This is Buck's team

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

sj-roc
Hall of Famer

prairielion wrote:
LukeN wrote:I really like all our QBs, and I count my blessings every week that we have three QBs capable of starting, and executing our offense at a level that allows us to win football games.

Dickenson and Pierce are hurt right now, and we still have a capable third stringer who can get the job done. How many teams can boast that!! Take any other teams top two QBs away from them and see whats left. I guarantee it isn't pretty. Probably looks something like Mike McMahon!! :wink: I like JJ, and I hope he makes the best of his opportunity. I think we need to get behind whoever stands under centre, and let them know that for today, your the man, and we got your back!! :thup: :roar: :rockin:
Couldn't agree more. In my history of following the Lions, this is the first time that I can say that I think we have a legitimate shot at winnig a game when starting our third string QB.
Let's go JJ.
When was the last time we even had a 3rd string QB start? I know Caravatta started in 1995 @ Baltimore, but off the top of my head I don't remember any since that.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

This criticism of Buck stems, in my view, from the Lions desire to keep playing him while he's been hurt just like they did Casey Printers when he was hurting with turf toe, etc.

To be jumping off the Pierce band wagon all of a sudden is to forget how well he played here his first two seasons and did more than most guys with his tenure in the CFL. He will be fine once he heals up.

Wally was saying that today too. He has a lot of upside and no one is doubting him least of all his team, his coaches and others in the CFL. He will be a legit top level QB in the CFL and he is well ahead of most with his two years and 5 games here.

By the logic here, Garcia, McManus, Khari Jones, Russ Jackson, Don Getty, Kenny Ploen, Kent Austin, Damon Allen, Ron Lancaster and Anthony Cavillo would have all been written off early in their third years in the CFL.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Yank In BC
Hall of Famer

He will be fine once he heals up.
And then how long till he is banged up again. BP fans cant rag on DD and how he is injury prone as Buck hasn't shown his ability to stay healthy either, and this goes back to his New Mexico days as well.
I have my head up my butt - 120db
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Who would you have taking the snaps from center, Buck Pierce or Henry Burris ?
Luke
All Star

sj-roc wrote:
prairielion wrote:Couldn't agree more. In my history of following the Lions, this is the first time that I can say that I think we have a legitimate shot at winnig a game when starting our third string QB.
Let's go JJ.
When was the last time we even had a 3rd string QB start? I know Caravatta started in 1995 @ Baltimore, but off the top of my head I don't remember any since that.
Giulio started a game for us? I had forgotten about that. How did that go for him? If he was facing Baltimore in '95, I can't imagine it went well. Although, I'm probably understating Giulio's skills as a QB.
hexx

Last start by a Canadian QB in the CFL
Tighthead
Legend

I'm not saying he should be written off, or that I want Henry Burris taking the snaps. I don't think that was in any way implied. To my eye, Buck has been locking on to his first read way to much this year. He still has solid potential, but even when he was healthy this year, I didn't think he showed his best.
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Tighthead wrote:I'm not saying he should be written off, or that I want Henry Burris taking the snaps. I don't think that was in any way implied. To my eye, Buck has been locking on to his first read way to much this year. He still has solid potential, but even when he was healthy this year, I didn't think he showed his best.
Agreed.
midwestlion
Starter

Agree with tighthead. I have always said that buck is overated. Coming off the bench is WAY different from starting and finishing a game. Luckily for him, he got enough excitement around him to get an extension. Id rather see Jarious to be honest.

Buck is first read then run. Gotta get better. 5-0 is only good if you make it to the big dance and the way injuries and QB play is going, it is hard for me to excited about the playoffs.

If any other team had the Dline we had we would be in trouble. I.E. Hamilton
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

midwestlion wrote:Agree with tighthead. I have always said that buck is overated. Coming off the bench is WAY different from starting and finishing a game. Luckily for him, he got enough excitement around him to get an extension. Id rather see Jarious to be honest.

Buck is first read then run. Gotta get better. 5-0 is only good if you make it to the big dance and the way injuries and QB play is going, it is hard for me to excited about the playoffs.

If any other team had the Dline we had we would be in trouble. I.E. Hamilton
Not agreed. Buck is good, very good; especially with the CFL game. He just needs more time.
midwestlion
Starter

Not agreed. Buck is good, very good; especially with the CFL game. He just needs more time.
He definately has a good arm. His mental game is not up to par yet which is quite crucial. A lot of unemployed QBs have good arms not the mental game. I think all you have to do is take Bucks scramble away and he is in trouble.
David
Team Captain

midwestlion wrote:
He definately has a good arm. His mental game is not up to par yet which is quite crucial. A lot of unemployed QBs have good arms not the mental game. I think all you have to do is take Bucks scramble away and he is in trouble.
A little early to be writing off Buck Pierce isn't it? "Mental game not up to par?" Ummm, despite a nearly 74% pass completion rate last year and 109 efficiency rating last year!?! :roll:

While I'll grant you his decision making hasn't been quite as sharp this year, let's all just take a deep breath here. It's only Week 6. You can't dismiss the fact that he's been severely hampered by injury, virtually from the start of his first appearance AND has been working with new receivers this year (Rodgers, Mock, and even Simmons to a certain extent).

Yes, I'm a fan of Jarious Jackson and can't wait to see what he can do, but let's give Buck a little time before writing him off. :x

DH 8)
Roar, You Lions, Roar
O'Shea

:bawl: This thread is a tough read for me. Poor Buck! :sigh:

Come on now.... this kid has talent. Wally knows it, most of us know it too. Buck is still a little green, he will make mistakes, sure his feet are a little too happy at times, but he is smart and learns from his mistakes. He is a smart, talented athlete who is doing his best to stick it out in the trenches when he has injuries. Why? Because that's what was expected of him by his coaches, team and fans.

I think Buck is young enough he can still heal quickly if given the chance to. With DD being out, there has been tremendous pressure on this kid to step up and fill some pretty talented shoes in a big hurry. Why didn't we just go to Jarious when DD went out?? Because Buck earned the #2 spot. JJ wasn't quite there last year.

Let's not forget that JJ is ALSO guilty of getting nervous, not settling down and making some bonehead plays..... last season it was very apparent while he was playing at home in the dome. JJ has his chance to prove he can execute under pressure, in front of a hometown crowd against a team that is HUNGRY for a win against our Leos. I hope for his confidence, he does it.... he's got talent... he just needs to settle down.

We have a talented QB roster, each has their own set of unique gifts and talents to bring to the game. On field, game time experience is the only way these guys are going to continue to develop and with the more field time they get, the chances of them getting banged up out there increases.

Let's all just cut these boys some slack!!! We just beat the Stamps with our 2nd & 3rd string QBs and a sea of injuries!!! :helmet:

P.S. I just passed a coworker of mine in the hallway, she sustained the same rib injury to Buck's this past weekend and is having trouble breathing, talking and walking. I shudder to think what it must be like to be on the field with that much pain and an entire opposing line looking to crush you into the turf! :sigh:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

LukeN wrote:
sj-roc wrote:
prairielion wrote:Couldn't agree more. In my history of following the Lions, this is the first time that I can say that I think we have a legitimate shot at winnig a game when starting our third string QB.
Let's go JJ.
Giulio started a game for us? I had forgotten about that. How did that go for him?
The Lions lost.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
LukeN wrote:
sj-roc wrote: When was the last time we even had a 3rd string QB start? I know Caravatta started in 1995 @ Baltimore, but off the top of my head I don't remember any since that.
Giulio started a game for us? I had forgotten about that. How did that go for him?
The Lions lost.
I just looked it up in the 1996 FFR -- 28-26 with a GWFG by Huerta with 0:11 left.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.