Would be punter tries to kill the starter

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

from the Edmonton Sun

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Footb ... 1-sun.html

Girlfriend admits she lied for punter

By AP

GREELEY, Colo. -- A woman who dated a Northern Colorado backup punter accused of trying to kill the starter testified yesterday she lied to police at his request.

At first, Angela Vogel told police Mitch Cozad was with her at the time starter Rafael Mendoza was stabbed, but she said she quickly regretted that lie and 15 minutes later told investigators Cozad had left for part of the evening.

Cozad, of Wheatland, Wyo., is on trial on charges of attempted first-degree murder and second-degree assault in the Mendoza stabbing last Sept. 11.

Police and prosecutors have alleged Cozad attacked Mendoza in a bid to get the starter's job.

Vogel said Cozad led her to believe that a player had been jumped by a group of people, and she didn't learn Mendoza had been stabbed until police interviewed her the next day.

"I didn't know what was going on," she said. "I was lying to the cops."

Who would have thought being a punter was a job to kill for?

Many years ago Tony Martino was a student of mine, although "student" does not really describe him. In a written response for a CFL player profile when he was the punter for the Stampeders he wrote: "I due punts."

I could tell you some more hilarious stories about Tony, but this is a family rated website. Tony is not the only punter or kicker who would qualify as a flake.

Garo Yepremian? Duncan O'Mahony?
hexx

kind of an old story..

and let's not confuse being a little flaky with being homicidal/psychotic...
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Reminds me of Tonya Harding vs. Nancy Kerrigan
Soundy
Hall of Famer

Well, they're no rocket scientists...
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.