Jamal Johnson Has Broken Arm

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Jamal Johnson has a broken arm! He broke the arm in the third quarter against the Riders, went out for three plays, and returned to make tackles on both defense and special teams!
Jamal had a cast on his arm at practiced but his possible loss hurts! Of course Jamal is my fav. defensive player so it's even worse!

In Lowell Ullrich's blog it was mentioned that Lowell had planned to ask Wally why he wasn't playing Johnson in the middle due to his excellent run stopping ability. It's a great question, noting how good Javy is at blitzing and pass coverage (he's exceptional at pass coverage) but teams have been able to run against us if they get past our first defensive layer. Lumsden and Cates both had more than 100 yards against our "D" in the last two games. I wish the Leos, when Johnson returns, will use Johnson in the middle with Glatt and Otis outside in the three linebacker set and then go with Glatt and Floyd in the two linebacker set, with Johnson giving one of them a spell, once in a while.

No doubt Jamal has made an impression so far this season, both on defense and special teams where he leads the league in tackles. Otis Floyd is 85% and looks like they'll play him on Friday night, although he could still use another game to heal up. However, Pottinger has not impressed and the Leos will likely activate Hannah and use him over Pottinger in the three linebacker set against Winnipeg.

With Dickenson and Simmons out on offence, with Buck and Sherko still hurting, and with Marsh, J. Johnson, Clovis, and still possibly Banks out on defense and Otis Floyd and Washington nicked the injuries continue to be a serious challenge. However, better to have them now than later, and hope the string has run it's course and will not continue!

Wally is going to go with Buck against Winnipeg, even though Buck's toe is still bothering him. I would have preferred we start Jarious, have a different game plan, and come in with Buck if necessary! Having Buck longer term is more important than a single game or two but that's not the way it's looking right now!

In the meantime, kudos to Jamal for his toughness in playing with a broken arm against the Riders and wanting to play with it on Friday night. It's that kind of 'want to win' attitude that needs to infect our offence right now!!
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

Lowell and you have got it right Blitz, as Javy's natural position is at outside linebacker where he can utilize his exceptional cover ability and prevent mismatches, which opposing Qbs like to get on a slower less skilled linebackers.

Jamal is more at home in the middle where he can take out some of that focused aggression on running backs who like to exploit any hole up inside.

I also agree that JJ should be given a second look this Friday where we could return to a successful ground campaign again, saving BP for next weeks game, and resting his toe so he may be more mobile again.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
jlh2640
Rookie

Blitz wrote:Jamal Johnson has a broken arm! He broke the arm in the third quarter against the Riders, went out for three plays, and returned to make tackles on both defense and special teams!
Jamal had a cast on his arm at practiced but his possible loss hurts! Of course Jamal is my fav. defensive player so it's even worse!

In Lowell Ullrich's blog it was mentioned that Lowell had planned to ask Wally why he wasn't playing Johnson in the middle due to his excellent run stopping ability. It's a great question, noting how good Javy is at blitzing and pass coverage (he's exceptional at pass coverage) but teams have been able to run against us if they get past our first defensive layer. Lumsden and Cates both had more than 100 yards against our "D" in the last two games. I wish the Leos, when Johnson returns, will use Johnson in the middle with Glatt and Otis outside in the three linebacker set and then go with Glatt and Floyd in the two linebacker set, with Johnson giving one of them a spell, once in a while.

No doubt Jamal has made an impression so far this season, both on defense and special teams where he leads the league in tackles. Otis Floyd is 85% and looks like they'll play him on Friday night, although he could still use another game to heal up. However, Pottinger has not impressed and the Leos will likely activate Hannah and use him over Pottinger in the three linebacker set against Winnipeg.

With Dickenson and Simmons out on offence, with Buck and Sherko still hurting, and with Marsh, J. Johnson, Clovis, and still possibly Banks out on defense and Otis Floyd and Washington nicked the injuries continue to be a serious challenge. However, better to have them now than later, and hope the string has run it's course and will not continue!

Wally is going to go with Buck against Winnipeg, even though Buck's toe is still bothering him. I would have preferred we start Jarious, have a different game plan, and come in with Buck if necessary! Having Buck longer term is more important than a single game or two but that's not the way it's looking right now!

In the meantime, kudos to Jamal for his toughness in playing with a broken arm against the Riders and wanting to play with it on Friday night. It's that kind of 'want to win' attitude that needs to infect our offence right now!!

teams are running against you because Javy Glatt is overrated and is no means Barrin simpson. now your starting to see how terrible he is at times
Grade 10 is way harder than grade 9
LFITQ
Team Captain

jlh2640 wrote:
Blitz wrote:Jamal Johnson has a broken arm! He broke the arm in the third quarter against the Riders, went out for three plays, and returned to make tackles on both defense and special teams!

teams are running against you because Javy Glatt is overrated and is no means Barrin simpson. now your starting to see how terrible he is at times
What's the matter jlh2640 ...

Riderfans won't let you play in their sandbox anymore??? Go find a bridge.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
jlh2640
Rookie

LFITQ wrote:
jlh2640 wrote:

What's the matter jlh2640 ...

Riderfans won't let you play in their sandbox anymore??? Go find a bridge.
nah i just dont think Javy Glatt is that good. hes cocky and everyone thinks "ohhh he replaced Barrin Simpson and he is canadian he is awesome".

but really he doesnt make that many plays
MacNews
Team Captain

jlh2640 wrote:but really he doesnt make that many plays
He made a nice INT-return TD against you guys in Regina.
jlh2640
Rookie

MacNews wrote:
granted it was garbage time, true. But i just think he doesnt excell as everyone else thinks he does.
LFITQ
Team Captain

jlh2640 wrote:
MacNews wrote:
granted it was garbage time, true. But i just think he doesnt excell as everyone else thinks he does.
Anytime we play the Riders it is garbage time.
LFITQ
Team Captain

Team 1040 just announced that Johnson is NOT going to be dressed this week vs. the bombers. :sigh:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I seemed to remember that Glatt did pretty well against the Riders in last year's Western Final 45-18 :roll:
maddeep73
Champion

By my count he made about 120 last year. That is if you include 82 tackles, 4 picks, 6 sacks, countless knock downs and pressures etc. All this guy does is make plays. Canadian, American, French, Russian or Chinese, this kid is a player.

As for your point that we are happy because he replaced Barrin Simpson? You are correct. Glatt is unselfish, team first, positive and a WINNER. (Check his Grey Cup Ring for proof, and while your there, ask Montreal if he makes plays, one certainly comes to mind on a certain goal line stand).

Simpson can take his attitude all the way to a first round playoff exit and a runner up finish to a Mr. Brent Johnson for D-man of the year.

Glatt doesn't make plays?? Next thing you're going to say is that the Roughies are going to host the Western Final. Geez.
Keepin' it real
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

maddeep73 wrote:
By my count he made about 120 last year. That is if you include 82 tackles, 4 picks, 6 sacks, countless knock downs and pressures etc. All this guy does is make plays. Canadian, American, French, Russian or Chinese, this kid is a player.

As for your point that we are happy because he replaced Barrin Simpson? You are correct. Glatt is unselfish, team first, positive and a WINNER. (Check his Grey Cup Ring for proof, and while your there, ask Montreal if he makes plays, one certainly comes to mind on a certain goal line stand).

Simpson can take his attitude all the way to a first round playoff exit and a runner up finish to a Mr. Brent Johnson for D-man of the year.

Glatt doesn't make plays?? Next thing you're going to say is that the Roughies are going to host the Western Final. Geez.
:whs: The B.C. defence improved from third to first in the league when Glatt took over from Simpson. Glatt had more tackles and better stats in 2006 than Simpson had in his final year as a Lion in 2005. Glatt also is an every-down defender because he can play the pass, something Simpson couldn't or wouldn't do in Dave Ritchie's system.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I hope Simpson leads the CFL in tackles while Glatt get sized up for another Grey Cup ring.
Blitz
Team Captain

You're right jlh2640...Javy Glatt is not as good against the run as Barrin Simpson. However he is a better blitzer than Barrin and a much better pass defender. In fact I consider Javy Glatt's pass defense exceptional from the linebacker position.

Javy has improved against the run but he's not a natural middle linebacker who can scrape and explode up into the gap. It's why I would prefer Jamal Johnson there, with Glatt sliding outside in the three linebacker set. However, when we have two fast linebackers in there at the same time in Otis Floyd and Jamal Johnson it will really help out our run defense, with Glatt playing middle.

However, Glatt's pass defense, in a league where the pass still dominates, makes him a valuable every down linebacker. Javy does make plays. His anticipation in the passing game along with his coverage skills are outstanding. Glatt also makes plays on the blitz and he has also made some excellent run stops even though it's still a work in progress.

Barrin Simpson was unhappy with his role in B.C. because Ritchie was taking him out of passing downs. The reason was evident..Barrin is not a great pass defender. While Wally tried to convince Barrin to stay with our Leos...in the end Barrin's decision was a good one for both the Bombers and our Leos.

The decision enabled Glatt to become an every day linebacker and I believed it was past the time that he moved into the starting lineup even though I preferred him outside rather than inside. Yes, Wally overpromoted Glatt's play early last season but Glatt continued to improve as the year went on and his key play in the Grey Cup was huge in what turned out to be a close contest.

Glatt is a very popular Leo with teammates and fans and is a very good fit, overall, for our defense. Barrin was unhappy here and he's gone to your Bombers where he has become a leader, an outstanding run stopping middle linebacker whose pass defense skills have improved.

Glatt is also a Canadian. That has nothing to do with his performance but it provides us with more options. Simpson also costs a lot for a middle linebacker under the salary cap.

Overall, they are two excellent linebackers with different strengths. Fans are lucky to have each one of them on their respective teams!! :thup:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
jlh2640
Rookie

Blitz wrote:
You're right jlh2640...Javy Glatt is not as good against the run as Barrin Simpson. However he is a better blitzer than Barrin and a much better pass defender. In fact I consider Javy Glatt's pass defense exceptional from the linebacker position.

Javy has improved against the run but he's not a natural middle linebacker who can scrape and explode up into the gap. It's why I would prefer Jamal Johnson there, with Glatt sliding outside in the three linebacker set. However, when we have two fast linebackers in there at the same time in Otis Floyd and Jamal Johnson it will really help out our run defense, with Glatt playing middle.

However, Glatt's pass defense, in a league where the pass still dominates, makes him a valuable every down linebacker. Javy does make plays. His anticipation in the passing game along with his coverage skills are outstanding. Glatt also makes plays on the blitz and he has also made some excellent run stops even though it's still a work in progress.

Barrin Simpson was unhappy with his role in B.C. because Ritchie was taking him out of passing downs. The reason was evident..Barrin is not a great pass defender. While Wally tried to convince Barrin to stay with our Leos...in the end Barrin's decision was a good one for both the Bombers and our Leos.

The decision enabled Glatt to become an every day linebacker and I believed it was past the time that he moved into the starting lineup even though I preferred him outside rather than inside. Yes, Wally overpromoted Glatt's play early last season but Glatt continued to improve as the year went on and his key play in the Grey Cup was huge in what turned out to be a close contest.

Glatt is a very popular Leo with teammates and fans and is a very good fit, overall, for our defense. Barrin was unhappy here and he's gone to your Bombers where he has become a leader, an outstanding run stopping middle linebacker whose pass defense skills have improved.

Glatt is also a Canadian. That has nothing to do with his performance but it provides us with more options. Simpson also costs a lot for a middle linebacker under the salary cap.

Overall, they are two excellent linebackers with different strengths. Fans are lucky to have each one of them on their respective teams!! :thup:
great post, you put allot of thought into this and i see everything that you have said here. But if i had to choose i would still pick simpson and im no bomber fan