2004 Western Final - 4th Quarter Last Minute

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:I meant the decision to kick so quickly in OT - if Duncan misses, they lose.
Wally made a similar quick decision in OT that year when the Argos visited during the regular season, so it didn't come as a complete surprise that he would try it. Mind you, the attempt against TO was shorter (more like 41yds; IIRC in that case the kick came on the second play from scrimmage after a 1yd rush), the stakes weren't nearly as high, and I don't think the Argos were up by a single either!

I would think Wally realised the game-tying FG greatly buoyed O'Mahony's confidence -- it was easily his longest successful kick of 2004 -- so he decided to ride that wave. It's one of those decisions where you look like a genius when it works. If it didn't, I bet some of us here wouldn't live long enough to stop second guessing it.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Rammer
Team Captain

sj-roc wrote:
Tighthead wrote:I meant the decision to kick so quickly in OT - if Duncan misses, they lose.
Wally made a similar quick decision in OT that year when the Argos visited during the regular season, so it didn't come as a complete surprise that he would try it. Mind you, the attempt against TO was shorter (more like 41yds; IIRC in that case the kick came on the second play from scrimmage after a 1yd rush), the stakes weren't nearly as high, and I don't think the Argos were up by a single either!

I would think Wally realised the game-tying FG greatly buoyed O'Mahony's confidence -- it was easily his longest successful kick of 2004 -- so he decided to ride that wave. It's one of those decisions where you look like a genius when it works. If it didn't, I bet some of us here wouldn't live long enough to stop second guessing it.
Wally placed some thought of the Riders desperately trying to strip the ball on that final drive, no need to risk the ball by throwing it, just run the ball and set it up in the middle of the field so DO would have his best chance. Sound football if you have confidence in your FG kicker.
Entertainment value = an all time low
almo89
Legend

Sorry I don't have the OT clip because this was captured a long time ago. I never got to doing it and now I don't have the same video card anymore. Hopefully I can get some external one sometime.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

cedyboy wrote:would u have a clip of the OT as well?
And of the trophy presentation too. :yes: :wink:
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I also like your 2004 WDF highlights video.

I had forgotten that Chris Brazzell scored one of the Lions TD's. I wonder if it was a mistake for the Lions to lose him as a free agent.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

thanks for posting the clip! That's the first time I've seen video from that game. I remember listening to the game on the internet out on my deck and all my neighbours thought I had lost my mind because of the way I was jumping up and down and yelling at my laptop!

I also remember thinking the game was over when DD got sacked, and how I just about jumped through the roof when he hit JC82 on the next play. But I never realized how open 82 was on that play.
Krazy4football
prospect

Aw man...how could you? That was probably the most exciting game I have been to. It was hardest to take because we were that close to a trip to the Grey Cup. Let's hope Paul can return the favour..
Bring back Empire Stadium!
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Krazy4football wrote:Aw man...how could you? That was probably the most exciting game I have been to. It was hardest to take because we were that close to a trip to the Grey Cup. Let's hope Paul can return the favour..
He already did....last year....
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
jlh2640
Rookie

this game still haunts my dreams. No joke, That was one of the toughest losses i have ever experianced playing or watching sports. Burris was a possessed man on that last drive for the riders to take the lead. and Mcallums miss well we all know what that did to everyone. But Sask D being unable to stop Clermont was one of the biggest factors and Omahony made the kicks when it counted. But still i agree what an awesome game
Grade 10 is way harder than grade 9