Roughriders: Round 2

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Luke
All Star

lion24 wrote:Your thoughts on the Riders are very similar to my thoughts on the Esks?? :lol: :lol: It is a result of the places we live as Lion fans and If I lived in any other city as a Lion fan I guess it would be similar. But it makes it that much sweeter when the Lions beat the Riders or Esks or they win a Grey Cup :thup:
Totally agree. I'm also a Lion fan living in Saskatchewan, and you learn to dislike certain qualities about the Riders and their fans sometimes. I'm sure its the same if you're a Lions fan living in Edmonton, or a Rider fan living in Calgary.
wildthing
All Star

looking forward to agreat game. Riders play well in BC over the past 5-6 years (regular season) so I expect the same on Thursday. JJ has what it takes but this all about D and the Riders D hopefully is up for the challenge. Look for a a more disciplined Rider team and more protecting of the ball. Its going to be a good one hoefully the Riders come out on top to slow some mo down on the coast
Rammer
Team Captain

wildthing wrote:looking forward to agreat game. Riders play well in BC over the past 5-6 years (regular season) so I expect the same on Thursday. JJ has what it takes but this all about D and the Riders D hopefully is up for the challenge. Look for a a more disciplined Rider team and more protecting of the ball. Its going to be a good one hoefully the Riders come out on top to slow some mo down on the coast
I am not so sure that you want to pin a ground game on Cates against the Lions, KK never had any success against the Lions, I don't see Cates as an upgrade to KK. When the Riders have success offensively and do limit their turnovers, it is Joseph carrying the ball, but the Lions seem to have adjusted for this in the last couple of games, so I hope that the DB's are healthy enough to make this a battle of mistakes as I think that our D is better at that game than the Riders, so far.
Entertainment value = an all time low
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Nice to see Schultz pick the Riders to win this one.

With the Lions' injury situation, all the pressure is on the Green and White to produce under the dome on Thursday night. Will be interesting to see how Joseph responds to it given his last 2 starts against Ritchie's ever-changing looks on defence.

And it's almost a must win if the Riders want to stay in touch of first place. A loss would open up a 4 game lead for the Lions and give B.C. the season series.
Rammer
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:Nice to see Schultz pick the Riders to win this one.

With the Lions' injury situation, all the pressure is on the Green and White to produce under the dome on Thursday night. Will be interesting to see how Joseph responds to it given his last 2 starts against Ritchie's ever-changing looks on defence.

And it's almost a must win if the Riders want to stay in touch of first place. A loss would open up a 4 game lead for the Lions and give B.C. the season series.
Potentially a 2 and a half game lead if Edmonton was to win over Calgary....

I agree if the Riders lose this one the Lions are driving their own ticket to first place. Riders have all the pressure and I hope that the media can hype that aspect up when they come to town.
terencius

Rammer wrote:

I agree if the Riders lose this one the Lions are driving their own ticket to first place. Riders have all the pressure and I hope that the media can hype that aspect up when they come to town.
Pressure???? Hmmm..... it seems to me that all the pressure is on the undefeated home team.

Two great Defences going at it. SHould be a great game.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

terencius wrote:
Rammer wrote:

Pressure???? Hmmm..... it seems to me that all the pressure is on the undefeated home team.

With its third string QB making his first-ever CFL start and as many as four other starters out on defence as well?

Not a chance.

Statement game for a healthy Riders team given what happened last time at Mosiac and if they want to challenge for first in the West or continue to tread water with the Stamps and the Esks.

Joseph also has A LOT to prove.
Last edited by SammyGreene on Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
LFITQ
Team Captain

terencius wrote:
Rammer wrote:

LOL sorry Terry, but if the Lions lose it isn't going to bethe end of the world. In fact I think many are predicting the Lions to lose.

However, if the Riders lose what does that say about them? 3rd string QB, so many injuries to key personnel and a bigger gap to try and close as the season goes on for first place. With 5 wins already and the injury bug the Lions have, losing this game to the Riders isn't going to be seen as being so terrible for the club.

This is probably as close to a"must win" game that you can get at this EXTREMELY early junction in the season for the Riders.
Now that I don't live in Quesnel do I need to change my handle??
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

This is probably as close to a"must win" game that you can get at this EXTREMELY early junction in the season for the Riders.
Yup. Pressure is squarely on the Riders shoulders.
wildthing
All Star

Rammer wrote:
wildthing wrote:looking forward to agreat game. Riders play well in BC over the past 5-6 years (regular season) so I expect the same on Thursday. JJ has what it takes but this all about D and the Riders D hopefully is up for the challenge. Look for a a more disciplined Rider team and more protecting of the ball. Its going to be a good one hoefully the Riders come out on top to slow some mo down on the coast
I am not so sure that you want to pin a ground game on Cates against the Lions, KK never had any success against the Lions, I don't see Cates as an upgrade to KK. When the Riders have success offensively and do limit their turnovers, it is Joseph carrying the ball, but the Lions seem to have adjusted for this in the last couple of games, so I hope that the DB's are healthy enough to make this a battle of mistakes as I think that our D is better at that game than the Riders, so far.
Cates is not KK, very different in running styles and ability. Cates can bruise and attack the middle, KK undresses defenders with speed. So I expect a healthy does of Wes on the ground and through the air as he wins in LB mismatch. HB just raped your d for 400+ yards in the air, if KJ makes wise decisions with no turnovers half that can win the game. This game is going to be a great one, a slobber knocker if you watch WWE. I also suspect that Murphy or Jiminez will be tossed from the game trying to make up for their inabilty to protect Dave from Fred Perry and that might tilt the scales the Riders way. BC has won only one game in commanding fashion. It was against the Riders in a mistake filled game with little offense from BC due to a short field. I think in an error free game the results are much tighter no matter who the BC QB is because neither offense has run away with big yardage this year.
chub

Big Time wrote:
Joshua wrote:
no question...take away that crappy half in Edmonton and the Riders have played excellent ball against everyone except BC.
Ever stop to think that the reason they played so crappy was because the Lions are just that good? It seems like after every Lion win, the losing coach says "We played terrible, if it weren't for the turnovers, we would have beaten the Lions".

Hello? The Lions defense is destroying teams. It isn't teams not playing their best and the Lions taking advantage. It's the Lions defense playing so well that they are exposing their opponents as the mediocre teams that they are. Statistically, the Riders may have the second best defense in the league, but on the field, there is no comparison. The Lions destroyed the Riders in Regina and they will do it again on Thursday night in Vancouver.
I hope then with comments such as this, that if the riders do indeed beat the Lions on thursday night, you dont use injuries as an excuse for losing, because that would make your words look pretty meaningless. I think itll be a close game, and I dont think you saw a well prepared riders team the last time out. Your defence is deserving of many kudos, and that I will give, because you are right they played well and got the lions the win. But theres a reason we play the games, and dont just hand out 2 points in the standings. Lets see what the story is on Thursday. Best of luck to both teams and their fans.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

wildthing wrote:
Rammer wrote:
Cates is not KK, very different in running styles and ability. Cates can bruise and attack the middle, KK undresses defenders with speed. So I expect a healthy does of Wes on the ground and through the air as he wins in LB mismatch. HB just raped your d for 400+ yards in the air, if KJ makes wise decisions with no turnovers half that can win the game. This game is going to be a great one, a slobber knocker if you watch WWE. I also suspect that Murphy or Jiminez will be tossed from the game trying to make up for their inabilty to protect Dave from Fred Perry and that might tilt the scales the Riders way. BC has won only one game in commanding fashion. It was against the Riders in a mistake filled game with little offense from BC due to a short field. I think in an error free game the results are much tighter no matter who the BC QB is because neither offense has run away with big yardage this year.
You do realize that the "raping" by Burris was primarily on a secondary that lost 2 starters mid game and had a grand total of 1 DB playing the same position at the end as at the start.......with at least 1 DB playing a position he had never practiced.

If you're counting on that happening again, I could see why you would think KJ will have no problems.

I don't know why you would think that the Riders are capable of an error free game. :?

The problem with bravado is that it's usually followed by a nice size serving of crow.

Good luck to both teams and here's hoping that there's no injuries anywhere on the field.
Lloyd
wildthing
All Star

Shi Zi Mi wrote:
wildthing wrote:
Rammer wrote:
You do realize that the "raping" by Burris was primarily on a secondary that lost 2 starters mid game and had a grand total of 1 DB playing the same position at the end as at the start.......with at least 1 DB playing a position he had never practiced.

If you're counting on that happening again, I could see why you would think KJ will have no problems.

I don't know why you would think that the Riders are capable of an error free game. :?

The problem with bravado is that it's usually followed by a nice size serving of crow.

Good luck to both teams and here's hoping that there's no injuries anywhere on the field.
they were turnover free the first 2 games of the year so they are capable of error free football. As for the Leos secondary, it remains banged up and thus vulnerable.

Not sure where my bravado is, I saw Calgary exploit a weakness which will still be there in some form on thursday. I have not predicted a blowout merely that the Riders are very capable of beating the Leos no matter who the QB. Historically the regular season matchups are close.
Shi Zi Mi
Hall of Famer

wildthing wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:
wildthing wrote:

they were turnover free the first 2 games of the year so they are capable of error free football. As for the Leos secondary, it remains banged up and thus vulnerable.

Not sure where my bravado is, I saw Calgary exploit a weakness which will still be there in some form on thursday. I have not predicted a blowout merely that the Riders are very capable of beating the Leos no matter who the QB. Historically the regular season matchups are close.
There's a huge difference when a team has to adjust midgame and players are playing out of position, as compared to when replacement players have practiced and prepared at their new starting positions........IMHO, the Lions' DB's were far more vulnerable in the 2nd half of the Calgary game then they will be against the Riders.

As for bravado, the only reason I responded to you was because you chose to use the word "raped".......that's bravado that is totally unnecessary in making a point.
Lloyd
Rammer
Team Captain

wildthing wrote:
Shi Zi Mi wrote:
wildthing wrote:

Wildthing I think I loath you! J/K

Your first two games were not against the Lions D correct? Where the Lions excel at disrupting KJ is from their front 7, all in tact for this match by the way. Don't let blind optimism drive your bravado, the Lions may not get 7 turnovers, yet they will rattle and hum KJ to the point that you to won't care for the result.

On any given Sunday, on any given Sunday WT.