Bullet of a throw.......

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

mightybuck
Legend

midwestern wrote:
You tell what game has Buck started and finished and won
Well- how about Edmonton and Calgary last year - 2 huge games - those two alone and I believe Winnipeg

you know - Buck came into the game this year when Dave first went down and starting moving the team before diving for the goal line and hurting his hand

Then the next game he missed some guys and over threw a few - could it be his hand was hurting and thus not able to throw with the efficiency he has

Then the next game he is throwing with very sore ribs - I do believe that can also cause problems as well as long with turf toe - so he has been playing hurt. Give the guy a break - If Buck was stinking up the place and fully healthy that would be one thing - but with a hurt hand, sore ribs, turf toe - come on --

I just finished watching the movie 'cinderella man' again and when asked why he was now able to box the way he use to - braddock says "well for awhile I was boxing hurt" duh

So now they are wisely choosing to rest Buck - as far as his training camp is concerned that is all a matter of ones persception. It games that count and again it was Jarious who got most of the work in the preseason games and that did not allow Dave or Buck to get up to speed quick enough.

2 weeks of practice and most of the preseason games going to Jarious - Buck comes into the first few games and does nothing but hand off the ball, plays with injuries and you expect him to have the same efficiency he had last year ???

Of course comments made on here have to be taken with a grain of salt and one must consider the source

some are jackson fans
some are dave fans
some are buck fans
some are anti-those guys and have no confidence at all in a certain guy and cant wait till he has a bad game to unload
some are bias (me) I admit it
some are very knowledgeable
some are arm chair QBS with good opinions
and some have no clue
"The most competitive men love the most competitive game" Vince Lombardi

A true friend is someone who walks in when everyone else is walking out
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

mightybuck wrote:midwestern wrote:
You tell what game has Buck started and finished and won
Well- how about Edmonton and Calgary last year - 2 huge games - those two alone and I believe Winnipeg

you know - Buck came into the game this year when Dave first went down and starting moving the team before diving for the goal line and hurting his hand

Then the next game he missed some guys and over threw a few - could it be his hand was hurting and thus not able to throw with the efficiency he has

Then the next game he is throwing with very sore ribs - I do believe that can also cause problems as well as long with turf toe - so he has been playing hurt. Give the guy a break - If Buck was stinking up the place and fully healthy that would be one thing - but with a hurt hand, sore ribs, turf toe - come on --

I just finished watching the movie 'cinderella man' again and when asked why he was now able to box the way he use to - braddock says "well for awhile I was boxing hurt" duh

So now they are wisely choosing to rest Buck - as far as his training camp is concerned that is all a matter of ones persception. It games that count and again it was Jarious who got most of the work in the preseason games and that did not allow Dave or Buck to get up to speed quick enough.

2 weeks of practice and most of the preseason games going to Jarious - Buck comes into the first few games and does nothing but hand off the ball, plays with injuries and you expect him to have the same efficiency he had last year ???

Of course comments made on here have to be taken with a grain of salt and one must consider the source

some are jackson fans
some are dave fans
some are buck fans
some are anti-those guys and have no confidence at all in a certain guy and cant wait till he has a bad game to unload
some are bias (me) I admit it
some are very knowledgeable
some are arm chair QBS with good opinions
and some have no clue
The quote that precedes MB's post is a bit disingenuous if one looks back at what Buck did since arriving here in 2005 as the 4th QB. I think his first game vs Hamilton had him 3 for 3 and a TD and the coach practically apologizing for him killing them when they were down. He also won the pre-season game in Sask after JJ went down on the first play IIRC.

His appearances at home or on the road were for the most part highly successful with the possible exception of getting hurt in Winnipeg after a hot start and a TD right away. The Lions then collapsed in all aspects of the game and Milt Stegall scored 4 TDs in the 2nd half.

You almost got to ask which other QBs have done as much as he has in spot situations where at no. 4 position, you are not expected to play.

Last season he did similar feats.

This year I am firmly in the camp that says he didn't get the reps to fully be prepared and then got banged up and this doesn't help performance, it hurts it.

Pierce will return to his usual form when he heals up a bit.

When things aren't going purrfect it is good to remind oneself of what the player has done in the past. It is not hard then to conclude that in this case Buck's few uncharacteristic errors (INTs) this year do not make him a QB who has gone from seeming to be the heir apparent to the no. 1 job in BC to an also ran. Now that he is hurt, it is too easy to focus on a few errors and not the really good things he has done including some not bad stats. Yes, some of the play wasn't up to his usual standard in hitting all of his receivers but that will come again when he is not banged up and gets more playing time.

What Pierce has done with the Lions is far above what most young CFL QBs are able to contribute and is really quite remarkable. If I could I'd drag back a few threads that assessed his games and performances prior to this year as reminders both of those who don't see his potential as some of us and the success he had in helping his team to win.

I don't think for a moment the Lions see him as other than the future starter in a BC Lion uniform. I am sure that Wally Buono can think back to a few moments in Garcia's career in Calgary or even DD that weren't brilliant but he could see the potential and the need to be patient. Buck has not had anywhere near the bad moments of other QBs including current starter in Winnipeg, Kevin Glenn. Granted Kevin Glenn has had to start there but he did struggle to begin with many times over and now is helping them to play and win more than lose.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good post Toppy. Buck is the future alpha male of the Lion pack. I have more faith in him than I do in Jackson. My .02
Larry Key
Hall of Famer

Well, it's interesting to see how we all are so concerned about our QB's only 5 games into the season. I'm not overly concerned.... just glad to see this happening all at the front end of the season. If we can tweak a couple things, we're going to be OK. Still a long season ahead of us, lots of time to work out the wrinkles! We have three capable QB's in our line up.... how many teams can say that?? We lost to Sask., no big deal except the winning streak is done. We lost with all the injuries to our DB's and QB's PLUS a very short turn around from the Cal game. Add to that the lousy game planning and it's a recipe for failure. This one is done..... bring on the Bombers! :yes:
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Larry Key wrote:Well, it's interesting to see how we all are so concerned about our QB's only 5 games into the season. I'm not overly concerned.... just glad to see this happening all at the front end of the season. If we can tweak a couple things, we're going to be OK. Still a long season ahead of us, lots of time to work out the wrinkles! We have three capable QB's in our line up.... how many teams can say that?? We lost to Sask., no big deal except the winning streak is done. We lost with all the injuries to our DB's and QB's PLUS a very short turn around from the Cal game. Add to that the lousy game planning and it's a recipe for failure. This one is done..... bring on the Bombers! :yes:
The fact that this is happening early makes me question why the whole situation has Lowell so glum. If your team is going to struggle (and every team struggle) wouldn't you prefer it happens at the beginning of the season, rather than the end?
midwestlion
Starter

The quote that precedes MB's post is a bit disingenuous if one looks back at what Buck did since arriving here in 2005 as the 4th QB. I think his first game vs Hamilton had him 3 for 3 and a TD and the coach practically apologizing for him killing them when they were down. He also won the pre-season game in Sask after JJ went down on the first play IIRC.
Im not impressed with off the bench QBing. We are talking about Buck starting and finishing a game. This is still DDs team and it shows. Buck also had the OC genius in Chap as a crutch too. All Lions QBs dont look as good with Chap missing. JJ never got a fair opportunity (starting a game under chap). Buck has. In Bucks previouis starts I guarantee Chap put together a "safe" gameplan to protect their "green" QB. Obviously in JJs last start, 37 passing attempts, isnt what I call an efficient gameplan for a backup. This offense is a joke without Chap right now. Thank goodness for defense. :helmet:
midwestlion
Starter

The fact that this is happening early makes me question why the whole situation has Lowell so glum.
Because he has witnessed what a championship team looks lik and what a team that wins games but dont have it together "for real" (Grey Cup) looks like. I always thought this year that this team is a injury away from struggling. Buck is pretty injury prone. DD as well and for an offence with no indentity, BC cant afford those two out.