ESk/Stamps Reffing Calls

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Anyone else think that the calls in the Eskimos final drive were questionable?
Entertainment value = an all time low
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Not only questionable, but excessive to say the least.

Not only did they overcompensate for allowing qbs to be hit in previous games by making phantom "roughing the passer" calls, but the entire flow of the game was completely disrupted by 34, count 'em, 34 penalties.

It was a disgraceful performance by the officials.

That isn't to say that Gass shouldn't have been turfed, because he should have. But as a fan watching the game, it was so stilted to watch as to be painful at times. And...the Esks get into the End Zone from the 2 in the 4th quarter, and they probably win.
Rammer
Team Captain

Solar Max wrote:Not only questionable, but excessive to say the least.

Not only did they overcompensate for allowing qbs to be hit in previous games by making phantom "roughing the passer" calls, but the entire flow of the game was completely disrupted by 34, count 'em, 34 penalties.

It was a disgraceful performance by the officials.

That isn't to say that Gass shouldn't have been turfed, because he should have. But as a fan watching the game, it was so stilted to watch as to be painful at times. And...the Esks get into the End Zone from the 2 in the 4th quarter, and they probably win.
Crazy how much the refs influenced this game, double ejection, the roughing the passer calls and how does Browner get a roughing the kicker on that play. If a ref is looking for a call there are plenty out there to call, but that smacked of despiration to me. At least there is noway Black can stand up and justify the calls on this game, I think.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

I tuned in late, but the roughing the passer call was eerily similar to the call that Carl Kidd got a couple years ago........a barely glancing contact to the side of the helmet........the league has said (although they haven't followed thru) that they want to protect QB's more in 2007, so the hands to the helmet was an easy call.

The roughing the kicker call was totally ludicrous......"contacting" the kicker was the most you could rationally call on the play.

I won't hold my breath waiting for Cowardly George Black to make the right decision.
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

Shi Zi Mi wrote:I tuned in late, but the roughing the passer call was eerily similar to the call that Carl Kidd got a couple years ago........a barely glancing contact to the side of the helmet........the league has said (although they haven't followed thru) that they want to protect QB's more in 2007, so the hands to the helmet was an easy call.

The roughing the kicker call was totally ludicrous......"contacting" the kicker was the most you could rationally call on the play.

I won't hold my breath waiting for Cowardly George Black to make the right decision.
The Kidd call came to mind for me as well, funny who was the QB then as well. As for his hand following through, I have a small problem with that. While he did move his arm up to block the throw, it is Rays arm that forces the defenders arm to glancing his helmet. If you are going to call that contacting the head on a QB, how is the Perry hit where it is his own impact causing the contact (much more severely I may point out, let alone with more serious results) to DD's head, not called.

It almost seemed as if the double toss out earlier in the game had the old "In the second half, I will make up for the call" syndrome affect to those two calls. Crazy that it was the head referee making those calls.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote: If you are going to call that contacting the head on a QB, how is the Perry hit where it is his own impact causing the contact (much more severely I may point out, let alone with more serious results) to DD's head, not called.
You know the reason. George Black covered for his officials' mistakes, and swept it all under the rug. So now that they've likely killed DD's career, they're going to go overboard to protect Ricky Ray.

I wonder if Braley has any pull with the CFL..... 8)
Luke
All Star

Solar Max wrote:I wonder if Braley has any pull with the CFL..... 8)
Oh c'mon now. We all know that David Braley is the "real" commissioner. :wink: Its funny because I was just looking at the Lions team website, and noticed that Bob Ackles is the team's Governor, meaning he represents the team at BOG meetings, etc., not David Braley.

Is David Braley the BOG Chairman? Or does the commissioner fill that role? I looked for clarification on the CFL website, and couldn't find any. If he is, then it makes sense for him not to be our Governor as well.
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

Luke wrote:
Oh c'mon now. We all know that David Braley is the "real" commissioner. :wink: Its funny because I was just looking at the Lions team website, and noticed that Bob Ackles is the team's Governor, meaning he represents the team at BOG meetings, etc., not David Braley.

Is David Braley the BOG Chairman? Or does the commissioner fill that role? I looked for clarification on the CFL website, and couldn't find any. If he is, then it makes sense for him not to be our Governor as well.

Ahem. Sorry, what was that? :lol:
Luke
All Star

Solar Max wrote:
Luke wrote:

Ahem. Sorry, what was that? :lol:
I actually wasn't sure how you meant that line about Braley having pull with the league, Solar Max. :?
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

I was being facetious, Luke. Not to worry, and it's a pleasure reading your posts. Please do it often. :beer:
lion24
Legend

Solar Max wrote:I was being facetious, Luke. Not to worry, and it's a pleasure reading your posts. Please do it often. :beer:
I always thought you were serious about everything?? :wink: :wink:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
Luke
All Star

Solar Max wrote:I was being facetious, Luke. Not to worry, and it's a pleasure reading your posts. Please do it often. :beer:
Thanks. :oops:
Solar Max
Hall of Famer

lion24 wrote:
I always thought you were serious about everything?? :wink: :wink:
About certain things that affect the game fundamentally, absolutely. But when push comes to shove, we all have to realize that it's an entertainment business that aims to make a profit by putting butts that have cash in their pockets in seats that would otherwise be empty. Humour can be a great tension releaser.

I admire David Braley for rescuing the Lions and being the best owner one could ask for, but in my opinion, the entire Board of Governors is woefully short sighted at times. Does anyone here remember the Carling contract that put al lot of extra cash in owners' pockets in the 80s? It caused teams to overspend to such a degree that many owners were forced out of the League, and the league itself fell from relevance. Those owners at that time felt that the Carling O'Keefe sponsorship would go on forvever, and that was folly on their parts.

I would dislike losing great entertainment because of the shortsightedness of the League, its Board of Governors, and its hired officials (who do a very good job, for the most part).

But after watching the Officiating travesties this past weekend, well, there seems to be very little light at the end (at least the Officiating) of the CFL's tunnel. Or perhaps it's just a case of tunnel vision.
Don Miller
Legend

:x No consistency on the calls. Calgary should have had at least one player ejected. The hit on Ray was borderline but if that was a penalty the hit on DD by Perry should for sure been one they missed. Calgary are way too undisciplined. The hot dogs were out there again, Deangelis and Nik Lewis. Gass for sure deserved to be ejected for throwing the helmet. I am sure the refs missed the Calgary player who precipitated it. Too bad they didn't play for a tie.
Peanut Butter Joe/Willie Show
kenny
Champion

Don Miller wrote::x No consistency on the calls. Calgary should have had at least one player ejected.
I may have missed something but none of the stamps threw any punchs. Two of them did get 15 yarders, but I don't think that they did anything to warrant an ejection. Comiskey (they guy that took the punch) didn't even push back or anything.

The roughing the kicker call was a joke.

The rougher the passer wasn't mush better.....I know there is a rule book and all but when it is cruch time like that maybe a no harm no foul policy might help out.