Lowe's Bluff Called?

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Rammer
Team Captain

Burke called Lowe's bluff and let him take Dustin Penner and getting the draft picks as compensation.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good decision by Burke. Next year is supposed to be a deep draft year.
Rammer
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Good decision by Burke. Next year is supposed to be a deep draft year.

With the looks of the Oilers he may not have to go deep into the draft. :wink:
Entertainment value = an all time low
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

5 years for $21 million for Dustin Penner

Cement-head move by Lowe

Smart move by Burke; take the draft picks

Lowe's brain is sitting on the chair. He has lost it, Man.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

I dunno where the Oilers' salary total sits right now, but let's not forget that thanks to the new CBA, there's also a MINIMUM salary that teams have to cover. With all the big-money players fleeing Edmonton right now, Lowe probably not only has a lot to spend, but a lot that he HAS to spend just to meet that minimum. So the question becomes... why the heck NOT throw a bunch of big-money offer sheets around for some RFAs that could potentially be worth it? If other teams are pissed off about it, they have only their own owners to blame.

Think about it: Penner's only been one full year in the league; if he turns into a $6M or $7M player in the next 2-3 years, and Lowe has him locked up for 5 years at $4M... then who's laughing? Sure it's a risk, but what isn't, especially with power forwards? Look at how much Burkie dropped for Bertuzzi!
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Penner earned approximately $400,000 last season. Now he's getting paid $4 Million per. Nice raise if you can get it. Even our MLA's don't give themselves such a big raise. :roll:
lion24
Legend

Wait until Lupul gets 30-40 goals in Philly and then Penner gets under 20 in MacT's defensive style and the uproar of Oiler fans :roll: :roll:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
sports & stuff----ric
Champion

i think anyone would trade penner for 3 picks even if he was under contract.

if the oilers miss the playoffs , b urke get get the # 1 pick overall.

dumb move by lowe, and wait until he has a decent restricted free agent,
buffalo will be on the phone in a hurry
sports & stuff----ric
Champion

what i meant to say was burke COULD GET THE # 1 PICK
MacNews
Team Captain

sports & stuff----ric wrote:what i meant to say was burke COULD GET THE # 1 PICK
Burke said that with the performance of the Oilers under Lowe he will. :lol:
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:Burke called Lowe's bluff and let him take Dustin Penner and getting the draft picks as compensation.
His bluff? He wasn't bluffing, he really wanted to make him an oiler, hence signing him to a contract.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:5 years for $21 million for Dustin Penner

Cement-head move by Lowe

Burke couldnt match the offer cause hes paying a thug 4 million to play. Go figure. BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I hear you Bob.

Not a fan of Bertuzzi? Is Bertuzzi the $4 million per year thug you mention?

I was a bit surprised Burke gave Bertuzzi that contract. No one doubts Bertuzzi's talent. But it seems to me, in Bertuzzi's case, the elevator does not go all the way to the top floor. He is not a team player. He has his own selfish, immature agenda.

When he was a Canuck, I liked him well enough in his good year or two. But even then, he was sulky.

Bertuzzi is lucky though. How good a chance was it for him to go to Detroit this year for a possible playoff run with a top organization? Not bad! How good a chance is it for him to go to the Stanley Cup champion Ducks? Not bad!

He could have a pretty good year there.

Burke has had some good luck also. He walked into a great situation in Anaheim.

In terms of hockey ability, Bertuzzi is worth $4 million a year. The question is: is he good for a team?
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:5 years for $21 million for Dustin Penner

Cement-head move by Lowe

Burke couldnt match the offer cause hes paying a thug 4 million to play. Go figure. BB
Well actually he could. It would put him over, but he has till some time in October to clear things up. A few gm's have been in this position already.. namely NJ.

But I agree that Burtuzzi's contract is too high. Way too high. But, ya never know.
Soundy
Hall of Famer

I just love how a guy can do one stupid thing in a moment of frustration and forever afterward be branded a "thug". It's not like he went around beating the snot out of smaller players all the time, like a number of others.

I say everyone that's hating on Bert, we should dig back into THEIR closets, find one stupid thing they ever did, and then judge their entire existence based solely on that action.

[/rant]
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.