Players of the Month July

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

D
Team Captain

Rogers Players of the Month are selected for on-field excellence by members of the Canadian football broadcasters.

Offensive Player of the Month

SB – Milt Stegall – Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Highlights / Key Stats:

In addition to setting a new CFL all-time touchdown record, Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ Milt Stegall leads the League in receptions yards through the month of July with 406 on 26 catches and has helped the Bombers jump out to an early East Division lead with a 3-1-1 record. Stegall has three touchdowns this season.

The Bombers lead the League in several offensive categories, including most points scored and total offence.

Runner Up

QB – Kevin Glenn – Winnipeg Blue Bombers

RB – Charles Roberts – Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Defensive Player of the Month

LB – Barrin Simpson – Winnipeg Blue Bombers

Highlights / Key Stats:

On the defensive side of the ball, Bombers’ linebacker Barrin Simpson currently leads the CFL in tackles with 42, including two sacks. Simpson also has one forced fumble and an interception. The seven-year CFL veteran won two weekly awards in July for top defensive player.

Runner Up

DL – Fred Perry – Saskatchewan Roughriders

Special Teams Player of the Month

S – Barron Miles – B.C. Lions

Highlights / Key Stats:

In the first five games of the season, BC Lions’ safety Barron Miles has blocked a punt that was recovered for a touchdown and partially blocked another that led to a major. Miles has blocked 10 kicks in his career, two shy of the all-time record held by Gerald Vaughn.

Miles’ teams are 9-1 when he blocks a kick.

Runner Up

K / P – Damon Duval – Montreal Alouettes

WR – Jason Armstead – Saskatchewan Roughriders

Canadian Player of the Month

RB – Jesse Lumsden – Hamilton Tiger-Cats

Highlights / Key Stats:

Through the first five games of his first full season in the CFL, Hamilton Tiger-Cats’ running back Jesse Lumsden ranks third in rushing yards with 343 on 47 carries and fourth in combined yards with 561. Lumsden has 16 receptions for 218 yards.

Runner Up

DE – Brent Johnson – B.C. Lions
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well, I guess someone has to win these things but I'm not sure I am agreeing with the Winnipeg domination of Offensive Player stuff or even taking the defensive player category. Winnipeg to this point has had the softest schedule. Not really a surprise that they are doing pretty well in some statistical categories. Here we have a 5-0 team. 2 DL's tied for the lead in sacks and not one Lion is even in the running for Defensive Player of the Month??? Seems a bit weak.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Rammer
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:Well, I guess someone has to win these things but I'm not sure I am agreeing with the Winnipeg domination of Offensive Player stuff or even taking the defensive player category. Winnipeg to this point has had the softest schedule. Not really a surprise that they are doing pretty well in some statistical categories. Here we have a 5-0 team. 2 DL's tied for the lead in sacks and not one Lion is even in the running for Defensive Player of the Month??? Seems a bit weak.
GC are not built upon the PoM awards, in fact to some degree the Lions success and lack of recognition is a solid indicator on how the Lions are team deep in talent and have bought into the team concept. No worries.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

yeah thats true
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Scottish Leos Fan
Starter

Congrats to Barron & Brent. Brent Johnson has been great so far this year, but i can't argue with the top Canadian going to Jesse Lumsden. I thought Brent may have got the Defensive player though.
Lets Go Lions!
Blue In BC
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:Well, I guess someone has to win these things but I'm not sure I am agreeing with the Winnipeg domination of Offensive Player stuff or even taking the defensive player category. Winnipeg to this point has had the softest schedule. Not really a surprise that they are doing pretty well in some statistical categories. Here we have a 5-0 team. 2 DL's tied for the lead in sacks and not one Lion is even in the running for Defensive Player of the Month??? Seems a bit weak.
Yeah sure. The Argos and Stamps have been real powerhouses for the Lions competition