Bullet of a throw.......

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

midwestlion
Starter

6) Javy Glatt looked out of his element at times to me tonight, especially against Cates. That will cure itself, likely.
Always said he was overrated but hey :roll:

And I do think this is Jarious' 1st start right? Calm down. Buck would not have done any better.IMO Especially if the RUN GAME isnt on.
7) The Offence is simply not executing no matter what is called.
I hope this is not a news flash to anyone. Like this all year. Even JJ said the lost wasnt all "his fault" and I agree.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

midwestlion wrote:
And I do think this is Jarious' 1st start right? Calm down. Buck would not have done any better.IMO Especially if the RUN GAME isnt on.
Really? Does Buck throw an interception at his opponent's 20 yard line because he thinks he can rifle a pass into a double covered receiver?

Does Buck make the decision to throw short-side to a covered Geroy Simon?

I doubt it. This game was more than winable, despite the less than stellar play calling by the offensive braintrust. Jarious was not and is not capable of winning it. He is what you saw last night, which is what he's been since he came out of college. A qb in the Ware/Wynn/McMahon/Bishop mode who can scramble with a rocket arm with no touch and limited accuracy. Fans, and coaches, fall in love with these guys because they think they can be "coached up".

You cannot coach decision making, any more than you can coach speed. Now I'll grant you that the game plan did not utilize the talents JJ does have (other than passing attempts beyond 15 yards) as fully as it should have. But to sit here and say that JJ will improve with repeated starts and that "Buck would not have done better" is absurd.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Balraj wrote:To say that he has no football sense is going to far. Yes he's struggled but the only way he will get better is with game reps.
No it's not. For a 30 year old he looked absolutely terrible. No touch, no sense, no second read. He locked onto a received and tried to will the ball to him. Brutal.

As for getting better with reps. Not going to happen. Did you see the look on Wally's face? He has seen enough.
midwestlion
Starter

But to sit here and say that JJ will improve with repeated starts and that "Buck would not have done better" is absurd.
You tell what game has Buck started and finished and won. JJ was a victim of trying to scramble and win in 4th Qtr. All JJ should have done to match Bucks play is take his first read, not there, then scramble. Instead of JJ trying to force the ball. I dont think Buck has won a game by himself yet, couild be wrong. Im sure someone wil correct me though.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

midwestlion wrote:
But to sit here and say that JJ will improve with repeated starts and that "Buck would not have done better" is absurd.
You tell what game has Buck started and finished and won. JJ was a victim of trying to scramble and win in 4th Qtr. All JJ should have done to match Bucks play is take his first read, not there, then scramble. Instead of JJ trying to force the ball. I dont think Buck has won a game by himself yet, couild be wrong. Im sure someone wil correct me though.
Played a pretty good FULL game against Calgary last year and won. Beat Winnipeg as well. There are probably others.

Sorry midwestlion.............................Jarious Jackson is terrible.
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

Man, I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. Do people have that big of a hard on for Buck that they want to completely trash Jarious in a game where our "brilliant coaching staff" chooses to run the ball 9 FRIGGIN' TIMES WITH THE CFL LEADING RUSHER?! Yeah, it's all JJ's fault. It's his fault that our play calling was abysmal and it's his fault that our defence decided to give Matt Dominguez a 7 yard head start on every play.

JJ obviously didn't play well, but he wasn't really given a lot of help if you ask me. We talked earlier in the week about what we need to do in order to help Jarious out and almost everybody said to run the damn football. I don't know about you, but running the ball 9 times isn't really my idea of running the ball. We used play action which was nice to see, but when it's clear that the run isn't part of your game plan then how effective can you expect it to be?

Remember that we were playing the 'Riders who are probably the 2nd best team in the league and a very tough team to play when fully healthy, not the easiest situation to be in for your 1st start. Jarious didn't look any worse than Dave and Buck have been this year and yet by the sounds of some people here you'd think that Jarious was the worst QB ever.

Jarious hasn't been the only guy to force passes that end up in INTs. Am I the only one who remembers a certain Leo QB locking on to his first read and throwing into double coverage only to see his pass get picked off and a drive stalled deep in enemy (Hamilton) territory? :roll:
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Do people have that big of a hard on for Buck that they want to completely trash Jarious in a game where our "brilliant coaching staff" chooses to run the ball 9 FRIGGIN' TIMES WITH THE CFL LEADING RUSHER?!
Yes. Jackson is terrible
cromartie
Hall of Famer

No Ordinary Joe wrote:Man, I can't believe what I'm reading in this thread. Do people have that big of a hard on for Buck that they want to completely trash Jarious in a game where our "brilliant coaching staff" chooses to run the ball 9 FRIGGIN' TIMES WITH THE CFL LEADING RUSHER?! Yeah, it's all JJ's fault. It's his fault that our play calling was abysmal and it's his fault that our defence decided to give Matt Dominguez a 7 yard head start on every play.
There were open receivers that were missed repeatedly, as identified elsewhere upthread. Regardless of the play calling, which, as was also stated upthread wasn't stellar, you have to hit guys that are open. That is your job as a QB.

And perhaps you should pay more attention, because Dante Marsh consistently gives whomever he lines up against that kind of cushion. His closing speed, coverage, and tackling ability affords him that luxury. As such, the defense is designed around that. Glover obviously can't play the position the same way.

JJ obviously didn't play well, but he wasn't really given a lot of help if you ask me. We talked earlier in the week about what we need to do in order to help Jarious out and almost everybody said to run the damn football. I don't know about you, but running the ball 9 times isn't really my idea of running the ball. We used play action which was nice to see, but when it's clear that the run isn't part of your game plan then how effective can you expect it to be?
The pass sets up the run in the CFL, not the other way around. Again, if you're looking for a culprit in not getting help, refer to the area of the game plan that didn't play to the strengths of Jarius as a scrambler, as a rollout QB rather than a pocket QB, and when it did grossly overemphasized the short side of the field.

That said, he had more than his fair share of opportunities to produce, especially early and late in the game, and even with a flawed game plan, was still put in a position to win the game thanks to defense and special teams. He was the same player, tonight, as he was in every mop up role he's played in be it here or in Denver. He doesn't have it. He's never had it.
Remember that we were playing the 'Riders who are probably the 2nd best team in the league and a very tough team to play when fully healthy, not the easiest situation to be in for your 1st start. Jarious didn't look any worse than Dave and Buck have been this year and yet by the sounds of some people here you'd think that Jarious was the worst QB ever.
Really, could you find another quarterback performance from this season where a Lions QB completed less than half of his passes? Or played a full game and threw three interceptions? And how many players are on the Riders 9 game list again?
No Ordinary Joe
Legend

All of the QBs this year have missed open receivers, not just Jarious. I hope he gets another chance to start this season so a lot of you will be forced to eat your words. I knew this was going to happen though, if we lost it was all going to be pinned on JJ's shoulders. Anyways, no real use to debate since I'm not going to change anybody's mind about last night, I agree that he had a bad game, but I don't think he's useless or terrible or awful or any of the other adjectives people chose to label him with after only one start.
wildthing
All Star

Sir Purrcival wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:With all due respect to all the Jarius Jackson fans out there, I'm not impressed by his performance tonight. On the positives he read the blitz and threw to the right receivers, and was able to scramble out of some sticky situation. On the negative he continues to demonstrate what he has demonstrated in his limited playing time. He continues to miss wide open receivers, either underthrowing and overthrowing. He has no touch on his passes. His passes were on a rope all night. Several times receivers had to go on their hand and knees to scoop up passes from the turf. A couple of his interceptions wouldn't have happened if he put a little air on his pass and let the receiver run under it, instead of gunning it in their.
I agree with this assessment. The most distressing part was how many times this guy under threw a 5 yard out. No touch is the right way to say it. He looked completely out of sync tonight and the abandonment of the run game didn't help the situation. The play calling tonight was befuddling at times. Why throw a hitch to Simon in the 2nd Q on your own 10 yard line with 20 seconds on the clock, only to kneel down the following play? A pass that could be picked when you are trying to run out the clock??? On the other hand, we have our loss and now maybe that can act as a catalyst for some change. It is hard to complain when you play poorly but still win. Well, today, we saw poor play and it resulted in a loss.
the intent of that simple play is to get lots of blocking in front of Simon since the rider D should be playing off and hope he can move it closer to midfield. If that happens you have chance to go for a play to put you in FG range, if not. you kill the clock and take a knee with no further damage done.
MacNews
Team Captain

There was one play where Jackson had all the time he needed in the pocket...and he still made a throw that was an incompletion or INT!
sports & stuff----ric
Champion

if bucks heaLthy, that game is a blow out! bUCK IS 10 TIMES THE QB THEN JACKSON.

COMPARING JACKSON TO PRINTERS WHO WAS THE CFL OUTSTANDING PLAYER AND ONE OF THE MOST EXCITING PLAYERS TO PLAY IN THE LEAGUE IN A WHILE IS LONG STRETCH :shock: :shock:
wildthing
All Star

sports & stuff----ric wrote:if bucks heaLthy, that game is a blow out! bUCK IS 10 TIMES THE QB THEN JACKSON.

COMPARING JACKSON TO PRINTERS WHO WAS THE CFL OUTSTANDING PLAYER AND ONE OF THE MOST EXCITING PLAYERS TO PLAY IN THE LEAGUE IN A WHILE IS LONG STRETCH :shock: :shock:
repectfully disagree. The Leos haven't exploded on offense this year and the Rider D was strong. If Buck plays its a 3 point game that could go either way. With JJ it just made it easier for the Riders to hold a larger lead.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

wildthing wrote:
sports & stuff----ric wrote:if bucks heaLthy, that game is a blow out! bUCK IS 10 TIMES THE QB THEN JACKSON.

repectfully disagree. The Leos haven't exploded on offense this year and the Rider D was strong. If Buck plays its a 3 point game that could go either way. With JJ it just made it easier for the Riders to hold a larger lead.
I don't think it's a blow out, but I don't think you guys win either. At a minimum, Buck converts probably both late drives for majors.
wildthing
All Star

cromartie wrote:
wildthing wrote:

I don't think it's a blow out, but I don't think you guys win either. At a minimum, Buck converts probably both late drives for majors.
he may or may not have. but that also changes the entire dynamic of the game and the Riders do different things as well. the game would have played totally different start to finish so we will never really know what would have happened if Buck came in