the CFL next year and that Toronto would make good sense. Who knows if that will play out that way or if Printers will see the CFL as an option without first tasting real live NFL action. It'd be clearer if he was surrounded by sane thinking advice.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
LFITQ
Team Captain

An interesting tidbit from our friend LU and his blog ...
Lowell Ullrich wrote: Sorry to bring up the past here, but think back to a couple of seasons ago, when Casey Printers had turf toe and wouldn't go for the Lions, let alone practice.
This was in an article entitled "In Praise of Buck".
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Tighthead
Legend

LFITQ - I saw that, but in fairness to CP, the severity of the injuries may be completely different. Of course, LU is pretty plugged in and sensible, so he may in fact be comparing apples to apples.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Leo_on_Rideau wrote:I saw Printers highlights and thought he looked pretty solid.

If there was snobbery against CFL players guys like Printers wouldn't get the opportunity in the first place. Would it make sense to offer CP a contract with portions of it guaranteed if they didn't think he had the potential to make it? It's a much different situation in KC this season. Last year they had 2 veteran QBs in Green and Huard. After signing CP they also picked up Brodie Croyle in the draft. Also they signed Printers before Edwards was hired as HC. Even then the New York Jets didn't seem to be too adverse at trying CFL players while Edwards was HC there. Ricky Ray, Kenton Keith and I think Brett Ralph all were signed by the Jets. The reality is once a player is in camp the coaching staff could give a rat's behind where he played last. They look strictly at what they think Player A can bring to their organization versus Player B.

Sometimes things change between the time the CFL player is signed and the opening of camp. The option year window opens and closes prior to the NFL Draft. A CFL player lands the NFL contract then in the draft a player of the same position falls into that team's lap in the draft. It happened to Dickenson in San Diego. He signed with the Chargers then later in the draft Drew Brees fell into the Charger's lap being still available at the start of the second round. This year Green is gone leaving just Croyle and Huard ahead of Printers on the depth chart. That helps get him more reps and more quality reps than his situation last year would've allowed. If snobbery was a factor he would've been released in the offseason. But he's still there and has a year under his belt in the Chief system. He looks ready to make more his opportunity this year than he was last year. Really that's what it's all about. Getting a chance to play. As long as he's on the roster he's only an injury or two and/or some ineffectiveness away from getting that chance. Then it will be up to him to seize the opportunity.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blitz
Team Captain

The fact is that Printers played better than Brody Coyle in exhibition play last season. However Croyle was put higher on the depth chart because he was a high draft choice for the Chiefs as a quarterback and he'll have to play himself out of the backup spot.

If Printers wants to maake it down there he'll have to be very patient. Printers also likes to scramble. It may be effective at times but NFL coaches don't like it. They want stand and deliver. Besides, it doesn't follow the lines drawn up in the playbook and that drives highly structured coaches crazy, even though most big plays come off something that isn't drawn up exactly in the playbook.

It kind of reminds me of old military tactics...where battle plans had to be followed precisely, even when the human cost was high and the plan wasn't working. Guerilla tactics, which are most successful, allow for more adjustment on the fly, and allow for more flexibility.

Coaches want players to be programmed and not really think for themselves. Structure is essential but some built in flexibility can be the difference between winning and losing. It's all a question of philosophy but the NFL is a very conservative game.

Right now, in the NFL, we're seeing some very young coaches come into the game...in New York and Pittsberg for example. The game needs some shaking awaY from 'systems' that have been around forever and young minds can be more innovative.

It's easy to forget that Wally and Hufnagel and Mathews were very successful young coaches and they did things differently when they first were given opportunity!!

Getting back to Printers...Huard is older and Printers, if things work out will be the backup to Croyle, someday, in the future. Then, he'll only be one play away from getting his big chance!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)