Who are your top 5 pro football coaches ever? NFL or CFL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

I suppose one reason why it's hard to decide in the NFL is that there are four, previously five, NFL coach of the year awards:

1. AP NFL Coach of the Year
2. Sporting News NFL Coach of the Year
3. Pro Football Weekly NFL Coach of the Year
4. Maxwell Football Club NFL Coach of the Year
5. UPI NFL Coach of the Year (discontinued in 1997)

Last season, Sean Payton won all four coach of the year awards.

In the CFL, there is only one award for coach of the year, the Annis Stukus Trophy. Going by the number of times a coach has won that award, then Don Matthews runs away with it as a five time winner. Jack Gotta and Wally Buono are tied at second with three wins each. There are several two-time winners.
notahomer
Hall of Famer

I'm not putting either in my top five (others have already mentioned) but the #1 NFL personality makeover would be Dick Vermiel and for a similiar CFL style personality makeover Steve Burrato. Apparently both these guys went from being total SCREAMERS to rather mellow. I know the soft coach is not too popular but Vermiel/Burrato were both 0-fers in title games until they lightened up.
Lionut
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote: Vince Lombardi Run to Daylight. Undefeated in Championship games.
Not quite true -- his team lost the 1960 NFL Championship game to the Eagles.

I would nominate Bill Walsh in the NFL, for he was an innovator who truly changed the game forever, both in terms of the offense he ran and his coaching style. In the CFL, it would be Don Matthews without a doubt.
"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."