Clermont Note of Interest

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

wildthing wrote:
Rammer wrote:
wildthing wrote:
that clears up money this year, how does that benfit JC next year unless he gets a purely front loaded bonus and small contract, something Wally might not want to do because of the dangers.

The decision is JC's and his wife's. I suspect his wife wants to remain in Regina otherwise they would reside in Vancouver already. Best of luck getting him signed he is a huge weapon for the Leos and hopefully for the Green Guys next year
A $100K in a signing bonus this season goes along way in a three year contract. He only need to re-up his current contract at $140K and he would be $33K ahead in bonuses each season, although it would all be paid out up front of course.
Do the Leos have the space even if DD hits the 9 game list? I suspect Wally signed some individuals to some lucrative deals with the assumption DD wouldn't play for a portion of the year due to injury (Bucky has a huge deal for a backup IIRC).
That doesn't make a lot of sense :? ..........why would Buono anticipate that he would be putting DD on the 9 game IR?.......as that's the only way for any portion of his contract to be exempt from the SMS. :?

As for LION82, he and Buono are supposed to get together during the break (Week 9 for the Lions) and discuss contract further......if the Lions do put DD on the 9 game IR, there would definitely be room for some "pot sweetening". :cr:

LION82 turned 29 at the end of may......I could see him sign with the Lions through the 2009 season and then spend a couple of years in Rider green to enhance himself in the community where he wants to pursue his real estate career.........makes good business sense.........load up with GC rings for 4 seasons then go back to the home province (sorry.....couldn't help myself :wink: ).
Lloyd
wildthing
All Star

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
wildthing wrote:
Rammer wrote:
A $100K in a signing bonus this season goes along way in a three year contract. He only need to re-up his current contract at $140K and he would be $33K ahead in bonuses each season, although it would all be paid out up front of course.
Do the Leos have the space even if DD hits the 9 game list? I suspect Wally signed some individuals to some lucrative deals with the assumption DD wouldn't play for a portion of the year due to injury (Bucky has a huge deal for a backup IIRC).
That doesn't make a lot of sense :? ..........why would Buono anticipate that he would be putting DD on the 9 game IR?.......as that's the only way for any portion of his contract to be exempt from the SMS. :?

As for LION82, he and Buono are supposed to get together during the break (Week 9 for the Lions) and discuss contract further......if the Lions do put DD on the 9 game IR, there would definitely be room for some "pot sweetening". :cr:

LION82 turned 29 at the end of may......I could see him sign with the Lions through the 2009 season and then spend a couple of years in Rider green to enhance himself in the community where he wants to pursue his real estate career.........makes good business sense.........load up with GC rings for 4 seasons then go back to the home province (sorry.....couldn't help myself :wink: ).
With DD's injury history it is a very safe business decision to over pay early with the assumption that a savings will happen when he hits the 9 game list. Teams have to fall in line at the end of the year to the 4.05 million. I would think all teams are currently floating some guys on the 9 game to ensure they comply. In BC's case it might have been a given that Dave and thus $200K would hit the 9 game and allow for cap compliance.

I am aware that JC is talking to Wally on the break, have seen the article. Pen to paper is much differen than talks. In the end I hope he waits and signs in green, but I wouldn't be suprised to see him stay in BC.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

"Floating" guys on the 9 game IR :? ......why would a team pay a player that they can't use for half the season unless it was a legitimate injury :?

DD has never been on the 9 game IR, why would Buono anticipate that he would miss half a season in one shot this year........particularly at his salary level, :?

Sorry man, but your logic escapes me.
Lloyd
Lionheart
Hall of Famer

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
Sorry man, but your logic escapes me.
There is no logic there.. Spock's head would explode if he read that *poop*.
crburrows
Champion

Rammer wrote:
wildthing wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:In the "every cloud has a silver lining" theme........if the Lions finally come to their senses and put DD on the 9 game/week IR.......this would free up $150K-$200 in SMS room.........room that could go a long way to getting LION82 and JJ's name on new contract extensions.

Hello Wally........are you lurking?
that clears up money this year, how does that benfit JC next year unless he gets a purely front loaded bonus and small contract, something Wally might not want to do because of the dangers.

The decision is JC's and his wife's. I suspect his wife wants to remain in Regina otherwise they would reside in Vancouver already. Best of luck getting him signed he is a huge weapon for the Leos and hopefully for the Green Guys next year
If I'm correct, the signing bonus is amortized over the life of the contract - the difference being that it's guaranteed; the salary is not guaranteed - if the player is cut, no salary, but the signing bonus is paid.
Rammer
Team Captain

crburrows wrote:
Rammer wrote:
wildthing wrote:

If I'm correct, the signing bonus is amortized over the life of the contract - the difference being that it's guaranteed; the salary is not guaranteed - if the player is cut, no salary, but the signing bonus is paid.
The bonus is up to the club and player on the order of payout, which all teams took liberty of paying out a bonus at the GC bonus exemption window. They paid out the coin then and didn't have to amortize the amount over the contract, SMS exempt. If you have the room on any given SMS season, a wise team would take advantage of that window thus reducing the following years salary hits.
Entertainment value = an all time low