True Grid - a football play, stage variety.

Buy or Sell Tickets (non profit) Info about the BC Lions in the Community and where Lions fans gather for events like tailgaters

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Just thought I'd put in a plug for an upcoming event over in Edmonton. Linda Wood Edwards who many of you have met at Tailgaters when accompanied by her hubby Eskinator has written a play that will be running at this year's Edmonton Fringe Festival from August 18 through 26. Linda's first foray as a playwright entitled "Spring Alibi" was a resounding success at the 2005 Fringe Fest subsequently being selected to play in Washington, DC. So if you happen to be in Alberta during the Fringe Fest you might want to check it out. While it is up in Edmonton the opening night does coincide nicely with the Lions next visit to Calgary on August 17.

http://www.lue42.com:80/truegrid/truegrid.html

http://www.lue42.com/truegrid/linda.html
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
lion24
Legend

Hambone wrote:Just thought I'd put in a plug for an upcoming event over in Edmonton. Linda Wood Edwards who many of you have met at Tailgaters when accompanied by her hubby Eskinator has written a play that will be running at this year's Edmonton Fringe Festival from August 18 through 26. Linda's first foray as a playwright entitled "Spring Alibi" was a resounding success at the 2005 Fringe Fest subsequently being selected to play in Washington, DC. So if you happen to be in Alberta during the Fringe Fest you might want to check it out. While it is up in Edmonton the opening night does coincide nicely with the Lions next visit to Calgary on August 17.

http://www.lue42.com:80/truegrid/truegrid.html

http://www.lue42.com/truegrid/linda.html
I was interested until I saw it featured the voice of Bryan Hall :roll: AH what the heck I will probably check it out :thup: :thup:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
LFITQ
Team Captain

knowing Linda, the voice of Bryan Hall is probably in there to either add atmosphere or comic relief. And I'd bet on the latter ...

Definitely go check it out lion24. I'd be there in a heartbeat if I could.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Hambone
Hall of Famer

LFITQ wrote:knowing Linda, the voice of Bryan Hall is probably in there to either add atmosphere or comic relief. And I'd bet on the latter ...

Methinks you're correct about that Ken. Mention Hallsey to her and her eyes roll up just like everyone else's, Esk fan or otherwise. "What was that Farley? What happened Farley?"

Given she and Eskinator are diehard Esk fans and the play is showing in Edmonton I think there might be a bit of an Eskimo theme. However I suspect it begins and ends with the jerseys the actors wear and Hallsey's voice. She packed around a notebook to the Grey Cups to "capture" some of those hilarious Grey Cup moments that happen at the parties or afterparties. It won't surprise me if some of those "moments" will be revisited during the play. Only the names have been changed to protect the inebriated. Hopefully I didn't make it into her book. ;-)
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

I think one of her favourite words is "true".

I'd love to see it if I could!
lion24
Legend

LFITQ wrote:knowing Linda, the voice of Bryan Hall is probably in there to either add atmosphere or comic relief. And I'd bet on the latter ...

If that is the case I will be there!! :thup:
Thank you for everything you did for OUR Lions Mr.Ackles, we will never forget you...RIP
lion24
Legend

Hambone wrote:

Methinks you're correct about that Ken. Mention Hallsey to her and her eyes roll up just like everyone else's, Esk fan or otherwise. "What was that Farley? What happened Farley?"

Given she and Eskinator are diehard Esk fans and the play is showing in Edmonton I think there might be a bit of an Eskimo theme. However I suspect it begins and ends with the jerseys the actors wear and Hallsey's voice. She packed around a notebook to the Grey Cups to "capture" some of those hilarious Grey Cup moments that happen at the parties or afterparties. It won't surprise me if some of those "moments" will be revisited during the play. Only the names have been changed to protect the inebriated. Hopefully I didn't make it into her book. ;-)
I always liked it when Hall sent Farley down to the dressing room for post game interviews after the Esks lost as he would have probably been hung up by his feet by the players!! :lol: I think I can put away my Eskimo uneasiness for a day and see this show.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

lion24 wrote:I always liked it when Hall sent Farley down to the dressing room for post game interviews after the Esks lost as he would have probably been hung up by his feet by the players!! :lol: I think I can put away my Eskimo uneasiness for a day and see this show.
Unless work derails me I plan to be there for the opening performance on August 18, hopefully after an equally entertaining Friday night down at McMahon.
eskinator
All Star

I know you can see it on her site but here is the synopsis of what the play is about.

"4 guys x 20 football seasons = 80 years of bonding, rituals, and winning. Subtract 1 guy, add a lovely stranger, and risk breaking the streak. Join these devoted fans as they lose and rediscover their faith during an ill-fated season. Superstitious about anything? You'll relate to this comedy!"

Linda has written about something she loves! And don't be surprised if lines have been inserted from CFL fans you know!

A play about fans. Who can't get behind that?

Cheers everyone!
What concerns me is not the way things are, but rather the way people think things are - Epictetus
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

eskinator wrote:I know you can see it on her site but here is the synopsis of what the play is about.

"4 guys x 20 football seasons = 80 years of bonding, rituals, and winning. Subtract 1 guy, add a lovely stranger, and risk breaking the streak. Join these devoted fans as they lose and rediscover their faith during an ill-fated season. Superstitious about anything? You'll relate to this comedy!"

Linda has written about something she loves! And don't be surprised if lines have been inserted from CFL fans you know!

A play about fans. Who can't get behind that?

Cheers everyone!
Holy...
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I took in "True Grid" on Saturday night and give it two paws up! Very nice piece of work by Linda.
Dan_Payne_fan!!
Hall of Famer

dang its too bad i wont be in edmonton till the labour day weekend
2012 Season Ticket Holder
Rammer
Team Captain

Green and gold forever; Three diehard fans love their Eskimos
The Edmonton Sun
Thu 23 Aug 2007
Page: 52
Section: News
Byline: BY CHAD HUCULAK, SPECIAL TO SUN MEDIA

TRUE GRID

STAGE 7

Men (and a fair share of women) love their hometown sports teams and Edmonton is no exception.

While the CFL may not have nearly as many face-painted, bare torso freak fans as the NFL, the Edmonton Eskimos have a crew of diehard season ticket holders who are there for every home game to cheer the team on.

True Grid, by Linda Wood Edwards, is a comedy about a group of hardcore Eskimo fans and their relationships with each other and more important, to their team.

Based in 2006 during the Eskies' historic 34-year playoff streak, three friends, Coach (Kevin Tokarsky), James (Stewart Burdett) and Thomas (Andy Northrup), meet up in their usual season ticket holder seats with their numerous rituals and superstitions to see the team to another victory. When a cog (Mary played by Sue Huff) is thrown into the fan ceremonies, it threatens to tear their entire fan world apart.

True Grid focuses on the absurd superstitions of these football fans, such as favourite jerseys, preferred snacks and even seating arrangements, and if anything is out of place, it is enough to send them all into a tizzy, especially Coach, whose entire life revolves around his intricate set of practices and rules.

Sports fans and even those who can't throw a football, let alone sit through a play about the sport, will find plenty to like in True Grid. Edwards's script features jokes so polished and witty it begs to become a pilot for a television sitcom. These three "superfans" are losers with characteristics hitting so close to home you can probably relate them to an uncle or two.

The star player of True Grid is Coach and any time he is on stage, all eyes are glued to him. His mannerisms and facial expressions are so professional and just downright enjoyable, they will lead to heaps of rightful praise for Tokarsky.

This guy plays Coach so expertly, you'll be surprised he hasn't taken the wacky neighbour role in some television sitcom.

Broad humour matched with Eskimo in-jokes makes True Grid a true touchdown.
Entertainment value = an all time low
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

Congrats to Linda (True42) Edwards. She is quickly becoming a very successful playwright!

Way to go Linda! Couldn't happen to a better person. :beer: We'll see you in November (or I hear maybe October????) :)
http://www.cflfansfightcancer.com :: Ask me how you can help us raise money for Cancer research and treatment on behalf of CFL fans.
OrangeShoes99
Hall of Famer

http://www.cbc.ca/ondemand/newsatsix/edmonton.asx

Linda and her play were featured on the local CBC news in Edmonton. If you would like to check it out, click the link above and forward to around the 39 minute mark. :)