Barry Bonds 756

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

mightybuck
Legend

Ok - I am a SF Giants fan and excited for Bonds tonight. Tonight I am in Mobile, Alabama on vacation and sat in Hank Aaron stadium across from the 755 clubhouse section watching a minor league game. Left the game in 6th inning and went back to the house and watched Bonds hit 756 - pretty cool - Hank Aaron is from Mobile.
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

i watched it tonight. it was pretty neat to see it when it happened
2012 Season Ticket Holder
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I really could care less about that egotistical, condescending and classless Bonds. The only good thing is that we don't have to listen and watch about the Bond Watch every night on television.
Tighthead
Legend

Sounds more like you couldn't care less
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:Sounds more like you couldn't care less
You're absolutely correct :wink: :wink: I really could care less about this prima donna. :wink:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It sounds like Aaron gave a gracious video tribute to Bonds. Classy celebration all around. I'm happy for Bonds and Giants fans everywhere. I work with several people who have followed the team for years, and who get to games in San Francisco when they can.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Several observations:

#1.
Like Gretzky's 802nd goal but unlike McGwire's 62nd home run, Barry Bonds' 756th home run came in a losing cause as the Giants allowed the Washington Nationals to score four runs in the eighth inning to lose the game 8-6.

#2.
Unlike on September 8, 1998 when Mark McGwire hit his 62nd home run to break Roger Maris' then-record for HR's in a season but like on October 5, 2001 when Barry Bonds broke McGwire's record with his 71st home run, none of the Nationals infielders directly congratulated Bonds by giving him high fives as he circled the bases, although Nationals pitcher Mike Bacsik did tip his hat to him.

#3.
With this new record, it's almost certain that Barry Bonds will be the Dan Marino of the MLB with a fabulous career but no championship. With the Giants at the bottom of the NL west and unlikely making the playoffs, I wonder if Bonds will request a trade to a division leading team to get a final chance to win the elusive World Series - the missing link to his great career.
CartWheelFan
All Star

I'm just glad it's over with so we can all start not caring.

Whatever record Bonds ends up with when he retires, it's sure to be broken by A-Rod (although I'd rather see Ken Griffey Jr. break it, but he's likely not going to be healthy enough years to get it done)

All I am curious about is what the guy who ended up with the homerun ball gets for it.
GeroySimonFAN
All Star

glad to see its finally over with. i was getting very tired of hearing bonds this bonds that every freaking night of the week...
lion24
Legend

Bonds now follows in the footsteps of players like Ty Cobb, Pete Rose, etc. who were world class athletes and equally world class jerks!!
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Robbie
Hall of Famer

lion24 wrote:Bonds now follows in the footsteps of players like Ty Cobb, Pete Rose, etc. who were world class athletes and equally world class jerks!!
Are there any CFL equivalents? Who are some past CFL greats who did great on the field but are jerks off the field?
MacNews
Team Captain

I read an article on TSN that said McGwire's ball in 1996 fetched $3 million, but "experts" said this ball would only get aroung $500,000. I guess steroids really do shrink balls! :wink:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

MacNews wrote:I read an article on TSN that said McGwire's ball in 1996 fetched $3 million, but "experts" said this ball would only get aroung $500,000. I guess steroids really do shrink balls! :wink:
I believe you mean McGwire's ball in 1998.

Also, Barry Bonds' 71st and 73rd home run balls in 2001 didn't go for that much either.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
MacNews wrote:I read an article on TSN that said McGwire's ball in 1996 fetched $3 million, but "experts" said this ball would only get aroung $500,000. I guess steroids really do shrink balls! :wink:
I believe you mean McGwire's ball in 1998.

Also, Barry Bonds' 71st and 73rd home run balls in 2001 didn't go for that much either.
ESPN2 had a guy from a major sports memorabilia company on this morning say the ball would be worth only about $350K, but he could be trying to low ball the guy as his company is likely the one who will buy it. But the guy's advice was "sell it quick" because the real valuable ball will be the last home run Bonds hits in his career.
ThreeTimesOneMinusOne
Champion

Robbie wrote:Several observations:

#1.
Like Gretzky's 802nd goal but unlike McGwire's 62nd home run, Barry Bonds' 756th home run came in a losing cause as the Giants allowed the Washington Nationals to score four runs in the eighth inning to lose the game 8-6.
Yeah, the Canucks won that game 6-3, so everybody won in that case. I was in California with my family on vacation at the time of that goal, but around Frisco, not LA. I do remember that when we got to Frisco and we got to the Holiday Inn that we were staying at, we turned the TV on and saw the end of the Kings/Sharks game and we got to see Gretzky get goal #801. I think it tied the game, very late in the 3rd. According to shrpsports.com , the score of that game was 6-6.